Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

ziggysego

Did you not send your letter in Tony? I didn't see your name in the Irish News.
Testing Accessibility

T Fearon

Noticed that. It seems that sone sports journalists at the Irish News cannot countenance the views of those who are at variance with their own sadly. This is particularly true when one highlights their limited knowledge on certain subjects

ziggysego

Ack now Tony, there were plenty of letters in support of opening Casement Park to the two Celtics.
Testing Accessibility

Main Street

Just who do you think can open Casement Park to the 2 Celtics?

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on July 10, 2008, 09:13:17 AM
Noticed that. It seems that sone sports journalists at the Irish News cannot countenance the views of those who are at variance with their own sadly. This is particularly true when one highlights their limited knowledge on certain subjects
That's rubbish. There were plenty of opinions published for both sides of the debate.

saffron sam2

Quote from: hardstation on July 10, 2008, 05:30:08 PM
The case for keeping the DC match out of Casement was best made by Saffron Sam.

First time I have ever used my real name when contacting the Irish News. I normally use one of a number of noms de plume.

Are you sure Fearon wasn't the 53 year old woman who didn't leave her name, but said that having the game at Casement would give the young folk something to do instead of rioting?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

the green man

Quote from: T Fearon on July 08, 2008, 02:24:50 PM
Paddy doesn't realise that Glasgow Celtic are more than just a "Soccer club" and as Tyrone were allowed to parade the Sam Maguie at Parkhead before a league game back in 2003  and Armagh travelled there in 2000 to seek out Martin O'Neill's advice, then Casementv Park should host this historic match

I'm sure Paddy does realise that Celtic are more than just a 'soccer club'. But first and foremost, that is what they are. No need to go into the founding of the club, we all know what it is.

If Celtic were ever to win the Champions League, I'm sure the GAA would have no bother letting Celtic parade the Cup around Croke Park.

The Celtic coaching staff would be most welcome at any GAA team, to garner tips and advice.

As Heaney said, why should it be the GAA's problem to help out an inept IFA, and all that goes with it.

T Fearon

It probably would be a logistical nightmare to hold any event at Casement which attracts more than the seventy six strong crowd that turns up regularly to watch the Antrim Hurling team get a pasting from some team that Kilkenny will subsequently hammer seven shades of shite out of when the real All Ireland Hurling Championship gets underway. The empty terraces at Casement, witnessed during the tv reports of games or mismatches there, are an embarrassment, the only time the stadium attracts a crowd is when Armagh footballers play a Championship game there, every five years.

On a more positive note the first Celtic View of the new season is out and there's a great interview with Paddy Mc Court in it

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on July 11, 2008, 09:21:13 AM
It probably would be a logistical nightmare to hold any event at Casement which attracts more than the seventy six strong crowd that turns up regularly to watch the Antrim Hurling team get a pasting from some team that Kilkenny will subsequently hammer seven shades of shite out of when the real All Ireland Hurling Championship gets underway. The empty terraces at Casement, witnessed during the tv reports of games or mismatches there, are an embarrassment, the only time the stadium attracts a crowd is when Armagh footballers play a Championship game there, every five years.

On a more positive note the first Celtic View of the new season is out and there's a great interview with Paddy Mc Court in it
Am i mistaken on thinking you were arguing for Casement over Clones with regard to the Ulster Final (largely on the basis of logistics)? I may be wrong.
Also, would it not be an even bigger embarrassment if Celtic were to fill Casement when Antrim can't even come close? Would that not just show up how cultural and Irish West Belfast really is?

clarshack

Quote from: T Fearon on July 11, 2008, 09:21:13 AM
The empty terraces at Casement, witnessed during the tv reports of games or mismatches there, are an embarrassment

the changing rooms in the place are an even bigger embarrasment.

mhacadoir

celtic have signed samaras permanently

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Samaras completes Celtic switch 
By Simon Austin 

Greek striker Georgios Samaras has signed a three-year contract with Scottish champions Celtic.

The 23-year-old impressed Bhoys boss Gordon Strachan when he was on loan from Manchester City last season.

City bought Samaras from Dutch side Heerenveen for £6m in January 2006 and have made a substantial loss in offloading the Greek international.

Samaras said the influence of boss Gordon Strachan and Celtic's "family atmosphere" had persuaded him to stay.

"Celtic are one of the best teams in Europe, with a very distinguished football manager," he told Celtic's official website.

"His unique way and unconditional desire to see me in his squad persuaded me to sign for the club.

"The same goes for the fans. They showed their support to me and with their dedication and excitement, they helped me decide that this is the right club for me.

"The important element for my decision, however, was the fact that there is a family atmosphere around here.

"We all respect each other and help each other, there is understanding and tolerance and these are all necessary ingredients for the success of a club and for the personal development of a football player.

"I am waiting for the start of the new season so I can help my team to repeat the successes of the last season. With the help of the fans, it is my view that we will achieve great things."

Samaras scored six goals for Celtic last season, although he failed to break up the first-choice strike partnership of Scott McDonald and Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink.

He played for Greece at Euro 2008 and was then given clearance not to travel with the rest of the Manchester City squad to Germany for pre-season training.

He was signed by former City boss Stuart Pearce and went on to score only 12 goals for the club.

Samaras quickly fell out of favour when Sven-Goran Eriksson replaced Pearce as manager last summer, making only five league appearances last season before moving to Glasgow in the January transfer window.

Stoke, Hull, Lazio, Besiktas, Feyenoord and Werder Bremen were also reported to have been interested in landing the forward.

If we got Samaras for 2 million (or the knock-down 1million - unconfirmed) which I heard, then good deal.

Also looking like Bobo's on the move and possibily Tamas coming in.

Also Celtic have signed 16 yr old Rochdale defending sensation Matty Hughes.

Tbc....

the milkman

Happy enough with the Samaras deal, I dont think we will get much better for the price!

Hopefully we can get Tamas in and then a LB.

inisceithleann

Can't agree with the Samaras signing at all. Saw him a few times for Man City and he offers very little at times. He's got a good touch but doesn't like the physical side of the game. Probably will be used as an impact player at Celtic.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Yes I Would

Thought he done rightly last year in any games i seen him.
He is realistically the calibre of player that Celtic are going to attract or afford, unfortunately.