Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Che

I used to go see Celtic play at least 6 times a season for many years, and the last time i saw them was in the wembley cup in the summer, they outplayed spurs all over the pitch in the last match and played some excellent passing footbal, since then in my opinion everythings went on a downward spiral.

I love the club but since Martin O'Neill left we've been subjected to a cost cutting exercise. Gordon Strachan's footballing philosophy was poor, get a goal and defend. You cant argue with his achievements though regardless of how he got them. Celtic's style has always been to play attacking football and entertain, which in the end meant Strachan had to go, everyone grew sick of watching crap football.

Ok cue Mowbray, now he's a man who plays attacking football the board thought, Owen Coyle doesnt want the job, we'll get him. A former Celtic player, keep the fans happy.

Since those two sunny days in wembley, everything else has been absolute pish! He can talk all day about things improving getting goals etc, but the simple thing is they arent coming.

The board have two choices, throw some money behind him and let him buy players who will better the team. Or sack him! Until the end of the year im willing to give him a chance.

Celtic are 37% owned by a billionaire, what on earth is stopping them from buying decent players? Mowbray's hands are partially tied by the limited resources the board are giving him. When we are competing with the likes of wolves, stoke, wigan, bolton etc for players that in itself should be evidence that the club is on a downward spiral.

Until the team starts performing, Mowbray gets to spend some money and buy a decent striker, I wont be wasting a basic £200 for a weekend to watch Celtic draw with the likes of Falkirk.

Im sure theres many more frustrated fans like me!

T Fearon

noises coming out now about Mc Geady having his price.Sounds ominous,looks like he could be on his way

clarshack

rumours about senderos joining on loan though bayern are reportedly interested in him too.

Celt_Man

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8468860.stm

Arsenal confirm Celtic interest in Philippe Senderos

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has confirmed Celtic's interest in Swiss defender Philippe Senderos.

The 24-year-old has been linked with a move to Glasgow, although no firm offer has been made.

"There is an interest from Celtic, yes," Wenger told Arsenal TV Online. "It may happen. We have Sol Campbell and we have four centre-backs.

"Philippe needs to play. He has not played for a long time and he needs to if he wants to go to the World Cup."

Senderos, capped 33 times for his country, began his career at Servette before joining Arsenal in 2003.

He spent last season on loan at AC Milan and was linked with another loan move, this time to Everton, last summer.

His appearances for Arsenal this season have been restricted to two League Cup ties, both of which the Gunners won.

Celtic last week sold Gary Caldwell to Wigan, but have already signed another defender in Dutchman Jos Hooiveld, who arrived from AIK Stockholm.

Meanwhile, Darren O'Dea has returned to Glasgow from his loan spell with Reading and featured in Celtic's 1-1 draw with Falkirk on Saturday.

So he has played for Arsenal and AC Milan in the past season and a half - jaysus you could almost be forgiven for thinking he was of any use!!! ;D ;D ;D
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

The Worker

Senderos would do a job for the remainder of the season.

Archie Mitchell

McGinn with the winner tonight. Would like to see him get a good run in the team.

If Celtic do decide to cash in on McGeady, they could get £12m for him, especially if Birmingham are interested. Would be good to take that and buy 2/3 quality players to strengthen the side even more.

The Worker

TM. said before the match on BBC radio Scotland, that Celtic will announce a new signing tomorrow, and that it wasn't Senderos...........

Club Rossa

Thank God for the Tyrone man last night ;)

Morton must be bad if they can't even score against our defence.

Declan

Former Celtic assistant manager and player Murdo MacLeod has had a stable night in hospital after heart surgery.

The 51-year-old remains in intensive care following an operation to replace the aortic valve.

MacLeod is in the Golden Jubilee Hospital in Clydebank after being admitted on Wednesday evening after a period of sudden illness.

His family are hopeful of a recovery for the BBC Scotland football pundit and newspaper columnist.

They say they have received hundreds of supportive messages from across the football community.

MacLeod started his career with Dumbarton, enjoying success with Hibernian and Borussia Dortmund after playing more than 280 times in midfield for Celtic and receiving 20 caps with Scotland.

He went on to play for and Partick Thistle and managed the Glasgow club, also enjoying a spell as manager with former club Dumbarton.

MacLeod returned to Celtic as assistant manager under Wim Jansen, helping the club win a league and league cup double in their only season in charge.

He now has a career as a newspaper columnist and football pundit with BBC Scotland's Sportsound radio programme.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Another young fella!

Celtic sign former Stabaek defender Thomas Rogne 

Rogne has been training with Celtic at their Lennoxtown complex
Celtic have confirmed the signing of Norway Under-21 central defender Thomas Rogne after the 19-year-old left Stabaek on freedom on contract.

Rogne has signed on a three-and-a-half-year contract, with his former club due a compensation payment.

Celtic manager Tony Mowbray said: "He's only 19 but has had good experience in the Norwegian league.

"Thomas has a bright future and will be training with the first-team squad and competing for a place in the side."

Rogne is the second central defender to be signed by Mowbray this month following the arrival of 26-year-old Dutch defender Jos Hooiveld from AIK Stockholm for a fee of about £2m.

Mowbray played down reports that Celtic were in line to sign Philippe Senderos on loan from Arsenal as they seek replacements in defence after the sale of Gary Caldwell to Wigan Athletic.

He said that Rogne was not a "major signing" but was a significant one, perhaps an indication that the manager is looking to the long-term rather than immediate success from his new recruits.

"Sometimes you build the club with marquee players and other times you bring players in who you wait to blossom," Mowbray told BBC Scotland.

Norwegian Rogne has impressed on trial at Celtic's training centre over the past few days after leaving his former club in his homeland.

"Thomas is a young player we've watched for a while and we're delighted to bring him to the club," said the Celtic boss.

"We've had a chance to have a look at him in recent days at Lennoxtown and he's shown up well.

"He has all the physical attributes and personality to be a success at Celtic.

"Like Josh Thompson and Milan Misun, Thomas is a big part of our future plans in defence.

"We are bringing these talented players to the club in order to ensure the foundations are in place for the coming years."

Thompson, signed from Stockport County in the summer for £250,000, made his debut in Saturday's 1-1 draw at home to Falkirk.

However, Misun has yet to break into the first-team since being brought to Celtic Park from Dukla Pribram by previous manager Gordon Strachan last January.

Rogne, though, is determined to make a quicker impact with the Glasgow club.

"I'm absolutely delighted to sign for a club of Celtic's stature," he said. "It really is a dream come true to join such a famous club.

"I've already joined training with the first-team for the last few days and I have received a great welcome and have enjoyed very much working with the manager and players at Celtic.

"The Celtic first-team is where I want to be and I'll be doing my very best to try and make an impact and ensure that I can achieve this as soon as possible."

Tbc....

T Fearon

Is it to much to ask that Celtic sign a player that we've actually heard of?

the colonel

Tony do you mean sign someone like Graveson, Donati, Camara, Juninho, Hedman or someone like Petrov, Lubo, Mjallby, Joos, Bobo, Boruc and dare I even say the King of Kings??

Be careful of what you wish for Tony
the difference between success and failure is energy

lynchbhoy

I still laugh at my brother for moaning about signing Larsson !
The bit I saw of him in the 94 world cup made me think he was a promising enough 'winger' !
Most of Celtics best players in the past number of years have been discarded by other teams - Lubo, Larsson, Sutton, BBJ, Mjallby, Reiper, Thompson ....
same can be said of rangers too imo

T Fearon

Yeah, but Larsson and Lubo were the last "unknowns" who turned out to be good players, and that was nearly ten years ago.

What about pursuing the likes of St Ledger, Shane Long (surely Celtic would be a better bet than Reading) etc. Even signing Senderos would send out the right signals....at least we've heard of him!