Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

full back

Tony cant give an unbiased view af any player never mind a game ::)
If he hasnt spud glasses on he has green & white ones on

Dont go starting any new threads, eh ;)

Main Street

There is a grain of truth in Tony's musings on the game.

I thought Celtic could well have held on but when Rooney and Berbatov came on, the odds shifted radically. Just that extra ingredient of unpredictable genius.
I was impressed with Man U over the 2 legs. They strolled the first leg. In Glasgow they worked very hard as a team to choke Celtic in the 2nd half and get the draw. Every Celtic player was closed down in an instant and every option for a pass was covered.

nifan

I dislike Man u as much as the next man - but to not rate ferdinand or vidic is mad.

And Lynchbhoy - you accidently put wesley brown in you list of good centre halves! In any case seems evans is the preferred back up at CH now, with wes FB.

Laursen would be your man from AV (they also have Cueller and the mighty Zat Knight)

reddgnhand

Cant believe some of the stuff on here. It wasnt a good result, it was an embarrasment for Celtic. The white flag went up before the game even started. Barca, AC Milan,Juve have all came to Celtic park with much better teams than Utd had out on Wednesday night and Celtic at least tried to compete with them. The club is going backwards and its only covered up by the fact Rangers have been so poor the last few seasons.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: nifan on November 07, 2008, 01:57:53 PM
I dislike Man u as much as the next man - but to not rate ferdinand or vidic is mad.

And Lynchbhoy - you accidently put wesley brown in you list of good centre halves! In any case seems evans is the preferred back up at CH now, with wes FB.

Laursen would be your man from AV (they also have Cueller and the mighty Zat Knight)
I just think wes brown is great - John oshea is next best imo, but thats just me being biased...
havent seen enough of evans, but hes prob better than ferdinand who I still cannot work out why people think hes good
hes sihte in the air
but he is quick, then again I dont think hes any good at tackling

I'm a centre half nazi by the way - complete old school so I cant/wont rate him or the likes of him (not pushed on liverpools centre halves either).
Laursens not bad but I will have to retract what I said about villa, despite them doing well, none of those are too hot  :o

T Fearon

Good win on Saturday, under the circumstances, but I was disappointed to see Celtic players wearing poppies on their jersies, given the record of the British Forces in Ireland over many centuries. What would Brother Walfrid say? >:(

Rav67

Quote from: T Fearon on November 09, 2008, 08:57:18 PM
Good win on Saturday, under the circumstances, but I was disappointed to see Celtic players wearing poppies on their jersies, given the record of the British Forces in Ireland over many centuries. What would Brother Walfrid say? >:(

"Dr Death" John Reid was apparently at the forefront of pushing for all the Scottish teams to have a poppy on their jersies, I'd say a fair few fans weren't too pleased about it.

As for the centre-half debate, Ferdinand is immense, one of the best 3 or 4 in the world IMO.  Caldwell is the better of Celtic's 2, I can understand some people still criticising him because he used to be a complete bombscare but he's really came on leaps and bounds since around March time and has been Celtic's best defender this season.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Celtic's centre half performance is always helped when they play with 4 of them.

Last Wednesday's performance was anti-football on a par with Rangers' UEFA Cup displays last year.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

nifan

I daresay many Celtic fans where killed during the wars.
Perhaps they should choose to remember them with the poppies.

stiffler

A gr
Quote from: Rav67 on November 09, 2008, 09:11:50 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 09, 2008, 08:57:18 PM

"Dr Death" John Reid was apparently at the forefront of pushing for all the Scottish teams to have a poppy on their jersies, I'd say a fair few fans weren't too pleased about it.

A great idea from the chariman....if his plan was to alienate and divise the supporter base.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

T Fearon

My point here is that Celtic, as a club are at pains to emphasise their non political agenda, and print this in the mission statement in every single home match programme, Celtic View etc. With the team donning poppies I don't see how this squares with the mission statement. I will raise this at next year's AGM

Doogie Browser

I was dissapointed to see the Poppies on the jersies too, definitely has Reid's hands all over it.  I would say the overwhelming majority of Celtic's Irish supporters would be against this.  It sets a precedent now also because if they do not do it next year people will be quick to point this out.
On a wider note did all teams in England do this at the weekend also?  Was it a mandatory requirement from the respective FA's or was it individual club's decision? 
Celtic could choose other ways to remember people killed during the wars rather than displaying probably the most divisive symbol prevalent in Irish society today.

T Fearon

At Celtic Park last Wednesday night,I saw not one person wearing a poppy, either inside or outside the stadium. The Celtic team wouldn't be permitted to wear Easter Lillies, and it should not be permitted to wear poppies, which are a symbol of unqualified approval of the British Crown Forces. This was a major mistake

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on November 10, 2008, 11:02:38 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 10, 2008, 08:57:41 AM
My point here is that Celtic, as a club are at pains to emphasise their non political agenda, and print this in the mission statement in every single home match programme, Celtic View etc. With the team donning poppies I don't see how this squares with the mission statement. I will raise this at next year's AGM

Something of an irony I would have thought, its people who are making an issue of this who are bringing politics into it. Ultimately the wearing of the poppy commemartes war dead of every faith and political view and in particular the two world wars. Those Celtic fans who had a problem with it could have refused to wear Poppies and could have refused to take part in the minutes applause. Instead the way they handled their 'protest' lacked class and was pretty embarrasing for Celtic. The fact that only a tiny minority took part and were booed by large sections of the Celtic support did the fans in general great credit however.
If you think the Poppy is not a political symbol in Ireland you are being very naive, Celtic are fundamentally an Irish sports association and draw the vast majority of its support from Irish people or people of Irish descent who have no affinity with the poppy as an act of rememberance because of the political undertones.  
I have no problem with commemorating people slain in the wars but just think Celtic could have chosen a different method of rememberance rather than emblazoning a poppy on the kit.  Alex Maskey and Tom Hartley displayed appropriate measures of how to do this effectively in recent times as first citizens of Belfast.

lfdown2

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on November 10, 2008, 11:02:38 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 10, 2008, 08:57:41 AM

Something of an irony I would have thought, its people who are making an issue of this who are bringing politics into it. Ultimately the wearing of the poppy commemartes war dead of every faith and political view and in particular the two world wars. Those Celtic fans who had a problem with it could have refused to wear Poppies and could have refused to take part in the minutes applause. Instead the way they handled their 'protest' lacked class and was pretty embarrasing for Celtic. The fact that only a tiny minority took part and were booed by large sections of the Celtic support did the fans in general great credit however.

exactly, perhaps start a new thread and keep the politics of this thread we all know you are right and good at it fearon