62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

lynchbhoy

Quote from: bennydorano on January 05, 2010, 06:44:48 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 04, 2010, 09:49:58 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on January 04, 2010, 09:23:32 AM
I am not making any case for Strachan, though you have to admit he did win three titles and gave us some great European occasions.

It is my view that Celtic are in a worse place now than this time last year and I don't see any signs that Mowbray is the man to turn things around.
strachan was also responsible for gifting away two titles and while a couple of great years and last 16 in CL were fantastic - the alternative seasons where Celtic were a joke and beaten out the gate even the achievements up.

Martin O'Neill lost at least one if not two league titles in last day fiascos.
one with an aging team, no money to spend and distracted by a wife diagnosed with Cancer - but apart from that yes .

but which of those managers would you prefer to have !

Myles Na G.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 06, 2010, 10:31:26 AM
I am not making any case for Strachan, though you have to admit he did win three titles and gave us some great European occasions.

It is my view that Celtic are in a worse place now than this time last year and I don't see any signs that Mowbray is the man to turn things around.
strachan was also responsible for gifting away two titles and while a couple of great years and last 16 in CL were fantastic - the alternative seasons where Celtic were a joke and beaten out the gate even the achievements up.

one with an aging team, no money to spend and distracted by a wife diagnosed with Cancer - but apart from that yes .

Yeah, 'cos he got Lennon, Sutton, Hartson and Thompson for free.  :o :o

the colonel

Seems like Celtic are going to make their first signing- McCauley from Derry. We have been keeping them afloat!
the difference between success and failure is energy

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 06, 2010, 12:49:52 PM

wonderful knowledge of Celtic yet again - were these signed in the last year or so of MON's Celtic reign ?
::)

Myles Na G.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 06, 2010, 01:44:10 PM

wonderful knowledge of Celtic yet again - were these signed in the last year or so of MON's Celtic reign ?
Nope - they were signed in the early days, thus laying the foundation for O'Neill's successful tenure at CP. Unfortunately, neither Strachan nor Mowbray were given the same cash to splash. This makes Strachan's success all the more praiseworthy, in my view.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 06, 2010, 03:56:21 PM

Nope - they were signed in the early days, thus laying the foundation for O'Neill's successful tenure at CP. Unfortunately, neither Strachan nor Mowbray were given the same cash to splash. This makes Strachan's success all the more praiseworthy, in my view.
so we have established that MON didnt have money to spend at the end of his Celtic reign, and the money he did spend only took Celtic from the depths from where they were , to then be in a position to finally compete with rangers and euro teams etc
strachan arrived and took an aging yet higher level side and fecked it up - much the same as he is doing with boro right now...
strachan took Celtic down a bit and Mowbray is having to rebuild  and doing a decent job of it

so what you are saying  about strachan being good is just your opinion - much as the reverse opinion on him  is mine !

Minder

At least you are willing to give Strachan a bit of time at Boro Lynchboy. His cause was greatly helped by their two best players being sold (Tuncay & Huth) before he arrived
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

T Fearon

Lads I think a little perspective is called for here. Strachan is not as bad as his detractors would have you believe and the team he inherited from O'Neill was over the hill, thats why they lost the title at Fir Park on the last day of the 2004/05 season. Also in his final season, O'Neill was able to bring in the likes of Bellamy (on astromical wages) albeit on loan.

Some of the signings he made were excellent, Boruc, Nakamura, Vennegoor of Hesselink etc, yet for all that, I don't think anyone would argue he's in O'Neill's class as a manager. Nevertheless I thought he did a reasonable job in rebuilding an ageing team and providing a few priceless European nights at Parkhead.

As for Mowbray, I really can't see any signs of him ever being a trophy winning manager. He is an advocate of good football but that is no recommendation in itself. Willing to suspemd judgement on him for the rest of the season and I hope he roves me wrong.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Minder on January 06, 2010, 04:20:12 PM
At least you are willing to give Strachan a bit of time at Boro Lynchboy. His cause was greatly helped by their two best players being sold (Tuncay & Huth) before he arrived
I thought he'd not be too bad there - but a lot of boro fans seem to have lost patience with him already
see this excerpt below - sent to me by a friend who got it from a boro message board

------------------------
My patience is running really thin, real, really thin. Gorden my friend, you are making Southgate look ultimately professional.

I fear the wrong bloke is in place to do it.Everybody at Oakwell knows he is getting it wrong big style.His substitution yesterday was beyond belief.certain players are frozen out for no apparent reason.
-----------------------
I get the feeling that people are getting carried away with our 3 0 home win against a newly promoted team who have hardly won a match all season; and who had to cope with having only 10 men for 80 minutes after us being awarded a shady penalty that never was in a million years.

How can we celebrate a win like that. Im not saying we didn't deserve a bit of the luck other teams have had against us for the last 3 seasons; Im just not going to get carried away winning a match we should be winning even against 11 men.

Well, it looks like business as usual after yesterdays awful performance by the players; and yet more inept decisions by the inept manager we find ourselves with. The decision to play Arca instead of Yeates is puzzling to say the least. Ali was left out because of a slip of the tongue when he said he wasn't impressed by Strachans appointment in his post match interview; and that is despite Strachan saying he was injured. He continues to play Johnson despite his obvious lack of interest; and playing Hoyte out of position at left back is neither helping the team or Hoyte himself.

This post is not about Gareth, it is about Strachan. I know some of you are bored having to read the same argument but I will shut up if you stop avoiding the question and answer it.

The question is; please tell me of of just one tiny improvement Strachan has made since his arrival.

Are we higher in the league?
Are we playing better football?
Are we scoring more goals?
Are we conceding less goals?
Are our tactics better?
Are the team selections and formations better?
Have we accumulated more points over the second 1/4 of the season than we did in the first?
Are we still within 1 point from the top?
Has Strachans appointment guaranteed us promotion through an automatic place at the first attempt?
Are the players trying harder under Strachan?
Have the crowd figures gone back up to an acceptable figure?

Can anyone answer yes to any of the above questions?

Strachans only achievement so far has been our home form is now as good as our away form.

Did anyone see the Newcastle Derby County match last night. 0 0. Makes our 2 0 home win against Derby look like a good result doesn't it.

I dont have anything against Starchan as such. I just dont believe he is right for us. I said a few weeks ago that St Ledger would probably not complete his move here because he only came for Gareth. I know he didn't set the place on fire but his form dipped when Gareth was sacked. If Strachan cant handle the likes of him what chance do we have. Strachan could not even persuade him to stay here on a much better contract and better money than Preston are paying him.
--------------------
im so livid with the chuckle brothers, manager, coaching staff and playing staff. i have lost all hope for this season if we finish within 5 points of the play offs by the end i will consider that a decent posistion based on current form. Sad
--------------------
My question only refers to what improvement the appointment of Strachan has brought us.

From what I am told the St Ledger affair is as follows.
He only came here after Gareth impressed and St Ledger was a massive fan of Gareth's both as a player; and what he was trying to do as a manager. He has not got on with Strachan since his arrival and has held the sacking of Gareth against him. He doesn't like Strachans ethics or values and dislikes even more his pettiness. St Ledger had made up his mind almost immediately that he did not want to stay the minute Gareth was sacked. Nothing that Strachan was going to say would have changed his mind.

We have lost 1.5 mil plus his wages for the loan period because Lamb agreed to pay without ensuring the players signature. Gareth did not negotiate the terms of the contract.

The falling out between Strachan and St Ledger did not help matters, but he still would have gone regardless.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myles Na G.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 06, 2010, 04:17:17 PM

so we have established that MON didnt have money to spend at the end of his Celtic reign, and the money he did spend only took Celtic from the depths from where they were , to then be in a position to finally compete with rangers and euro teams etc
strachan arrived and took an aging yet higher level side and fecked it up - much the same as he is doing with boro right now...
strachan took Celtic down a bit and Mowbray is having to rebuild  and doing a decent job of it

so what you are saying  about strachan being good is just your opinion - much as the reverse opinion on him  is mine !
He fecked it up how? By winning 3 league titles and taking the Hoops to the last 16 in the CL, something the Blessed Martin never achieved even with all his millions? If that's fecking it up, I wish Mowbray would do the same.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 06, 2010, 04:55:45 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 06, 2010, 04:17:17 PM

He fecked it up how? By winning 3 league titles and taking the Hoops to the last 16 in the CL, something the Blessed Martin never achieved even with all his millions? If that's fecking it up, I wish Mowbray would do the same.
a hell of a lot easier after the legacy (winning) that MON left behind for him
plus what about the two fiascos in CL that MON would have never allowed happen - plus artmedia bratislava
MON's teams only threw away one league (as we mentioned there was huge distraction at that time for him) - strachan did two

anyhow watch him at boro and how well he is doing there... ::)
seems to have money to spend as well ...

saffron sam2

Quote from: Evil Genius on January 05, 2010, 12:43:23 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 04, 2010, 11:18:09 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on January 04, 2010, 10:48:29 PM
I personally hope Walter Smith (someone I actually admire for being an "old school" manager) chews his bollox off, in order to get him back on track, otherwise a potentially outstanding NI No.9 will fail to fulfil that potential.

Feck, twice in one post. You're doomed, man.
I've read this a couple of times and I'm still not sure what you mean.  ???

Sorry, a touch ambiguous. I was agreeing with your point about Walter Smith. Hence we have found common ground twice in one post. 

P.S. I'm still waiting for you to explain why you think I might be "proud" of Lafferty's shocker of a tackle in an Old Firm game... ::)

I was unaware you were still waiting an explanation, given that you appear (albeit erroneously) to have attempted an explanation yourself.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Evil Genius

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 06, 2010, 08:31:55 PM
P.S. I'm still waiting for you to explain why you think I might be "proud" of Lafferty's shocker of a tackle in an Old Firm game... ::)

I was unaware you were still waiting an explanation, given that you appear (albeit erroneously) to have attempted an explanation yourself.
You don't get off that easily.

I repeat, why did you assume that I would have been "proud" of a (terrible) tackle by Lafferty in an OF match?

Is it because I am a "Prod/NI fan/bigot" etc, so am sure to love it when another "Prod/NI player/bigot" etc nearly cripples one of them "Celtic/Fenian/Taig bas tards" at Parkhead?

If so, you couldn't be more wrong and unless you can come up with some other plausible explanation for your outburst, then that comment says everything* about you, and sod-all about me.

* - In case you still don't get it, try Googling the word "Prejudice"; you know, pre-judging   and all that... ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Main Street

Why don't you 2 kids take your ambiguities, explanations, misunderstandings, self realisations and general toilet banter to another thread 

saffron sam2

Quote from: Evil Genius on January 06, 2010, 09:38:45 PM
I repeat, why did you assume that I would have been "proud" of a (terrible) tackle by Lafferty in an OF match?

Because yourself and young Kyle have loads in common. Both of you are products of the Fermanagh and Western and have moved on to bigger and better things (marginally so in Lafferty's case), whilst not forgetting where you're from. Lafferty's tackle is one that, in my experience, any Fermanagh and Western player would have been proud of.

Quote from: Evil Genius on January 06, 2010, 09:38:45 PM
Is it because I am a "Prod/NI fan/bigot" etc, so am sure to love it when another "Prod/NI player/bigot" etc nearly cripples one of them "Celtic/Fenian/Taig bas tards" at Parkhead?

If so, you couldn't be more wrong and unless you can come up with some other plausible explanation for your outburst, then that comment says everything* about you, and sod-all about me.

* - In case you still don't get it, try Googling the word "Prejudice"; you know, pre-judging   and all that... ::)

Whilst I am googling "Prejudice", you could also google the word "Paranoia". There are several other "Prods/NI fans" (sic) who post on this site and many other "Prod/NI players" (sic) who I have commented on in the past (and will do so in the future). Yet your paranoid theory would only stand up if I was denouncing each and every one as a bigot. I don't and won't. Had I said "all owc posters who post on the gaaboard would be proud" then you may have had a point. You don't and never will.

My opinion of you is based solely on what you post here and on owc.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet