Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

illdecide

just back into work today from last Tuesday...The game against Utd was good for atmosphere and really enjoyed it, the 2nd half was poor but i understand the reasons for it. It's just a pity we didn't have JVOH and samaras fit as we def could have created more chances hence the Utd pressure...but a draw with Utd is not at all bad with the players we had available, i know at Celtic Park we should settle for nothin less than a win against all teams but when you're using your 8th choice striker to come of the bench then you know your in diffs...

P.S. met Gaoth on the Stena and had a pint. Good lad he his...I was down looking for T Fearon on the London road before the game but no joy...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Rav67

I think when they're actually already woven into jersies (much in the same ashion as the way it's practically forced upon anyone who's going to be on British national tv for those 2 weeks every year) it becomes a denial of freedom of conscience and freedom of expression.  It's strange really when you see how far television and big institutions in British society (such as football clubs) usually bend over backwards not to offend people when it comes to religious or racial sensitivities, yet people are left with very little room for manoevere when it comes to the poppy issue.  But I do agree that they could have held the protest with a bit more dignity than they did on Saturday.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Doogie Browser on November 10, 2008, 10:41:13 AM
I was dissapointed to see the Poppies on the jersies too, definitely has Reid's hands all over it.  I would say the overwhelming majority of Celtic's Irish supporters would be against this.  It sets a precedent now also because if they do not do it next year people will be quick to point this out.
On a wider note did all teams in England do this at the weekend also?  Was it a mandatory requirement from the respective FA's or was it individual club's decision? 
Celtic could choose other ways to remember people killed during the wars rather than displaying probably the most divisive symbol prevalent in Irish society today.

Blackburn and Arsenal were the only two English teams I noticed with the poppy woven into the shirt. Possibly there were a couple other but certainly not all.

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on November 10, 2008, 11:02:38 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 10, 2008, 08:57:41 AM
My point here is that Celtic, as a club are at pains to emphasise their non political agenda, and print this in the mission statement in every single home match programme, Celtic View etc. With the team donning poppies I don't see how this squares with the mission statement. I will raise this at next year's AGM

Something of an irony I would have thought, its people who are making an issue of this who are bringing politics into it. Ultimately the wearing of the poppy commemartes war dead of every faith and political view and in particular the two world wars. Those Celtic fans who had a problem with it could have refused to wear Poppies and could have refused to take part in the minutes applause. Instead the way they handled their 'protest' lacked class and was pretty embarrasing for Celtic. The fact that only a tiny minority took part and were booed by large sections of the Celtic support did the fans in general great credit however.

Is this not simply incorrect? I've always been under the impression that the Poppy is a symbol of remembrance exclusively for the dead of the British Army.

As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 10, 2008, 07:15:03 PM
Is this not simply incorrect? I've always been under the impression that the Poppy is a symbol of remembrance exclusively for the dead of the British Army.

Its a symbol worn (by some) on Remembrance Day to remember war dead. Of every faith and political view. I have no issue with people who dont want to wear them (Im not wearing one to be honest) but making a political issue out of it at a football match is churlish in the extreme.

As for the odious Dr Reid some people might enjoy this clip from last years Only an Excuse, about 2'10 into it;

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=G7KyEFBHYWQ&feature=related

Minder

I read that 7 Celtic players died in WW1, the protest was by knuckle draggers.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Rav67

Quote from: illdecide on November 10, 2008, 05:21:44 PM
just back into work today from last Tuesday...The game against Utd was good for atmosphere and really enjoyed it, the 2nd half was poor but i understand the reasons for it. It's just a pity we didn't have JVOH and samaras fit as we def could have created more chances hence the Utd pressure...but a draw with Utd is not at all bad with the players we had available, i know at Celtic Park we should settle for nothin less than a win against all teams but when you're using your 8th choice striker to come of the bench then you know your in diffs...

P.S. met Gaoth on the Stena and had a pint. Good lad he his...I was down looking for T Fearon on the London road before the game but no joy...

Were you sitting anywhere near the numpty who ran on the pitch?  I heard that the nearest steward was a lad of about 18-20 who just let him run until stewards from the other side got him, then people in the crowd were giving the useless steward verbals for it and he started crying and had to be "subbed"!

T Fearon

Twat was near the corner flag of the North Stand, I was seated round the middle of the same stand. Couldn't believe it and couldn't understand why big Mick didn't stick his boot up his hole. This is inexcusable after what happened last year with Dida, and whoever heads up the stewarding operation at Celtic Park should be held fully accountable. Too many people become stewards simply to get a freebie into games and neither realise nor are equipped to deal with the responsibilities of the role.

T Fearon

See Frank Mc Garvey is taking a bit of flack after suggesting that Mc Donald's substitution due to fatigue last week calls into question the training regime at Celtic.  :o

Over the Bar

The forces of darkness drop two points tonight so Celtic go 4 clear at the top! 

Not bad for having an injury ravaged squad, having to play CL footie while rangers players watch Corrie on a Wed night and having lost the 1st old firm game of the season.

Doogie Browser

Plus two more goals under his belt for Cillian Sheridan, all in all a good nights work for Celtic, 4 points is a great cushion in the SPL.

mhacadoir

all in all a good night. thought donati played well, as did hinkel and sheridan grew in confidence. give him a year and we got a player.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Doogie Browser on November 12, 2008, 11:00:07 PM
Plus two more goals under his belt for Cillian Sheridan, all in all a good nights work for Celtic, 4 points is a great cushion in the SPL.

What were shierdans goals like - did he play well in general?

T Fearon

Brilliant for young Sheridan, an Ulsterman who can score goals in top flight football. Hope Trap is being informed of his progress.

Watched the Huns Moterwell match and all I can say is thank fcuk we missed out on Lafferty, he makes Miller and Boyd looke like Gulllit and Van Basten

Incidentally anyone fancy a day trip to the Villareal game? Supporters Club in Antrim offering trip and ticket for £85, back on the midnight sailing from Stranraer.Sounds good to me

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on November 13, 2008, 09:26:17 AM
Brilliant for young Sheridan, an Ulsterman who can score goals in top flight football. Hope Trap is being informed of his progress.

Watched the Huns Moterwell match and all I can say is thank fcuk we missed out on Lafferty, he makes Miller and Boyd looke like Gulllit and Van Basten

Incidentally anyone fancy a day trip to the Villareal game? Supporters Club in Antrim offering trip and ticket for £85, back on the midnight sailing from Stranraer.Sounds good to me

was thinking the exact same myself about sheridan and lafferty.
Young Shero will be a viable option up front  for Ireland if he continues to progress. The striking four would be Doyle, Keane, Folan and Shero.
Prob more starting to emerge now too.
Just need to get the midfield and full backs sorted out, but I think things are looking good.

Also looking good for Celtic right now with the young side starting to play well. But so they should, most of these lads cost a lot more and are imo far more skilled than their opposition in the spl.
That spl teams sit back with 10 men behind the ball each game v Celtic makes it harder to get wins.

Dont know if anyone saw the game motherwell v huns last night. I didnt watch it all, just 5 - 10 minute segments, but it was highly entertaining football with motherwell really playing great stuff and deserved their draw. No 10 men behind the ball there, why do teams go out to play attacking soccer against rangers and not against Celtic ?
I have to say that while the quality /price of playes in the spl is way less than the epl equivalent, the entertainment is imo way better than most epl teams - with exception to Arsenal and at times man u, chelsea and liverpool.

Hope Celtic can keep this going now and gain confidence in preparation for the next game v huns and win that one. Samaras back is a huge lift for the side too. Hope McGeady recovers quickly.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: illdecide on November 10, 2008, 05:21:44 PM

Illdecide, your not a bad aul spud yourself, was wrecked by the time we got home after the game - 4am!!  :-\
Tone would have spent the pre-match trying to find his brick again.  ;)
Tbc....