?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on January 03, 2010, 02:51:51 PM
It was typical Mowbray, pleasing on the eye football without any cutting edge (as evidenced by the relatively few clear cut chances created from a wealth of possession), and unbelievably we still concede goals from set pieces, which never happened to any great extent under Strachan. We trail one of the worst Rangers teams of all time (who were missing players to-day due to the African Nations Cup) by 7 points, knocked out of the CIS Cup by Hearts and a shambolic Europa League campaign.
disagree Tone.
Celtic went from being fantastic at set pieces (scoring and defending) under MON, to being inept at both under strachan.
Mowbray cant do much more other than get the players to do extra shooting practice as everything else was perfection from Celtic. Fast attacks, less wasting of passes, superb passng moves and not just for the sake of them, hard work from all players used, tracking back, discipline (when was the last time Celtic didnt get a yellow card in a derby match).
I think Mowbray is getting them right but for the disasterous shooting and Gary caldwell not being a natural centre half (ie he didnt attack the ball like most traditional centre halves are supposed to therefore allowing mcculloch a very easy sloppy goal) - so I wont be joining any campaign to oust the manager....I think he is doing very well.
Compare that to how strachan has taken a promotion playoff placed 'Boro and where they are now in mid table...
Lambert is still cutting his teeth and is some way off being ready to take on a big job yet....rem the Staunton fiasco with Ireland !

T Fearon

I am not making any case for Strachan, though you have to admit he did win three titles and gave us some great European occasions.

It is my view that Celtic are in a worse place now than this time last year and I don't see any signs that Mowbray is the man to turn things around.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on January 04, 2010, 09:23:32 AM
I am not making any case for Strachan, though you have to admit he did win three titles and gave us some great European occasions.

It is my view that Celtic are in a worse place now than this time last year and I don't see any signs that Mowbray is the man to turn things around.
strachan was also responsible for gifting away two titles and while a couple of great years and last 16 in CL were fantastic - the alternative seasons where Celtic were a joke and beaten out the gate even the achievements up.

We have differing views, this time last season Celtic were running away with the title but to me were luckily winning and I worried that they would capitulate if any pressure was put upon a team operating at maximum capability ....
this season Celtic are still a team trying to find best form and get into a rhythm - yesterdays complete outclassing of rangers shows that in playing terms they have what it takes , and if they can get the def right (strachan buying caldwell would be a start) plus get a striker that can score - then they will be pushing on from yesterday , knowing that they are by far the best side in the spl.
It stands them in good stead for next season under mowbray irrespective of whether they win the league this year or not (which I still think they can do).
I am far more confident of Mowbray than strachan - though neither is MON.

charlieTully

Quote from: Celt_Man on January 03, 2010, 11:37:55 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on January 03, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
Just seen the replay of he gers goal, who was on the front post???
No one and that's the problem someone on the backpost only...

Terrible game, Celtic missed some amount of chances.. Samaras  especially and he seemed to take the wrong option in the last third of the field more often than not

hoe was it a terrible game, best old firm game i have been at for a good while, McGeady was outstanding, think we would have won comfortably with skippy on, fortune and samaras too similiar and neither can fuckin score. saying that samaras created chances for himself out of nothing, just a pity the lad cant hit the net more often, it was a great performance from celtic bar the obvious mistake of having no one on the back post for that corner. not leaning fromprevious mistakes.

Main Street

I don't know if it's Mowbray's defensive coaching or the centre halves or more probably it's a mix of both for the defensive lapses.
N'Guema looked to take up Crosas's position around the near post but raced out once the ball was in the air.
Looven's standards have dropped a crucial bit after early season proficiency. Is Caldwell's ineptness chipping away at his resolve?
McDonald is about the only goal poacher in the squad but he is a curate's egg of a player.
Mowbray's team has done well once he stumbled/settled on his best starting 11, obviously needs a better ratio of goals to chances and something done with the centre halves.
Celtic just need to keep on track and the title should be theirs.

T Fearon

I don't know. Mowbray looks a lot like Brady to me, a practitioner of pretty football without any end product. Also yesterday didn't seem to hurt him, he was apparently "sanguine" about the referee disallowing the goal from Fortune. You need to have a ruthless streak as a manager and I see no evidence that he has one.

The big fear is that Mc Geady will be lost to the Premiership, there were loads of Premiership representatives there yesterday to have a look and they no doubt would have been impressed.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on January 04, 2010, 02:14:50 PM
I don't know. Mowbray looks a lot like Brady to me, a practitioner of pretty football without any end product. Also yesterday didn't seem to hurt him, he was apparently "sanguine" about the referee disallowing the goal from Fortune. You need to have a ruthless streak as a manager and I see no evidence that he has one.

The big fear is that Mc Geady will be lost to the Premiership, there were loads of Premiership representatives there yesterday to have a look and they no doubt would have been impressed.

I think Mowbray doesnt want to be seen as a bad loser or a whinger at refs - so wont moan when Celtic lose or whinge when refs mess up with big decisions.
I think he is dead right.
The Irish media moaned and whinged when Ireland were beaten by France - but thats part and parcel of sport. Someone has to lose and refs are not always right !!

I used to think McGeady was irreplaceable - but there are a few reasons now that would not be as unhappy for him to move on (esp if Celtic would take in a large wad of cash for him).

hopefully caldwell will be signed by strachan !

Celt_Man

Quote from: charlieTully on January 04, 2010, 12:47:20 PM

Terrible game, Celtic missed some amount of chances.. Samaras  especially and he seemed to take the wrong option in the last third of the field more often than not

hoe was it a terrible game, best old firm game i have been at for a good while, McGeady was outstanding, think we would have won comfortably with skippy on, fortune and samaras too similiar and neither can fuckin score. saying that samaras created chances for himself out of nothing, just a pity the lad cant hit the net more often, it was a great performance from celtic bar the obvious mistake of having no one on the back post for that corner. not leaning fromprevious mistakes.

Hmm perhaps I should re-phase that to terribly frustrating game... that alright? :)
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

charlieTully

Quote from: Celt_Man on January 04, 2010, 02:59:14 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on January 04, 2010, 12:47:20 PM

Hmm perhaps I should re-phase that to terribly frustrating game... that alright? :)

we are all in the same corner mate, i share your frustration big time but i am optimistic after watching that yesterday. hail hail.

saffron sam2

Can't for the life of me see why Fortune's goal was disallowed. Shocking decision.

Nor can I see how Kyle "There could be uproar and I'd have to consider my international career [if I signed for Celtic]" Lafferty hasn't been lifted by the Glasgow Polis. Shocking tackle. Hope Evil Genius is proud.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Celt_Man

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 04, 2010, 08:56:53 PM
Can't for the life of me see why Fortune's goal was disallowed. Shocking decision.

Nor can I see how Kyle "There could be uproar and I'd have to consider my international career [if I signed for Celtic]" Lafferty hasn't been lifted by the Glasgow Polis. Shocking tackle. Hope Evil Genius is proud.

Heard about Fortuné's goal on the radio before I got into watch the game, it said it was a terrible decision... Saw it at half time and had to agree, minimal if any contact

Haven't seen that rat's tackle yet, any highlights of it online yet?
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

T Fearon

In fairness in the modern game when a forward challenges a goalkeeper for a high ball and scores, the keeper nearly always gets the foul and free kick.I also thought there was a hint of offside about Mc Donald's goal.

For all their possession Celtic created little enough and with the brittle defence (much more brittle than Rangers who have a centre half approaching 40) I wouldn't put my mortgage on this Celtic team and manager winning anything

saffron sam2

Quote from: Celt_Man on January 04, 2010, 09:25:21 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 04, 2010, 08:56:53 PM

Heard about Fortuné's goal on the radio before I got into watch the game, it said it was a terrible decision... Saw it at half time and had to agree, minimal if any contact

Haven't seen that rat's tackle yet, any highlights of it online yet?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8438767.stm

37 seconds in.

McDonald was onside. Fearon remains a fool.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

T Fearon

Look at his positioning when the cross was delivered. He is arguably in front of the last defender. Marginal enough.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: T Fearon on January 04, 2010, 09:35:01 PM
In fairness in the modern game when a forward challenges a goalkeeper for a high ball and scores, the keeper nearly always gets the foul and free kick.I also thought there was a hint of offside about Mc Donald's goal.

For all their possession Celtic created little enough and with the brittle defence (much more brittle than Rangers who have a centre half approaching 40) I wouldn't put my mortgage on this Celtic team and manager winning anything
2nd time you've said that and it's still wrong. Samaras had two excellent chances, one in the first half which he put wide and one in the 2nd which produced a fine save from McGregor. He also had a decent half chance in the 2nd half when he miscued a half volley. McGeady had 2 excellent chances in the 2nd half, blazing one over the bar and pulling the other wide of the goal. Robson hit the bar with a header and made a horlicks of an admittedly difficult volley. Fortune had a goal disallowed. McDonald scored from his one chance. I make that about eight decent or half decent chances, from which we got one goal. Rangers had one chance, one goal. Poor finishing and poor defending cost Celtic the extra 2 points. What's worrying is that this was against a poor Rangers team, playing poorly, without 2 or 3 of their most influential players, at Celtic Park. The Hoops will never have a better chance of winning an Old Firm match and it didn't happen.