62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

lynchbhoy

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on March 07, 2009, 04:48:55 PM
Quote from: carribbear on March 07, 2009, 04:29:53 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on March 07, 2009, 02:13:06 PM
Only 7 voters were right in that poll  :)
??
Today was a cup game

I see....

I thought the question was can they win 4 trophies.....my bad  :-[

Anyway still a good result today  ;)
could be worse, Celtic could be as brutal as laois !
just watched the second half of Meath stuffing Laois in the NFL div 2 , I dont rate meath, so where does that leave the buffalos !

yer right though , good result today (in pairc tailteann !) ;)

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

You'd never know that there was a Cup final on Sunday against the auld enemy!
Have things gotten that bad, is the apathy so strong now that we don't care?
Well here's what wee Joe Miller has to say:

Miller forecasts tight cup final 

By Liam McLeod 

Former Parkhead winger Joe Miller reckons preventing a Rangers treble should be incentive enough for Celtic to win the Co-operative Insurance Cup.

The Old Firm clash in Sunday's showpiece at Hampden and Miller is expecting a tight affair.

"Stopping a treble should give them extra incentive, but they should be looking to win every cup final," he told BBC Scotland.

"It could be a close game as they're both not in the best of form."

Miller scored the only goal in the 1989 Scottish Cup final - the last time Celtic prevailed in a cup final over their Old Firm rivals.

It was a result that denied Graeme Souness's side the treble with the Ibrox club having already bagged the league title and League Cup.

And Miller - who picked up three Scottish Cup winner's medals and one in the League Cup during spells with Celtic and Aberdeen - says this season's League Cup final will be just as close as that one.

"I think it'll be a single goal that will separate the teams," he said.  There's been a lot of criticism rather than support for the way Celtic and Rangers have played this season,

"It's a really close one to call, but these ones always provide extra incentive because you've got players who are dying to play in the cup finals.

"It's every boy's dream - particularly if you're a Celtic or Rangers supporter - to play in a cup final and maybe score the winning goal.

"I was fortunate enough to do just that almost 20 years ago."

Celtic were eliminated from the Scottish Cup by St Mirren last weekend, thus ending their own treble hopes.

Both sides have struggled with consistency since the turn of the year, with the Scottish Premier League champions on a run of just six wins from 12 and Rangers winning just three of their last six league games.
And Miller thinks that is because of a change in approach from the players in both teams.

"There's been a lot of criticism rather than support for the way Celtic and Rangers have played this season," he said. 

"Both sides haven't been the most flattering to the eye. The cavalier approach and the 'never-say-die' attitude has gone and the expectations levels don't seem to be so high.

"I think both managers have got to get that back and get it installed into both sets of players because the supporters just seem to be bored with what they've been seeing."

Miller is currently assistant manager with League of Ireland side Dundalk after a spell as Clyde boss and, despite predicting a similar result, he says that is where comparisons with this weekend's final and 1989 end.

"I don't see any similarities between then and now. It's a different time and different era," he said.

"Twenty years ago, we'd previously won the double in our centenary year and our incentive was to win the last trophy of the season - this is the first one of this season for both clubs.

"Because it was right at the end of the season, there was a bit more spice added to it then.

"It was the only trophy we had left to bag, so it was one we had to win."

Tbc....

Doogie Browser

20 years since he scored that winner, holy f**k!
Who will start up front with McDonald on Sunday then GDA?  JVOH or Samaras?  I would be tempted to play him alone up front, what you think?

T Fearon

I was at that match in 1989 when wee Joe got the winner. Biggest laugh was sitting in a Celtic supporters bus outside Hampden after the game singing "There'll be no mc ewans lager in the cup" then a bus load of huns passed us and a big guy about 20 stone "moonied" out the back window :D

Clown

i wud play mcdonald on his own up front simply because the other 2 dont deserve to wear a celtic jersey and are a disgrace

scott brown slightly more forward to support mcdonald and bring hartley or robson if fit into the middle.

wot did mizuno do wrong to not get another look in by the way??

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Clown on March 11, 2009, 12:59:12 PM
i wud play mcdonald on his own up front simply because the other 2 dont deserve to wear a celtic jersey and are a disgrace

scott brown slightly more forward to support mcdonald and bring hartley or robson if fit into the middle.

wot did mizuno do wrong to not get another look in by the way??
think he's inj

playing a negative 451 or 4411 isnt the way to go. the huns are rubbish and will obv be trying to manhandle and kick their way to a win, so its tough but fast players Celtic want and need.
I'd still go with samaras and skippy up front as their pace usually unsettles the orc defence.
Midfield needs to win the battle. Wingers must ensure they dont hide after getting clogged repeatedly or even retaliate (naka and Aidan obv) so the ref has to play his impartial part.
Would always have to give rangers a chance at the moment with that shaky Celtic defence.
Celts are by far the better side, but you never know what way they are going to play and what team selection wee mad ginger is going to put out.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Doogie Browser on March 11, 2009, 12:50:09 PM
20 years since he scored that winner, holy f**k!
Who will start up front with McDonald on Sunday then GDA?  JVOH or Samaras?  I would be tempted to play him alone up front, what you think?

As lynchbhoy says one up front is too negative, lets let uncle watty play that game with Kyle Lafferty up on his own with a five man midfield containing two holding players!
WGS will start with Skippy and Samaras up front, which is ok as long as he changes things if Georgio is looking sterile, bring on Ben Hutchinson.
In midfield we need Aidan, Brown, Robson (is he back yet?) and Flood/Crosas. As for the back line well we're fcuked bring back Bobo!
Tbc....

Main Street

Rony Harry's watching you !

That apostrophe is beginning to bug me, it has grown in size as time marches on.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

I see that Walter kicked Kris Boyd out of training last night after the two of them disagreed about selections.
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Good news.

Celtic extend agreement with Nike     

Celtic have extended their current five-year deal with kit manufacturers Nike for a further five years.

The new contract will come into effect in the summer of 2010 and, according to a club spokesman, will be in excess of the existing £25m agreement.

"We are absolutely delighted to announce this new deal with Nike," said chief executive Peter Lawwell.

"To once again secure a partnership of this kind with the world's leading sports brand is tremendous news."

Lawwell says the continuing relationship with the American-based sports firm bolsters Celtic's overall brand.

"It is a deal which extends our global profile and reach and one which will bring great benefit to the club," he added.

"Clearly, it is most satisfying that the club is making such progress and striving forward in this manner.

"At all times, Celtic strives for excellence on and off the field. It is fitting that as champions of Scotland and a regular Uefa Champions League participant we are to continue our partnership with Nike, one of the most prestigious brands in sport.

"Clearly, it is also pleasing that Nike once again sees Celtic as one of the leading names in world football and is happy to continue our association.

"This extended relationship will allow us to further achieve our aspirations both at home and abroad."

Tbc....

T Fearon

No matter about the merits or otherwise of the management or players, I think we can all agree that we have an excellent Chief Executive in Peter Lawwell. No wonder the Goons tried to poach hime a while back.

PS Heading over to the special lunch for Billy Mc Neill and John Clarke in Friday fortnight. Should be a great afternoon.

illdecide

Lads are you confident for sundays game against the Huns???

I suppose the league form goes out the window with it being a cup final. All i hope is we win and put a decent display on not like that shite both teams served up the last time they played.

What team will you be hoping he lines out with providing everyone is fit and available?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

T Fearon

Boruc

Hinkel
Caldwell
Mc Manus
O'Dea

Mc Geady
Hartley
Brown
Crosas

Mc Donald
Samaras/VOH (Hoping whichever one is picked will find his long lost goalscoring touch)

Pity Flood isn't available as he showed in the last game against the Huns that he is ideal for this occasion

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 11, 2009, 02:52:04 PM
I see that Walter kicked Kris Boyd out of training last night after the two of them disagreed about selections.

Yes obviously something has gone wrong at the Record/Sun where they are reporting this story (and Rangers having to lay off a load of staff due to financial difficulties) in the build up to an Old Firm Cup Final ;D. Or maybe the paranoid and ill informed rantings about the Scottish media earlier in this thread were exactly that.

Doubt it makes much difference to Celtic if Boyd misses out on Sunday given his poor track record against them. Indeed maybe its Celtic's loss ;D   

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on March 12, 2009, 12:47:36 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 11, 2009, 02:52:04 PM

Yes obviously something has gone wrong at the Record/Sun where they are reporting this story (and Rangers having to lay off a load of staff due to financial difficulties) in the build up to an Old Firm Cup Final ;D. Or maybe the paranoid and ill informed rantings about the Scottish media earlier in this thread were exactly that.

Doubt it makes much difference to Celtic if Boyd misses out on Sunday given his poor track record against them. Indeed maybe its Celtic's loss ;D   

Read it on Sky news LDA, sorry try to avoid reading the Daily Ranger as much as I can.  :)
Tbc....