Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

illdecide

I'm really looking forward to watching Celtic play a bit of entertaining football again, the last few years have been hard to watch and although we have been very successful we were hard to watch. If we can win the title back and play a bit of sxy football the fans will delighted.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Rav67

Its not an appointment to set the pulses racing but it was never going to be.  £2m is quite a lot of money considering that's going to come out of the transfer kitty which will already have been only £5-6m at most.  I do think he'll be good enough to wrestle the title back and obviously its very important to him to be seen as a manager who plays sexy football.  After the turgid football last year we need a bit of entertainment so I'm reasonably pleased to hear this deal's been done.

T Fearon

Its all right setting out to play entertaining football. Remember Liam Brady had this objective and succeeded in the most part but failed to deliver any trophies. Ditto Tommy Burns (except for one Scottish Cup).

At the end of the days winning trophies is all that really matters, and this is what Mowbray will ultimately be judged on

off the laces

Mark Mcghee to get a crack at Celtic first rattle...........
Keeps 'er' straight

the colonel

the difference between success and failure is energy

Main Street

I don't know much about Mobray, if I watched West Brom it would have been by accident.
Apart from wishing Celtic well , I'd be curious to see how Mobray applies himself to the task. See how his ability matches up to his ambitions. A manager usually makes a statement of intent with his first signings.
No use wondering would he have done better with Naka as japan seem to do.

If McGeady sticks around it could mark a serious development in his overall game.
It will be a big test to get some team ready for the CL qualifiers

Myles Na G.

12 month rolling contract? What's that about?

DennistheMenace

Quote from: Myles Na G. on June 17, 2009, 08:34:15 PM
12 month rolling contract? What's that about?

Hardly a vote of confidence is it ?

I like the man though and hope he does well, always tried to play the right way unlike Strachan who was never really idolised at Parkhead.

Minder

Im sure Mowbray has Duncan Fergusons best wishes too.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

the colonel

12 month rollin contract is what the last 2 managers where on. Not surprising really
the difference between success and failure is energy

fred the red

Quote from: the colonel on June 17, 2009, 10:52:52 PM
12 month rollin contract is what the last 2 managers where on. Not surprising really

Obviously all real fans would know this!!

Rav67

It is risky the 12 month contract - Celtic have just paid £2m to get their man, any club could get him for nothing at the end of next season or indeed the season after.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Rav67 on June 17, 2009, 11:38:35 PM
It is risky the 12 month contract - Celtic have just paid £2m to get their man, any club could get him for nothing at the end of next season or indeed the season after.
not really, I'm sure that whatever contract mowbray was on at west brom - 3 or 4 year fixed or rolling contract, his moving to Celtic shows that all contracts are easily broken.

a lot of clubs use the rolling contract, as Celtic have done. It works both ways. It is not a one year contract, it is long term contract that must get a years notice from either party as an indication that the contract is going to be ended in 12 months from there.

It safeguards the club from having to pay huge compensation in the event of a manager being rubbish.
Downside is that another club taking that manager wont have to pay big compensation to the club to swipe their manager.

I thought everyone knew and understood the standard 12 month rolling contract ever since the time it was announced Martin ONeill was on one. He stayed a further three years I think it was ...

DennistheMenace

The majority of big clubs however do not use a 12 month rolling contract concept.

Basically saves the club from paying compensation if they sack their manager.

Main Street

Looks like Mobray has made a statement of intent as regards McGeady,  to put a hold on any lingering momentum as regards his decision to leave if Strachan stayed on.

"he is essential to his Celtic blueprint, provided he sticks to the demands of the team"

The new Celtic boss spoke warmly of McGeady's ability yesterday in a manner that Gordon Strachan never delivered comfortably.

"He has the ability to beat men and create chances and opportunities for others. I want to try to get the best team on the pitch"

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/mcgeady-gets-mowbray-lift-1778179.html