62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: DennistheMenace on August 19, 2009, 03:20:21 PM
Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 19, 2009, 03:18:44 PM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on August 19, 2009, 03:10:02 PM
Chelsea had success before Roman money came to Stamford bridge though, a face quite a lot of football fans seem to miss to suit their own argument.
My whole argument precisely.

We're not allowed to agree. I agree with whoever isn't agreeing with you.
I disagree with that.
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

bingobus

Quote from: Doogie Browser on August 19, 2009, 03:12:00 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on August 19, 2009, 02:32:11 PM
why do the english fans on here feel the need to tell all celtic fans how bad their team is, I dont think anyone on here would not acknowledge the gulf in class (money) however last night boruc wasnt tested, two freak goals and for my mind an absolute definate penalty waved away for celtic at 1-0, celtic did little else than hold arsenal for the majority of the game but they did that and had more of the ball in the second half. Well done arsenal though I would still be wary of the second leg, and think celtic could get a draw out of it.

Europa cup football isnt the end of the world, just disappointing when celtic shouldn't have been in the position needing to qualify!
It has become cool to hate Celtic in recent times, I know of people who take delight at Rangers winning the league ahead of Celtic which is sad.  I have great affinity for Celtic, they are a well run club with an enviable fan base.
Good luck to Arsenal but it is still plain to see that when a game gets physical they have no match in the middle of the park, until that is addressed their trophy free run will continue.

Far from it been that people hate celtic, its probably the case that when Celtic get a result in Europe, generally at home, we are told about how they would win the EPL in a few years if they got the chance. This is far from the truth and Celtic fans have problems facing up to that.

lynchbhoy

Chelsea had success before Roman money came to Stamford bridge though, a face quite a lot of football fans seem to miss to suit their own argument.
before amhramovitz's money ....but not before hardings money

certainly the resurgence of chelsea from the div 2 oblivion was kickstarted by massive financial investment.
roman A's additional investment raised them a level higher.

...but chelsea et al didnt buy their way to the top  ::)
Celtic would do likewise if they had the funds. All clubs do - so dont go fooling yoursleves lads !
chelsea did buy their way up ! and then up again !

lynchbhoy

Quote from: bingobus on August 19, 2009, 03:28:16 PM
why do the english fans on here feel the need to tell all celtic fans how bad their team is, I dont think anyone on here would not acknowledge the gulf in class (money) however last night boruc wasnt tested, two freak goals and for my mind an absolute definate penalty waved away for celtic at 1-0, celtic did little else than hold arsenal for the majority of the game but they did that and had more of the ball in the second half. Well done arsenal though I would still be wary of the second leg, and think celtic could get a draw out of it.

Europa cup football isnt the end of the world, just disappointing when celtic shouldn't have been in the position needing to qualify!
It has become cool to hate Celtic in recent times, I know of people who take delight at Rangers winning the league ahead of Celtic which is sad.  I have great affinity for Celtic, they are a well run club with an enviable fan base.
Good luck to Arsenal but it is still plain to see that when a game gets physical they have no match in the middle of the park, until that is addressed their trophy free run will continue.

Far from it been that people hate celtic, its probably the case that when Celtic get a result in Europe, generally at home, we are told about how they would win the EPL in a few years if they got the chance. This is far from the truth and Celtic fans have problems facing up to that.
pray tell how and why ?

(not that I  think they would  - but wonder how you quantify that)

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 19, 2009, 03:41:46 PM

certainly the resurgence of chelsea from the div 2 oblivion was kickstarted by massive financial investment.

Celtic would do likewise if they had the funds. All clubs do - so dont go fooling yoursleves lads !
Is that not what I've been saying if you read my original quote?
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

spiritof91and94

Quote from: T Fearon on August 19, 2009, 02:02:53 PM
Its all relative.

By and large Celtic did as well as the vast majority of EPL teams last night, but sure at the other end of the scale, the Italian clubs and particularly the Spanish clubs (if they're not fueding amongst each other) regularly piss over the EPL clubs (discount Liverpool's steal in 2005) in the latter stages

Arsenal will not be involved when it matters in this tournament as they will be pissed on with a club that has more money then them

Have a day off tony ffs

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 19, 2009, 03:45:06 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 19, 2009, 03:41:46 PM

Is that not what I've been saying if you read my original quote?
so you are in agreement that chelsea didnt buy their success?
my original point wasnt actually in reply to you !
Just picked your quote at random more or less as it seemed to indicate that chelsea didnt buy success - from either roman a, or any other wealthy benefactor.

bingobus

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 19, 2009, 03:43:04 PM

pray tell how and why ?

Well for a start look at the squads and the players Celtic are buying, and Rangers for that matter. They normall poach from other SPL teams or pick up Championship players from midlevel teams. Other players bought are from French and dutch league teams. These are the type of player that even promoted EPL players don't go after - Loovens, Naylor, Donati, Fortune, Fox, etc etc. These guys are solid footballers but not even on the radar of the EPL clubs.

The transfer of players from the EPL to the SPL and vice versa had dried up in recent years. From the days of Butcher, Woods, Bellamy, Lennon, Stuart Slater even to Viduka, Di Canio, Petrov, Van Hoojdunk, Amoruso, Tugay, transferring between the two leagues we rarely see anyone moving now. Mendes in the past year to Rangers is all I can think off and he was unwanted at Portsmouth. Maloney couldn't cut it, Ferguson couldn't cut it, even Petrov took a while to settle from the kick and chase that he faced in the SPL.

The gap in quality is widening.

The form of Celtic in the CL away from home, would also be an indication. They struggle against teams that keep the ball and don't just hoof it up at them like they face in away SPL matches where they will continue to dominate possession. When they have to win the ball and keep it in the CL away matches they can be exposed.

I don't think Celtic are a bad side but they are losing pace with the EPL teams, as it is becoming less attractive to play up north.

As for Celtic fans not facing up to the truth - look at Fearons post about the performance of the EPL teams in the CL.  ;D

clarshack

Quote from: T Fearon on August 19, 2009, 03:04:41 PM
Arsenal hadn't one englishman last night whereas Celtic had four scots (including Mc Geady who was born there) Says it all.

The irony is that when the financial playing fields were level Celtic and Rangers regularly pissed on English teams (and they were Champions of England) in the European Cup. Both of them knocked Leeds out. In 1967 Scottish Football was arguably the strongest in Europe with Celtic winning the European Cup and Rangers only losing 1-0 to Bayern Munich in that years ECWC Final after extra time.

The money bubble will burst soon enough in England and a lot of so called big clubs will go the way of Leeds.

Celtic and Rangers will always be strong and relatively stable

would love to see that. :) it seems boom is always followed by bust (just look at the housing market), therefore it could well happen .
read recently that 92% of chelsea's current fanbase didnt support them 8 years ago -  if chelsea went the way of Leeds who's bandwagon would they jump onto next?

Dinny Breen

Arsenal played well within themselves and there normal fluidity was misisng, credit to Celtic there as they did work their asses of but they were all huff and puff and were missing subtlety and guile up front. The scoreline flattered Arsenal but there felt an inevitability about the result almost as if the Celtic didn't believe they could win. Arsenal are close to being the finished article and will go well in the EPL and CL, Celtic are in a rebuilding process with a new manager only learning about his players.

As a gooner and defender last season of Song delighted to see him maintain his progress.

#newbridgeornowhere

T Fearon

Its a joke.

As one that goes regularly to both Celtic Park and White Hart Lane I enjoy the Celtic Park experience much more. There is an aura and history about the place which sadly the Lane just doesn't quite match. Also love the wit and humour at Celtic Park, you start off sitting beside a total stranger then at the end of the game its like you've known each other all your life.

All these things come from history. Celtic and indeed Rangers will never lose their identity unlike the likes of Man Ure and Liverpool and their foreign owners with  nomadic fanbases.

As for English clubs records in the Champions League considering it has the most resources in terms of cash, two wins in ten years is paltry and even one of them was lucky in the extreme and the gap between Europe's top club and Man Ure was glaring in last year's Final.

Had Barca been focussed and together the year before it would have been them and not Man Ure in the final against Chelsea

lynchbhoy

Quote from: bingobus on August 19, 2009, 04:13:43 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 19, 2009, 03:43:04 PM

pray tell how and why ?

Well for a start look at the squads and the players Celtic are buying, and Rangers for that matter. They normall poach from other SPL teams or pick up Championship players from midlevel teams. Other players bought are from French and dutch league teams. These are the type of player that even promoted EPL players don't go after - Loovens, Naylor, Donati, Fortune, Fox, etc etc. These guys are solid footballers but not even on the radar of the EPL clubs.

The transfer of players from the EPL to the SPL and vice versa had dried up in recent years. From the days of Butcher, Woods, Bellamy, Lennon, Stuart Slater even to Viduka, Di Canio, Petrov, Van Hoojdunk, Amoruso, Tugay, transferring between the two leagues we rarely see anyone moving now. Mendes in the past year to Rangers is all I can think off and he was unwanted at Portsmouth. Maloney couldn't cut it, Ferguson couldn't cut it, even Petrov took a while to settle from the kick and chase that he faced in the SPL.

The gap in quality is widening.

The form of Celtic in the CL away from home, would also be an indication. They struggle against teams that keep the ball and don't just hoof it up at them like they face in away SPL matches where they will continue to dominate possession. When they have to win the ball and keep it in the CL away matches they can be exposed.

I don't think Celtic are a bad side but they are losing pace with the EPL teams, as it is becoming less attractive to play up north.

As for Celtic fans not facing up to the truth - look at Fearons post about the performance of the EPL teams in the CL.  ;D
dont disagree
but thats all down to money and the availability of it in the epl.
Still a good few players coveted by epl clubs and sought after - brown,mcgeady and that young Irish lad mccarthy that went from hamilton to burnley.

rangers have a couple of players that some epl sides would want. Am sure there are a few more.

I dont see an argument.
If the money available was the same then the standards woul be the same.
Only diff would be in trying to convince someone to go to live in glasgow/edinburgh (or newcastle/middlesboro etc for that mater !)

bingobus

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 19, 2009, 04:32:22 PM
dont disagree
but thats all down to money and the availability of it in the epl.
Still a good few players coveted by epl clubs and sought after - brown,mcgeady and that young Irish lad mccarthy that went from hamilton to burnley.

rangers have a couple of players that some epl sides would want. Am sure there are a few more.

I dont see an argument.
If the money available was the same then the standards woul be the same.
Only diff would be in trying to convince someone to go to live in glasgow/edinburgh (or newcastle/middlesboro etc for that mater !)

Of course the money would help but my original point way back was that if it doesn't happen soon, then it will be pointless, as in the first few years when Celtic and Hibs  ;) try and get a foothold in the EPL they'd be at the same level of say Burnley coming up and the gulf will be too much to catch up.

Even Peter Crouch didn't want to move to Sunderland so its going to hard for players to move further north  ;D

It'd be great to see Celtic in EPL but it has to happen soon or its never going to work. An Agathe or Reggie Blinker will always look good in Glasgow but the EPL?

Clown

As someone said last night on the radio - celtic and rangers in the premiership is NEVER going to happen so its pointless talking about how they would do/how much more money they would hav etc

Celtic were no more outclassed last night than Man U were a few months ago by Barcelona
Maybe united should look into joining La Liga

:P

Clown

QuoteAn Agathe or Reggie Blinker will always look good in Glasgow but the EPL?

I actually thought Blinker was shite in Scotland, he did better in the EPL, scoring two crackers in his early days at Sheff Wed and everyone predicting he was a great signing