?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

DennistheMenace

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 19, 2009, 12:23:56 PM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on August 19, 2009, 12:21:25 PM
Arsenal dominated the game and were a class apart from Celtic whose tactics amounted to being physical and closing down the space but Arsenal have played and dealt with that type of game plan many times before. Worthy winners in the end.
Arsenal won because Celtic were shite. Full stop.

You won't see me disagree with that.

Clown

why do celtic get more criticism from pundits and journalists for losing 2-0 at home to Arsenal after 2 very fortunate goals, than a team who hav ten or twenty times the revenue that celtic hav, and where englands 5th best club last year, and still get beaten 6-1 by Arsenal??

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/mirror-football-blog/Celtic-and-Rangers-in-the-Premier-League-Don-t-make-me-laugh-says-Martin-Lipton-article122521.html

Clown

terms like 'a class apart' are over-exaggerating

you have to remember Boruc had nothing to do apart from pick the ball out of the net twice

118cmal

The Champion's League is not Celtic's level.  They have overachieved in getting there the last few years.  They may have had some good results and nights over recent years but the current team just isn't good enough.  If the players were good they'd be playing in the premiership.

bingobus

Quote from: Clown on August 19, 2009, 12:29:31 PM
terms like 'a class apart' are over-exaggerating

you have to remember Boruc had nothing to do apart from pick the ball out of the net twice

Thats a hell of a lot more than the arsenal keeper had to do.  ;)

The reality is that Celtic/Rangers are never going to progress in the CL when they play in the SPL week in/week out. A few years ago they would have been competitive in the EPL but now they are sliding very quickly and it will soon be the reality that if they did play in it, they'd struggle badly such is the widening of the gap.

clarshack

if celtic were in the premier league they would be able to attract a far higher quality of player than they currently have (due to to having more money) and as result would do well. why cant people grasp this?

DennistheMenace

If we're being honest, Arsenal pissed all over Celtic last night, yes they got some luck but they were also well deserved winners. No disgrace in being well outplayed by Arsenal though.

ONeill

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 19, 2009, 10:46:08 AM
apart from th result it was a good game to watch - well in the first half anyhow, both teams were on an all out attack drive. Both teams had nothing in the final third of the field and I'd include the second half in that also, as for me Arsenal created nothing and Boruc didnt have to make any kind of save - neither did almunia.

Negatives - caldwell still annoys me as he cant tackle, has brutal positioning sense - the two things you need as a centre half. I'd love if someone bought him.
fox's first couple of crosses were ok but needs to improve. There seems to be a malaise in crossing the ball in top flight soccer as Celtic have been crap at it for years, and most epl sides I see are the same (dont even mention Ireland and woeful crossing).
Thought the ref was v poor and some of the free kicks he gave inc the one that lead to the deflected goal were questionable at least. Too much diving from some of the arsenal players.
Woeful givin the ball away by some Celtic players - the commentators picked on Donati, but whle he gave a good bit away, he defended well and they didnt seem to pick on others giving the ball away more like maloney or nguemo who had a good first half but was poor in the second.McGeady reverting to type and going it on his own too much played into Arsenals hands in the second half.

Positives
Loovens proved himself THE centre half at the club.Fox and hinkel good at defending and while caldwell is a bombscare, the defence kept out the highly vaunted Arsenal attack who are bang in form right now apart from the two 'lucky' goals. Boruc not being tested apart from those two would back this up I'd say. Some great passing in the first half and playing so quickly you will give the ball away more - so either side not to be dishearted , some great passing. Arsenal for longer periods were a joy to watch. Great work ethic as well as their accurate and fast passing.
Mowbray only at Celtic a few weeks and trying to create a winning side up against the continuity of a gunners team that has the continuity of last season playing together and under the guidance of the master Wenger - well its not an easy thing to do in beating them.
Mowbrays tactics were working in the first half. I'd hate to think what a strachan team going out last night would have conceded with his lack of tactical awareness !
Last nights game reminded me of the Celtic v blackburn match a few years ago. they passed th ball to death and were equally as toothless in the final third. Difference here is that Arsenal have two goals and its virtually impossible for Celtic to claw that back. Not impossible but very near it.
Shows how seriously bad strachans failure last season has cost Celtic ! Both these teams would do well in the CL group stages!

Some quare bollox written there, the highlights being,

both teams were on an all out attack drive.

Jaysus I wouldn't like to see Celtic on an all-out defending strategy. 11 in goals?

and

the highly vaunted Arsenal attack who are bang in form right now

Van Persie, Arshavin and Bendtner have yet to score this year. Their attack right now is the one area that concerns Arsene; they haven't clicked. So far it has been the centre backs and centre midfield coming up with the goals.

But good to see a bit of humour - Both these teams would do well in the CL group stages!

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Eastern_Pride

That Daniel Fox is one of the worst players I have ever seen in the Champions League. I was watching the Moldovan Champions play and he wouldn't make it on there.
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

clarshack

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 19, 2009, 12:56:05 PM
That Daniel Fox is one of the worst players I have ever seen in the Champions League. I was watching the Moldovan Champions play and he wouldn't make it on there.

f**k OFF!!!

Main Street

The EPl barstool supporters brigade certainly are a fountain of football wisdom.

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: clarshack on August 19, 2009, 01:26:05 PM
Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 19, 2009, 12:56:05 PM

f**k OFF!!!
No. No I Won't. He didn't put a foot right.
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

nifan

I thought fox was poor also, but he is better than Naylor.

bingobus

Quote from: clarshack on August 19, 2009, 12:37:18 PM
if celtic were in the premier league they would be able to attract a far higher quality of player than they currently have (due to to having more money) and as result would do well. why cant people grasp this?

The point I was making is that the gap would be too wide to make up if it ever happens. They'd need at least half a dozen top drawer players to make themselves even competitive. Sure they'll have more money but one or two big transfers in and the wages to boot would see that money go very quickly.

By your reasoning all clubs in the EPL would be able to attract higher quality players and do well. But do they?

T Fearon

Its all relative.

By and large Celtic did as well as the vast majority of EPL teams last night, but sure at the other end of the scale, the Italian clubs and particularly the Spanish clubs (if they're not fueding amongst each other) regularly piss over the EPL clubs (discount Liverpool's steal in 2005) in the latter stages

Arsenal will not be involved when it matters in this tournament as they will be pissed on with a club that has more money then them