?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: illdecide on July 16, 2009, 05:02:39 PM
I was looking thru the teams involved in the champions league qualifying round 2 and judging by the names i don't care who Celtic get, I'm hoping someone can clarify what way the draw works. I'm assuming all the teams in round 3 will be drawn again the round 2 winners and the winners of them ties will go into the group stages proper???

Whens the draw again, too lazy to look.
Tbc....

Hound

Illdecide, I think that's the qualifying procedure from 6 or 7 years ago, or whenever the last time Newcastle were involved!!

This has more up to date info

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/format/index.html

illdecide

Quote from: Hound on July 16, 2009, 05:32:13 PM
Illdecide, I think that's the qualifying procedure from 6 or 7 years ago, or whenever the last time Newcastle were involved!!

This has more up to date info

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/format/index.html

aye i know thats why i quickly deleted it...Sorry lads

Winners of the final edition of the UEFA Cup in May, FC Shakhtar Donetsk will be one of several leading clubs keen to learn their fate when the draw for the UEFA Champions League third qualifying round is made in Nyon on Friday.

Trophy haul
All eyes will be on UEFA headquarters from 12.00CET as the new split format for the qualifying competition comes into effect – affecting both the third qualifying round and the new final hurdle before the group stage: namely, the play-off. All teams in the hat are being allocated to either the Champions Path or the Best-placed Path, with the two sets of clubs being kept apart until their potential arrival in the group stage.

Best-placed Path
Ukrainian giants Shakhtar enter the Best-placed Path for the third qualifying round draw, having finished runners-up behind FC Dynamo Kyiv in their domestic league. They will be joined by nine other sides in their stream, with the five boasting the highest UEFA coefficient being seeded against the rest. That should suit Shakhtar and 1966/67 European Champion Clubs' Cup winners Celtic FC, as well as two-time UEFA Cup Winners' Cup and 1982/83 UEFA Cup winners RSC Anderlecht, 1963/64 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup winners Sporting Clube de Portugal and Panathinaikos FC.

Play-off prize
Hoping to bar their route to the play-off round will be five teams entirely capable of springing an upset, in the form of AC Sparta Praha, FC Dinamo Moskva, FC Twente, Sivasspor and FC Timişoara. The reward for the victors in those ties will be a two-legged meeting with one from Arsenal FC, Olympique Lyonnais, VfB Stuttgart, ACF Fiorentina and Club Atlético de Madrid – the top five seeds in the Best-placed Path – with a ticket for the UEFA Champions League group stage up for grabs.

Champions Path
The Champions Path will involve the 17 clubs to have emerged safely from the second qualifying round, with FC BATE Borisov, Wisla Kraków and PFC Levski Sofia among the contenders, plus three new additions to the field. Greek champions Olympiacos CFP head that list and are anything but newcomers to the competition proper, having got as far as the first knockout round in 2007/08, when they fell to eventual runners-up Chelsea FC. Accompanying Temuri Ketsbaia's men will be Czech titleholders SK Slavia Praha and their Swiss counterparts FC Zürich.

Click here to see which sides are competing in the UEFA Champions League this season, and at which stage they enter the competition.

UEFA Champions league third qualifying round
Best-placed Path
Seeded Unseeded
FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) AC Sparta Praha (CZE)
Sporting Clube de Portugal (POR) FC Twente (NED)
Panathinaikos FC (GRE) FC Dinamo Moskva (RUS)
Celtic FC (SCO) FC Timişoara (ROU)
RSC Anderlecht (BEL) Sivasspor (TUR)

UEFA Champions league third qualifying round
Champions Path
Seeded Unseeded
Olympiacos CFP (GRE) FC Salzburg (AUT) - Bohemian FC (IRL)
FC København (DEN) - FK Mogren (MNE) Debreceni VSC (HUN) - Kalmar FF (SWE)
SK Slavia Praha (CZE) EB/Streymur (FRO) - APOEL FC (CYP)
PFC Levski Sofia (BUL) - UE Sant Julià (AND) KF Tirana (ALB) - Stabæk IF (NOR)
Rhyl FC (WAL) - FK Partizan (SRB) NK Zrinjski (BIH) - ŠK Slovan Bratislava (SVK)
Maccabi Haifa FC (ISR) - Glentoran FC (NIR) FK Ventspils (LVA) - F91 Dudelange (LUX)
FC Pyunik (ARM) - NK Dinamo Zagreb (CRO) FC WIT Georgia (GEO) - NK Maribor (SVN)
FC Zürich (SUI) FH Hafnarfjördur (ISL) - FK Aktobe (KAZ)
Wisla Kraków (POL) - Levadia Tallinn (EST) FC International Turku (FIN) - FC Sheriff (MDA)
FK Makedonija Skopje (MKD) - FC BATE Borisov (BLR) FK Ekranas (LTU) - FK Bakı (AZE)

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

sam03/05

here is the draw 2morro made easy. we can only play one of five teams. The second round is more difficult to predict but we can worry about that if we get through this round.

With the draw for the 3rd qualifying round coming up this Friday at 11am here's a guide to the qualifiers and how the draw works.

We have to navigate through 2 qualifying rounds to progress into the group stages of the Champions League. These are the 3rd qualifying round and 4th qualifying round (also known as the playoff round). Due to changes in the Champions League qualifying structure this year we are in with the other non-champions in a section whilst the champions of smaller leagues like Denmark, Ireland etc are in another section which we don't need to worry about.

In the 3rd qualifying round we will get 1 of the teams from below.
Sparta Prague
Twente
Dynamo Moscow
FC Timisoara
Sivasspor

The first leg is on 28th/29th July and the second leg is on 4th/5th August. It is not yet determined which leg will be at home or away and will be decided as part of the random draw.

Sparta Prague finished 2nd in the Czech league. Notable players include Patrik Berger, Tomas Repka and Lubos Kalouda on loan from CSKA Moscow. Direct flights to Prague are available from various UK airports with easyJet, Wizzair, and Jet2 from Edinburgh. 

Twente are well known for their Dutch manager Schteve McLaren. Enschede is around two and a half hours train journey from Schipol airport. KLM fly from Glasgow direct, Easyjet, Flybe, KLM from Edinburgh. 

Dynamo Moscow have some fairly well known players. Aleksander Kerzakhov, previously of Zenit and Sevilla, plays here as does Luke Wilkshire of Australia. It'll have to be charter flights I'd imagine with other flights extortionate. 

FC Timisoara pipped Dinamo Bucharest to 2nd place after getting the 6 points back they were docked by the Romanian FA for assuming the name and colours of previous Timisoara team Politechnica Timisoara (who older tims may remember knocking Celtic out of Europe on away goals). Primarily made up of Romanians they have Costa Rican striker Winston Parks who some may remember from the World Cup. WizzAir fly from London Luton to Timisoara, if we draw them and you're quick then you may get a cheap flight. Otherwise it's charter by Harry Hynds or Tam Crook. 

Sivasspor are from Sivas in Turkey which doesn't seem to be near any of the major airports. Looks like a trains, planes and automobiles unless a charter gets to a smaller airport nearby. Hamed Namouchi is the only player I recognise from their squad. 

If we progress through to the 4th qualifying round then the draw is on Friday 7th August. The draw will be as follows with the teams with * potentially being put out in the 3rd round. If this is the case every team will move up 1 and the top unseeded team assumed the seed of the team to drop out. We will not be seeded in this round.
teams we could meet
Arsenal
Lyon
Shaktar Don
Panithonikos
Stuttgart
Athletico Madrid

The first leg will be on 18th/19th August and second leg on 25th/26th August.

For more information on seedings and how they work go to http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/

sam03/05

FC Twente gaffer Steve McClaren last night taunted Mowbray by revealing he wants Celtic in the Champions League qualifiers.

The ex-England boss believes his Dutch side would heap Euro heartache on the Hoops if they met in the third qualifying round.

Mogga's men could also land Sparta Prague, Dinamo Moscow, Timisoara from Romania or Turkey's Sivasspor in the draw on July 17.

McClaren said: "My preference would be getting Celtic. We have a good chance of winning against them."

Hope we get them. Can remember Souness saying something similar a few years ago.

Archie Mitchell

So, do Celtic have to go through 3 qualifying rounds to get to the group stages of the Champions League? I take it Rangers are automatically into the group stages?

Main Street

AFAIU  Celtic have to negotiate 2 rounds.
The 3rd round as seeds
and if they win they go through to a 4th round final qualifier

Winners of the 4th round go through to the CL proper.

illdecide

F**k this lads, it is much harder than i had thought to get into the group stages...There are some really good teams there and if your lucky to avoid one from the 3rd round then it's a certainty you'll get them in that 4th round...Pure manure

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Dinamo's form over last 9 seasons
Not great.

Just remembered that this side is the one that was beaten by the Huns in the CWC in 1971-72.

Season   Div.    Pos.   Pl.    W     D     L     GS     GA      P     Domestic Cup      Europe Notes   
2000       1st     5     30    14     8     8     45     35     50     Quarter-finals   
2001       1st     9     30    10     8   12     43     51     38     Round of 16        UC 1st round 
2002       1st     8     30    12     6   12     38     33     42     Quarter-finals       UC 2nd round 
2003       1st     6     30    12   10     8     42     29     46     Round of 32   
2004       1st   13     30      6   11   13     27     38     29     Round of 16   
2005       1st     8     30    12     2   16     36     46     38     Round of 16   
2006       1st   14     30      8   10   12     31     40     34     Quarter-finals   
2007       1st     6     30    11     8   11     37     35     41     Quarter-finals   
2008       1st     3     30    15     9     6     41     29     54     Round of 16 
Tbc....

illdecide

What do you reckon lads? R u happy with that draw?

Muzz

Just hope Mowbary doesnt have a baptism of fire like Strachan a la Armenia.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Think its very doable, we can definately beat them at home and would hope we would get at least a draw away (Moscow never easy to go to).
If we do go through, then next round will be an absolute nightmare!
Tbc....

Rav67

Quote from: illdecide on July 17, 2009, 09:33:25 AM
F**k this lads, it is much harder than i had thought to get into the group stages...There are some really good teams there and if your lucky to avoid one from the 3rd round then it's a certainty you'll get them in that 4th round...Pure manure

Its what Celtic deserve though, the easiest way to qualify would have been to finish ahead of a shite Rangers team but we couldn;t manage that!

This will be a tricky assignment but I would expect Celtic to get through.  I don;t think there's much chance of progressing past the next round.