?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Burnley are promoted.
It will be interesting to see if Coyle does what he said he would do "and walk to Glasgow, if the Celtic job was ever offered to him NO MATTER WHAT OTHER JOBS WHERE ON THE TABLE".
Tbc....

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 25, 2009, 05:07:05 PM
Burnley are promoted.
It will be interesting to see if Coyle does what he said he would do "and walk to Glasgow, if the Celtic job was ever offered to him NO MATTER WHAT OTHER JOBS WHERE ON THE TABLE".

Just caught the Coyle interview after the final whistle there. He didn't seem too happy for someone who just got Burnley promoted to the premier league. Almost as if he knows he's leaving. Maybe I'm reading too much into it though.

Certainly are shades of MON about him though.

aroundincircles

Will the new manager get any sort of money to spend

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: aroundincircles on May 25, 2009, 05:21:23 PM
Will the new manager get any sort of money to spend

Possibily if they off load Artur and Brown, Naka and Bobos gone so theres money there to pay wages.
Tbc....

aroundincircles

What players worth there salt could celtic get.

thechampishere

I'm of the belief that even if Celtic had won the Title yesterday, Strachan being Strachan would have walked away anyway. He knew maybe 2 years into the job that the bulk of Celtic fans couldn't stand him, maybe not so much his style of play but his whole attitude and apparent lack of respect for the fans with his wit and sarcasm, esp post match, almost trying to fob fans off by continually saying he couldn't ask any more of his team. I mean the whole leaving McGeady out of the game at Ibrox was bad enough but the post match interview after the hibs game was unreal. He actually stood there and said, he thought we played some fantastic stuff and all that was lacking was scoring a goal??? Hello is that not the name of the game, first and foremost, irrespective of the performance, cos I know I'd take goals over a shit performance all day long, esp if it was the difference between winning and losing the league, which in the end cost us this season. Strachan isn't totally to blame though, some of the players in that team really aint up to the task, ie, big mouth Samaras, JVOH, Crosas, just to name a few! Would Barca have sold Marc Crosas if he had anythin about him, NOT A CHANCE!!!

WGS may have led the side to 3 in a row, but when you look at it closely, it wasn't that tough a task! First title was won mainly due to the fact that Hearts fell apart having led the chase for nigh on half the season, Rangers were shite under Le Guen that season and didn't get close and were some 18 points behind Celtic and finished 3rd!!! Second of the three was won in early april with Naka's free kick against Kilmarnock. Once again, Rangers were pure shite that season too, Smith replaced Le Guen mid season and the title was pretty much in the bag by the time he'd taken over, and Rangers finished up 12 points behind us! Last season was a total fluke that Celtic won the title, had Rangers not been competing on four different fronts, the league would have been theirs after they won the 2nd old firm game in March. Celtic fell 10 points behind after losing to 1-0 at home to Motherwell in early April. Granted we did beat Rangers twice in 10 days but any club having the end of season schedule that Rangers had would have run out of gas, so yes we did win 7 straight games to win the title on the last game of the season but in all honestly, Rangers threw the title away due to their fatigue factor, which cannot be ignored, even if it was nice to see!!!

This season. we recovered from the 4-2 loss to Rangers in August and ended up 7 clear after skippy's wonder goal at Ibrox. YES 7 POINTS CLEAR GOING INTO THE NEW YEAR!!! It was strange that the only addition to the squad in January was Willo Flood, who then played f**k all in the final 4 months of the campaign. However, the word from down Govan way was that a certain Mr Boyd would need to be sold to balance their books, and me prob like alot of celtic fans thought it was only a matter of time before we won 4 in a row! The slide started up at Pittodrie back in mid January, and for me thats when the alarm bells started ringing. Losing 4-2 in the manner we did was a big cause for concern, yet Strachan seemed to thing that everything fell right for Aberdeen that day, WRONG - His constant use of the zonal marking system undid us that day, all well and good playing the zonal system if you have the defenders that can play it properly, BUT WE DON'T!!! Our home form this season was pretty sound after January, but our away form was our undoing time and time again! 0-0 away at Caley Thistle, 1-1 at Motherwell having been in front, 2-2 at Dundee Utd having been leading, and 1-1 at Hearts after going in front after 30 seconds. That was 8 points thrown away, and then the failure to score at Ibox, and more importantly Easter road after Rangers slipped up there 4 days before was the real killer, so in my honest opinion, Celtic had the league won in December after the win at Ibrox and had we signed a couple of players in January, esp Steven Fletcher then I do believe we would have won the league, prob even before the split. But our lack of transfer dealings coupled with our awful away form this year, gave Rangers the momentum they needed and fair play to them, they went to Tannadice yesterday and won easy against a Dundee Utd side who have been more than a match for the Old Firm this season. Samaras' comments about Rangers made him look pretty stupid when he was subbed at half time yesterday

In the final analysis, Celtic were guilty of alot of things this season, from the board not wanting to spend in January, to Strachan's sometimes confusing tactics and seeming lack of know how when it came to the crunch and more importantly our poor away form after that win at Ibrox. Winning 2 out of 8 away games after that was costly in the end. So Strachan has gone, can't say i'm disappointed cos I'm not, I just hope that the board do their best to get the right man in and make sure he is allowed to strengthen the squad to get the Title back next season, because right now the momentum is with Rangers and if Celtic don't want a period of Rangers domination to begin again, they had better get their act together. My choice for new manager would be David Moyes, but I reckon a more realistic target would be either Craig Levein or Mark McGhee

ROLL ON NEXT SEASON AND KEEP THE FAITH, C'MON THE BHOYS!!!

Minder

Trying to think of a manager that brought the success that Strachan did and being as villified by his own fans, cant think of another. . . . Would the fact that he is a prod have anything to do with it?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

the colonel

minder, being a prod has nothing to do with it for me, its the fact the football is minging. why should people who spend so much money to go to games, be happy to watch the absolutely minging football that celtic have played under strachan
the difference between success and failure is energy

Tony Baloney

Quote from: the colonel on May 25, 2009, 06:57:50 PM
minder, being a prod has nothing to do with it for me, its the fact the football is minging. why should people who spend so much money to go to games, be happy to watch the absolutely minging football that celtic have played under strachan
Maybe you'd be happy to have King Kev at the reins there. They'll play lovely stuff but they'll win nothing. Which would you prefer?

Minder

Thats why Abramovich got rid of Mourinho because he didnt like their style of play, they havent won anything of note since. Be careful what you wish for. . . . . .
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

naka

Quote from: Minder on May 25, 2009, 06:53:35 PM
Trying to think of a manager that brought the success that Strachan did and being as villified by his own fans, cant think of another. . . . Would the fact that he is a prod have anything to do with it?
thats balls from someone who knows nothing about celtic,
fact is his  style of football is dire and he had twice as much monry as rangers to buy players, we have about 15 midfielders who all came from the spl yet he is supposed to have a worldwide scouting network
his lack of respect for the fans who turn up week in week out also annoyed a fair few of us

jock stein to coin your phrase was " a prod" and he  was the best manager we had

Tony Baloney

Quote from: naka on May 25, 2009, 07:12:37 PM
Quote from: Minder on May 25, 2009, 06:53:35 PM
thats balls from someone who knows nothing about celtic,
fact is his  style of football is dire and he had twice as much monry as rangers to buy players, we have about 15 midfielders who all came from the spl yet he is supposed to have a worldwide scouting network
his lack of respect for the fans who turn up week in week out also annoyed a fair few of us

jock stein to coin your phrase was " a prod" and he  was the best manager we had
How does he show a lack of respect for the fans? Also, is your full stop key broken?

Myles Na G.

I feel Celtic have let slip a great chance to bury Rangers for a good few seasons. The financial problems down Govan way are well documented. If they'd missed out on the league this season, they'd have had to do some serious squad pruning, with one or two of their best players moving on to pastures new. They'd have gone into the CL qualifiers with a crap squad and would, in all likelihood, have made an early exit. No European football next season, more financial headaches, more squad pruning required. They could've been a mediocre side for quite some time to come, with the Celts coining it in the CL at the same time. As it stands now, we're going to be the ones struggling to qualify, with all the financial penalties that entails.

the colonel

minder, football is different from GAA, those players are getting paid up to 30K a week and cant pass a ball, professional players should be able to play and entertain. if fans are paying big money to go to games, they have a right to comment on it. The fans pay the wages of those they go watch. To have half decent football shouldnt be a big problem. There was no success this year because they played crap football, cant score and cant defend.

There has to be a balance. There isn't even a Plan A, never mind a Plan B
the difference between success and failure is energy

thechampishere

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 25, 2009, 07:30:32 PM
I feel Celtic have let slip a great chance to bury Rangers for a good few seasons. The financial problems down Govan way are well documented. If they'd missed out on the league this season, they'd have had to do some serious squad pruning, with one or two of their best players moving on to pastures new. They'd have gone into the CL qualifiers with a crap squad and would, in all likelihood, have made an early exit. No European football next season, more financial headaches, more squad pruning required. They could've been a mediocre side for quite some time to come, with the Celts coining it in the CL at the same time. As it stands now, we're going to be the ones struggling to qualify, with all the financial penalties that entails.

I think that's the hardest part of having to deal with blowing the title this season, is that it could have MASSIVE implications if we don't get it right in appointing the right man for next season. No doubting it, the chance was there for us to dominate the spl for many years to come and really put Rangers in the shade. Certainly they wouldn't have been able to keep hold of Bougherra and Boyd to name just two had we won the Title, so yeah it does feel like a big chance gone to go and really dominate like Rangers did with 9 in a row in the 90's!