Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 28, 2009, 10:38:24 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 28, 2009, 06:10:31 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 28, 2009, 11:33:32 AM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 27, 2009, 11:24:31 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 27, 2009, 10:10:57 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 27, 2009, 06:13:06 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 27, 2009, 04:20:31 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on January 27, 2009, 03:34:32 PM
Lynchboy, you would also agree that the team was in need of major overhaul when WGS tookover, as evidenced by the throwing away of the league title in the dying minutes of the final game of the previous season, and WGS didn't inherit any players of the calibre of Larsson, Moravcik etc.

The real criticism is why the team wasn't bolstered immediately after the 2003 UEFA Cup Final

My contention remains that both O'Neill and Strachan have done admirable jobs at Celtic Park. But even the current issue of NTV questions the style of football played by O'Neill post Henrik.
lost it in midfield mostly that year, and the successor was groomed and ready, but the little rat fecked off to man u
big problem was the amount of inj , and MON was guilty of being too loyal to the old guard and not giving some of the younger lads a run when needed. He made a mistake - but that didnt happen often !

buying quality players over a rake of mediocre players I think is the way to go, they all cost much the same
a couple of top notch players helping you progress inthe CL and their wages wouldnt cost that much more than a heap of shaun maloneys that will do fcuk all for the team (apart from the reserves)
He turned out to be a world beater, didn't he? A handful of promising appearances doesn't make for a great player. (remember Jamie Smith??) I'm a big fan of MON and what he achieved at CP, but Strach's record betters him. He took over an ageing squad and turned it into a championship winning side. He took the Hoops into the latter stages of European competition, where MON couldn't manage it, despite his big money signings. Give the wee man a break.
He was a world beater - how miller played on those few occasions was more than enough to prove to 50,000 season ticket holders and fans that he was the real deal.
he messed up himself by going to man u and not getting a game for two years - kind of fecks up any kind of continuity and momentum !

do you think that gs would have done what he has if he took the job BEFORE MON?
think the universal answer is a resounding NO.
Do you watch celtic at all ?

jamie smith was never a decent player under mon - hes a striker for starters and was only a winger/makeshift full back under mon. Aberdeen is his level. Nice lad though

been giving gs a break for a few years now. MON's wife made sure his focus wasnt on CP in his last season - maybe more.

gs or MON - no comparison
Yeah, Miller was genuine quality. Fergie was wrong. No judge of a player that man. He'll never make a decent manager.  ::)
?? ?
surely what you have just said backs up my point that miller was a potentially great player, good enough for man u to want,yet only for fergie to squander by not picking him
plenty of others have had similar experiences - that juan sebastian veron was a donkey wasnt he  ::)
With all young players, you're just buying potential. Fergie saw potential in Miller so he bought him. Miller didn't fulfill his early promise. Nothing to do with Fergie or Man Utd. It happens with loads of young lads and would probably have happened even if Miller had stayed at CP. He just didn't make the grade, end of story.
'myles' players with potential only dont play and star in 3 Champions league games
likewise in the spl games until the bombshel in jan scuppered it all

He figured in only 20 - 30 games for Celtic, including European matches, and many of those appearances were as a sub. He hadn't even established himself in the first team. He showed great potential, but that's all. No club in Europe has a better record than Man Utd for bringing on young talent. If they couldn't make a top grade player out of Miller, it's because he didn't have it in him. QPR? That's his level.
stick to linfield
you dont seem to know much about Celtic or miller then.
am starting to wonder if you ni fans even know much about soccer at all!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Hound on January 29, 2009, 07:55:49 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 28, 2009, 02:28:00 PM
Quote from: Hound on January 28, 2009, 12:54:05 PM
Ridiculous??

As I said I don't believe Celtic do conduct their business that way. They couldnt possibly allow all players contracts to run down to such a level where they are free to negotiate with other clubs and/or hang on for free transfers.

I'm sure Celtic are the same as most other clubs and they seek to tie down players into new contracts the summer before their existing contracts are up.

And I agree that a reason why they didnt offer Miller a contract eariler was they were worried about his injury history. That's not much comfort to him though.
so you are saying that they singled out this particular player and didnt follow normal procedure regarding contracts ?

have a think about that.
I will re-iterate that this premise is ridiculous as is th enotion he wasnt offered a contract in time.
I recall him being told in early season (before his CL heroics) he had been verbally offered a new contract so it was just a case of him signing.
I had heard a lot about him in his time at aalborg so was watchin out for him - esp as he was irish.
So your story is complete pants!
Sorry, I'm not looking to argue with you, but you seem to have been listening to idle gossip.
Indeed we'll agree to disagree. But yes they did treat hime differently because they took too long to make up their mind on him, and I can't believe he didnt sign that verbal contract  8)
the verbal notification that he was going to get a new contract should have been good enough - it is for everyone else.

you may have a problem on how Celtic conduct their contractual agreements, but as no other player has had a problem with this, then please tell me how miller was different ?
As I said, I got info regarding miller and the contract at the time from DD's office and this was all ran in the usual way. Miller was offered a great contract and would have been on the receiving end of re-negotiations on performance etc as all players are.
Not sure why you think Celtic treated miller badly - I suspect you are a man u fan ?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Jezuz didn't know to laugh or cry last night!

Think that I have lost about 6 lbs in sweat!!

A final against the Hun to look forward to - CLASS.....!  ;D

On an aside, Miller was greedy and is now reaping his hasty decision to leave Celtic and run to Man Ure to languish in the reserves! imo.
Tbc....

Croí na hÉireann

Unbelievable penalties last night, never seen anything like it. Was sure Naylor was gonna miss when he stepped up, some peno by the Holy Goalie...

Heart goes out to Willo Flood who has looked the part anytime I've seen him this season. Same goes for Dundee United as well, Levin has them well organised and hopefully they take a couple of points of the Huns on Saturday...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

T Fearon

Great penalty by Artur, reminiscent in terms of nonchalance, of Zidane in the 2006 WC Final.

Good to see Feeney not playing in the CIS Cup Final as well ;D

Myles Na G.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 29, 2009, 10:12:55 AM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 29, 2009, 06:59:40 AM
Lynchboy, you would also agree that the team was in need of major overhaul when WGS tookover, as evidenced by the throwing away of the league title in the dying minutes of the final game of the previous season, and WGS didn't inherit any players of the calibre of Larsson, Moravcik etc.

The real criticism is why the team wasn't bolstered immediately after the 2003 UEFA Cup Final

My contention remains that both O'Neill and Strachan have done admirable jobs at Celtic Park. But even the current issue of NTV questions the style of football played by O'Neill post Henrik.
lost it in midfield mostly that year, and the successor was groomed and ready, but the little rat fecked off to man u
big problem was the amount of inj , and MON was guilty of being too loyal to the old guard and not giving some of the younger lads a run when needed. He made a mistake - but that didnt happen often !

buying quality players over a rake of mediocre players I think is the way to go, they all cost much the same
a couple of top notch players helping you progress inthe CL and their wages wouldnt cost that much more than a heap of shaun maloneys that will do fcuk all for the team (apart from the reserves)
He turned out to be a world beater, didn't he? A handful of promising appearances doesn't make for a great player. (remember Jamie Smith??) I'm a big fan of MON and what he achieved at CP, but Strach's record betters him. He took over an ageing squad and turned it into a championship winning side. He took the Hoops into the latter stages of European competition, where MON couldn't manage it, despite his big money signings. Give the wee man a break.
He was a world beater - how miller played on those few occasions was more than enough to prove to 50,000 season ticket holders and fans that he was the real deal.
he messed up himself by going to man u and not getting a game for two years - kind of fecks up any kind of continuity and momentum !

jamie smith was never a decent player under mon - hes a striker for starters and was only a winger/makeshift full back under mon. Aberdeen is his level. Nice lad though

been giving gs a break for a few years now. MON's wife made sure his focus wasnt on CP in his last season - maybe more.

Yeah, Miller was genuine quality. Fergie was wrong. No judge of a player that man. He'll never make a decent manager.  ::)
?? ?
surely what you have just said backs up my point that miller was a potentially great player, good enough for man u to want,yet only for fergie to squander by not picking him
plenty of others have had similar experiences - that juan sebastian veron was a donkey wasnt he  ::)
With all young players, you're just buying potential. Fergie saw potential in Miller so he bought him. Miller didn't fulfill his early promise. Nothing to do with Fergie or Man Utd. It happens with loads of young lads and would probably have happened even if Miller had stayed at CP. He just didn't make the grade, end of story.
'myles' players with potential only dont play and star in 3 Champions league games

He figured in only 20 - 30 games for Celtic, including European matches, and many of those appearances were as a sub. He hadn't even established himself in the first team. He showed great potential, but that's all. No club in Europe has a better record than Man Utd for bringing on young talent. If they couldn't make a top grade player out of Miller, it's because he didn't have it in him. QPR? That's his level.
stick to linfield

Spot the man who's just lost the argument!  :D

Evil Genius

stick to linfield

Is this yet another repetition of  your claim that Myles Na G and I are one and the same? Or are you confusing Myles with someone else again?

Anyhow, for the record, this NI fan knows or cares very little about Celtic (although I do take marginally more interest in them now they've got 3 or 4 NI players on the books). That said, having to choose between supporting them or Linfield would be a bit like asking me whether I wanted to saw my own arm off with a broken bottle or a rusty knife... :o

P.S. Liam Miller's entry in Wiki shows he played a grand total of 26 games for Celtic, so with an estimate of "20 to 30", Myles got that one pretty much bang-on, at least.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Celtic close in on Flood signing 

Celtic are close to signing Dundee United midfielder Willo Flood after the player had a medical in Glasgow.

However, the 23-year-old Irishman has been critical of the way his proposed move has been handled.

He also said the speculation affected him as he missed a crucial penalty in Wednesday's Co-operative Insurance Cup semi-final defeat by Celtic.

"It's stupid the way it has gone on. I've a wife and kid and we don't know if we're coming or going," said Flood.

"If it was going to be done, it should have been done. If not, then Celtic should make a statement saying that," he added.

Celtic have confirmed their interest in Cardiff City player Flood, who has impressed during his loan spell at Tannadice.

The Scottish champions' coach Neil Lennon believes Flood could fill the position vacated by Shunsuke Nakamura when the Japan star returns to his homeland at the end of the season.

Flood is out of contract in the summer and Cardiff manager Dave Jones says he has spoken to Celtic counterpart Gordon Strachan about the Irishman.

Celtic midfielder Barry Robson says he was in the same position as his former United team-mate before completing a £1m switch to Parkhead this time last year.  I speak to my agent every day and we don't know what's happening

"I know how Willo is feeling, I had a few teams chasing me and I didn't know where my future lay," said Robson.

"You're a football player and you need to be strong. You need to try and blank everything out and get on with it.

"Because you never know, you might go somewhere else or something else might happen."

Flood stated earlier that switching to Celtic would be a "dream move" for him.

But now the former Republic of Ireland under-21 player is becoming frustrated with the uncertainty surrounding his future.  MY SPORT: DEBATE
Give your reaction to this story

"I speak to my agent every day and we don't know what's happening," said Flood.

"I think it's a bit disrespectful to Dundee United when they have done so well for me, that there are things in the papers saying 'Celtic want Flood'."

Flood struck his sudden-death penalty in Wednesday's semi-final, the 23rd of the shoot-out, against the bar, following which Scott McDonald scored to set up an Old Firm Co-operative Insurance Cup final.

"After the first round of penalties at the start I thought 'thank god, that's me over'," said Flood.

"I was laughing with the boys on the halfway line. Then it came back to me and I thought 'oh, no'.

"When I went up to take the kick I was thinking of going the opposite way, which I never do."

"I think that's why I just gave it a little bit too much."

Although he says he would seriously consider any offer from Celtic, he admits he would have mixed feelings about leaving the Terrors.

"I would be very disappointed because the manager has been unbelievable to me," he said.

"He has put my career back on track and everything I gain in football I owe to Craig Levein and Peter Houston.

"They have got confidence in me and I think they have made me a better player.

"It would be a sad, sad situation if I was to leave but, who knows, I might be here for a few years to come."

Dundee United are also keen to make Flood's contract at Tannadice permanent after nearly two seasons on loan from Cardiff.

The Tannadice club's chairman Stephen Thompson said: "We've made him a fantastic offer and would love him to stay. But, in the end, he'll make up his own mind.

"If Celtic have an offer accepted, which we presume they will, the decision will be Willo's."

Could think of worse players we could be linked with! Flood has looked really good in the SPL for Utd, but it would be interesting to see how well he would play against European opposition?

Tbc....

lfdown2

GDA, i think thats the problem when buying players they are bought with a view to winning the league and no more while its great to win the league every year it comes back to my earlier point of 'wheres the ambition...'

Dannymcfella

Quote from: lfdown2 on January 30, 2009, 10:41:12 AM
GDA, i think thats the problem when buying players they are bought with a view to winning the league and no more while its great to win the league every year it comes back to my earlier point of 'wheres the ambition...'

Its next to imossible to attract the players which Celtic would want to, you just have to look at Kovac who says he has snubbed Celtic to join West Ham, try saying he done this to play in the Champions League and not just chasing £!!! Strachan called it well when he said 7 years ago Celtic had the 5th highest wages in the SPL & EPL now we can't even compete with Hull or Stoke as far as wages are concerned.

Muzz

I would imagine Celtic could compete a lot better if they got rid of half the players that are on big wages but are not getting a game for one reason or another...Balde for one?  A list of what everyone is paid - im sure we would all get some shocks.

nifan

Is Balde still there!
Remember him looking decent for a while then going to shit - one tackle on Scholes sticks in the memory

lfdown2

Quote from: Muzz on January 30, 2009, 11:26:21 AM
I would imagine Celtic could compete a lot better if they got rid of half the players that are on big wages but are not getting a game for one reason or another...Balde for one?  A list of what everyone is paid - im sure we would all get some shocks.

exactly, thats the point if the 30m spend by strachan had been spend on 5 players instead of 20 it would be all realative, thats exactly what im trying to say, my grievance is that there is a huge lack of ambition, celtic should now be aiming to push on past the 2nd round of champ league though that has become the acceptable level, surely with it becoming knock out after league stages it is not unreasonable to expect q-finals?!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 29, 2009, 06:29:37 PM

?? ?

stick to linfield

Spot the man who's just lost the argument!  :D
nope you just havent a clue so is there any point replying you the'both of you' ! :D
if you did know about Celtic and miller(even gained the info from earlier posts)
Millers credentials were mad on his perf in reserves when not inj and mostly in the season at Aalborg and then in the season with the first team.
so as mentioned, stick to your own team - linfield ...etc etc

dont play with the big boys as you only end up getting found out !
:D

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Evil Genius on January 29, 2009, 07:26:09 PM
stick to linfield

Is this yet another repetition of  your claim that Myles Na G and I are one and the same? Or are you confusing Myles with someone else again?

Anyhow, for the record, this NI fan knows or cares very little about Celtic (although I do take marginally more interest in them now they've got 3 or 4 NI players on the books). That said, having to choose between supporting them or Linfield would be a bit like asking me whether I wanted to saw my own arm off with a broken bottle or a rusty knife... :o

P.S. Liam Miller's entry in Wiki shows he played a grand total of 26 games for Celtic, so with an estimate of "20 to 30", Myles got that one pretty much bang-on, at least.
:D
scizo !