7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

T Fearon

DownFanatic

Quote from: T Fearon on April 28, 2009, 04:23:10 PM
http://www.celticfc.net/news/stories/news_280409155656.aspx

Championeez, Championneez!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Now for the big one! ;)

I see McGinn and McCourt both started the game. They'll definitely give Worthington options over the coming months  :)

nifan

Certainly DF - Gillespie is done, and Johnson hasn had a bad time with injury and getting game time at club level, so there is certainly room for one of these guys to push to make that position their own.

T Fearon

They both start (and normally finish) every reserve game.

Indeed it is a pity that they opted for a backwater "international" career

Evil Genius

Quote from: nifan on April 28, 2009, 04:40:05 PM
Certainly DF - Gillespie is done, and Johnson hasn had a bad time with injury and getting game time at club level, so there is certainly room for one of these guys to push to make that position their own.
Agree about Gillespie, but DJ is now back starting regularly (and Captaining) at St.Andrews. Therefore to create room on the wing for McCourt or McGinn, I suspect it would require DJ to be moved inside first, which NW will likely only do should our regular central midfielders (Davis, Clingan, McCann) get injured/suspended.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

fred the red

Quote from: Evil Genius on April 28, 2009, 06:25:00 PM
Quote from: nifan on April 28, 2009, 04:40:05 PM
Agree about Gillespie, but DJ is now back starting regularly (and Captaining) at St.Andrews. Therefore to create room on the wing for McCourt or McGinn, I suspect it would require DJ to be moved inside first, which NW will likely only do should our regular central midfielders (Davis, Clingan, McCann) get injured/suspended.

there is an IFA thread for this chat

Evil Genius

Quote from: T Fearon on April 28, 2009, 04:40:18 PM
They  both start (and normally finish) every reserve game.

Indeed it is a pity that they [McCourt, McGinn] opted for a backwater "international" career
Dunno about McCourt, but McGinn was certainly happy enough when first called into the NI senior squad for the friendly against Hungary:
"To get to train with the lads will be a great experience and if I could get on the pitch for 10 to 15 minutes it would be something to remember."
He got his wish and has since been a squad regular.

Anyhow, you also forgot about full-back Danny Lafferty, who also played for Celtic in this afternoon's game. He looked pretty tidy playing for the NI U-21's against Ukraine U-21s at Shamrock Park four weeks ago. Having turned 20, unless he changes his mind, he'll be tied to us forever in the next 12 months.

So that's three NI players in Celtic Reserves, and only one playing for Rangers (Andy Little). It must be the green and white which attracts them!  ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

T Fearon

Sadly at the moment I do not think either of the three would get near the real Ireland team

However it also shows how tolerant Celtic fans are. I doubt if an FAI international playing for Rangers would enjoy the same respect from his club fans.

PS Hearts match now sold out, my ticket safely locked in vault at home ;D

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

How many would we need to vote yes for this to take shape?

O'Neill talks up Old Firm switch   
O'Neill says Celtic and Rangers would be a hit in the Premier League
Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill says the English Premier League would benefit from the inclusion of former club Celtic and rivals Rangers.

The proposal to create a two-tier Premier League could be discussed at the league's AGM in June.

And O'Neill, who left Celtic in 2005 after five years in charge, said the Old Firm would be a hit in England.

"My personal thought is that Celtic and Rangers would enhance the Premier League," he told Villa's website.

Last week BBC Scotland learned Bolton chairman Phil Gartside has proposed allowing the Old Firm clubs to move to England as part of a two-tier Premier League of 18 teams each.

The idea would have to overcome a number of obstacles if it was to come to fruition, and Uefa has consistently said that teams will not be allowed to play in leagues outside their own country.

O'Neill believes the Glasgow clubs would grow if they were given the green light to play in England.

I'm not sure about Rangers but I know Celtic's capacity could go from 60,000 to 80,000 overnight - without a doubt

"Glasgow is a phenomenal football city - Celtic house 60,000 and Rangers house 50,000," he told Villa's website.

"I'm not sure about Rangers but I know Celtic's capacity could go from 60,000 to 80,000 overnight - without a doubt.

"When I was manager of Celtic a number of years ago, there was some talk of both teams joining the Premier League in some capacity.

"There was mention of them being put in the Championship too, or maybe even lower down than that, and then making them work their way up through promotion."

He added: "If forced to do that, they would eventually get to the top and end up as monumental players in the Premier League."

O'Neill said he was aware sceptics would be against the move, but he believed the clubs would enhance the competition in England.

"I suppose Belgian teams could then ask to join the Dutch league and Dutch teams could then request to join the Bundesliga," he went on.

"All of those points would have to be considered. But if you're asking for a personal opinion, I think Celtic and Rangers joining would enhance the Barclays Premier League and make us all strive to get better.

"I certainly support the idea. But, then again, I could be a voice in the wilderness."

Tbc....

lynchbhoy

am pretty sure that swansea and wrexham have played in the top tier in england at some stage, cardiff are trying to get into it right now....

T Fearon

Swansea were definitely in the old First Division (Premiership equivalent) in the early 1980s and did very well under John Toshack's management (top 6 finish I believe on one occasion). Cardiff played Arsenal in the 1927 FA Cup Final so I assume they have been in the First Division. Not sure about Wrexham though.

Don't see what the fuss is about Allowing the Old Firm into the English Premiership. After all American franchises like Liverpool and Man Utd already play there as does Chelsea, a Russian franchise

Minder

Quote from: T Fearon on April 30, 2009, 10:25:08 AM
Swansea were definitely in the old First Division (Premiership equivalent) in the early 1980s and did very well under John Toshack's management (top 6 finish I believe on one occasion). Cardiff played Arsenal in the 1927 FA Cup Final so I assume they have been in the First Division. Not sure about Wrexham though.

Don't see what the fuss is about Allowing the Old Firm into the English Premiership. After all American franchises like Liverpool and Man Utd already play there as does Chelsea, a Russian franchise

And an Israeli one.........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Good win on Saturday (even though we played terrible), Huns winning on Sunday puts things back to one point, derby on Saturday morning in Mordor will be tight, not really looking forward to it atm, maybe will get better vibes later on.

Hail Hail
Tbc....

T Fearon

Would look forward to it a lot more if Broonie wasn't suspended. Its going to be a helluva battle, lumps kicked out of the likes of Naka, Mc Geady etc, balls lumped into the box from everywhere (which we are not good at dealing with). Hartley the only midfielder we have capable of standing up to this type of game. A lot depends on Boruc's form.

Would gladly settle for a point on Saturday. If the huns were to win, the momentum would be with them big time I can't see them losing any points elsewhere in the final three games, and we have a difficult home game against the Arabs next Tuesday as well.

off the laces

in today's scottish sun they have boruc on front page then on pages 4-5 straigthening a girls hair he says its his sister, some wee tr**p saying it was her best pal after a night together.......will do wonders for the huns on sat that will
Keeps 'er' straight