62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

donalmac99

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 18, 2008, 09:55:02 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 17, 2008, 04:59:28 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 17, 2008, 10:42:24 AM
Thank the sweet lord, it looks like Lafferty has gone to the Hun.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/burnley/7451140.stm

That deal is nearly worth 4 million overall (3.25 million and Gow) for a lad with a very modest scoring record in the championship?

IMO Celtic went for this lad to raise his price and make the Forces Of Darkness pay top dollar for him.
The only teams going for him were Rangers, (poss) us and Wolves, now if this fella was any good at all then why weren't any of the lower EPL teams sniffing about him?

from what ive heard he actually had a sit down with GS. Im disappointed that we've lost him to them

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: donalmac99 on June 18, 2008, 10:19:14 AM

That deal is nearly worth 4 million overall (3.25 million and Gow) for a lad with a very modest scoring record in the championship?

IMO Celtic went for this lad to raise his price and make the Forces Of Darkness pay top dollar for him.
The only teams going for him were Rangers, (poss) us and Wolves, now if this fella was any good at all then why weren't any of the lower EPL teams sniffing about him?

from what ive heard he actually had a sit down with GS. Im disappointed that we've lost him to them

Donal, I not sorry at all, the lads scoring record is shi*e (btw even if he was played out of position on the wing, wee Aidan has scored more then him in a similar position in one season), also no-one else seemed remotely interested in him.
He could possibily turn into a great player in a few seasons, but I doubt it (especially not under Uncle Walter and Aunt Sally!).
Tbc....

donalmac99

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 18, 2008, 11:25:51 AM
Quote from: donalmac99 on June 18, 2008, 10:19:14 AM

Donal, I not sorry at all, the lads scoring record is shi*e (btw even if he was played out of position on the wing, wee Aidan has scored more then him in a similar position in one season), also no-one else seemed remotely interested in him.
He could possibily turn into a great player in a few seasons, but I doubt it (especially not under Uncle Walter and Aunt Sally!).

i think that it's his all round game that is his strength. the burnley fans are gutted that he's going.  KL has occupied left of midfield for most of the season because Burnley haven't had a creditable leftsided player, and as such his goalscoring opportunities have suffered as a consequence.  I think he' develop at a club such as rangers and would've with us.

Rav67

He definitely wont be a hate figure for me, that would be just the same as them abusing Lennon for the simple reason of being a northern catholic who played for Celtic.  He was eager to go to either of the clubs so he couldn't be all that much of a Rangers fan anyway.  The money seems steep to me and I'm glad Celtic didn't pay it as in all probability that would have left a serious dent in the summer budget.  I'll admit I haven't seen all that much of him though so I'll reserve judgement on him just yet, he's got his career ahead of him though so he shouldn't diminish in value which is what Smith is probably thinking about. 

Anyone any thoughts on who Celtic could sign in the summer?  Anybody impressed at the Euros so far who would be a realistic target?

screenexile

Quote from: Rav67 on June 18, 2008, 03:12:52 PM
He definitely wont be a hate figure for me, that would be just the same as them abusing Lennon for the simple reason of being a northern catholic who played for Celtic.  He was eager to go to either of the clubs so he couldn't be all that much of a Rangers fan anyway.  The money seems steep to me and I'm glad Celtic didn't pay it as in all probability that would have left a serious dent in the summer budget.  I'll admit I haven't seen all that much of him though so I'll reserve judgement on him just yet, he's got his career ahead of him though so he shouldn't diminish in value which is what Smith is probably thinking about. 

Anyone any thoughts on who Celtic could sign in the summer?  Anybody impressed at the Euros so far who would be a realistic target?

Buying based on performances in a Championships is a very dodgy business... just ask Sir Alex!

donalmac99

Quote from: screenexile on June 18, 2008, 03:17:29 PM
Quote from: Rav67 on June 18, 2008, 03:12:52 PM

Buying based on performances in a Championships is a very dodgy business... just ask Sir Alex!

it's worked for david moyes at everton, eg lescott and cahill

screenexile

Poborsky, Kleberson, Djemba Djemba, Fortune... United have a load of Donkey's they got from Championships. Of course some are actually going to be good players but you need more background info on a player rather than watching him in a championships I think.

donalmac99

Quote from: screenexile on June 18, 2008, 03:25:36 PM
Poborsky, Kleberson, Djemba Djemba, Fortune... United have a load of Donkey's they got from Championships. Of course some are actually going to be good players but you need more background info on a player rather than watching him in a championships I think.

agreed, i think that's moyes strength though, unearthing diamonds

screenexile

I like Moyes... a really shrewd boy who always comes across well when interviewed or when anyone is interviewed about him. What's the chances of him ever coming to Celtic? I know he played at Parkhead for a few years but give Strachan another year and get Moyes in when he'll be looking for a new challenge. I think he would be great for them!

The Corporal

What about your man Engelaar for Holland? He seems decent and he'd be a far better player than Sno!

donalmac99

Quote from: screenexile on June 18, 2008, 03:53:08 PM
I like Moyes... a really shrewd boy who always comes across well when interviewed or when anyone is interviewed about him. What's the chances of him ever coming to Celtic? I know he played at Parkhead for a few years but give Strachan another year and get Moyes in when he'll be looking for a new challenge. I think he would be great for them!

to be fair i think that there's a big chance given his well documented contract disputes with evertons chairman. IMO he's taken everton as far as they can go on the limited funds available and unless they get a huge injection of cash for players he'll be off. The lure of champs league football might be to much for him to turn down with celtic, however id say that there'd be plenty of teams in for him if he became available.

mhacadoir

Quote from: The Corporal on June 18, 2008, 03:54:33 PM
What about your man Engelaar for Holland? He seems decent and he'd be a far better player than Sno!

apparently engelaar is lined up to a move to shalke.

i think if celtic are seriously looking at affordable players then teams like russia, croatia, poland etc, suits the scottish game better. pavlyunachenko (sp) has been mentioned a lot on the kerrydale street site, also there was word of darren bent but i seriously doubt it.

still think we need a quality left back in this summer. not really sure who tho at the moment.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: mhacadoir on June 18, 2008, 04:30:25 PM

i think if celtic are seriously looking at affordable players then teams like russia, croatia, poland etc, suits the scottish game better. pavlyunachenko (sp) has been mentioned a lot on the kerrydale street site, also there was word of darren bent but i seriously doubt it.

still think we need a quality left back in this summer. not really sure who tho at the moment.

Roman the russian (pavlychenko??) is being touted for approx 6 million, his wages would be quite high, so unlikely, but more likely then Bent, who is reportedly on 90k a week, so even if we took him on loan and Spurs paid half his wages, he'd still break the wage structure in the club, anyway seemingly Sunderland are going to table a 12-14 million bid for him.
Tbc....

Rav67

I had thought about Pavulckenko but thought he'd be worth upwards of £10m and one of the clubs in the top leagues would snap him up.  Would love to see him in a Celtic shirt, it would be the biggest coup in a long time, he's a fantastic striker.  Eidur Gudjohnsen's on the market for £4m apparently, would love Celtic to go for him too that would be a very ambitious move.

A LB has to be a priority though and quality CB, and shift a lot of the dead wood in defence.  I hope Boruc's displays in the Euros don't tempt Milan or Arsenal to come in for him, would only sell him if he really wanted to go and the bid was close to £15m.  If he did go Plietkosa would be a good replacement, he says he wants to come to Celtic because they are a Catholic club!  He'd be Holy Goalie II!

JimStynes

Quote from: donalmac99 on June 18, 2008, 10:17:56 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on June 17, 2008, 06:07:16 PM
In a way i would have wanted lafferty at the hoops to see what sort of reaction the norn iron supporters would have give him, imagine him scoring the winner in an old firm game  ;D But the other side of me see realises he is f**king shite and is glad the huns are going to waste ther money on him. He'l be the new hate figure on the rangers team along side barry ferguson.

FFS why bring them into everything, is it an obsession?
lets just concentrate on celtic and ireland.......let the nordies get on with their own business.
if he is so shite btw then how come both of the 'Glasgow giants' wanted him so badly?
id loved to have seen him in a hooped shirt. In a way though im glad he's not for he'd have got nothing but grief from nordie obsessed bigots like yer good self, at least you can use the excuse of him being 'a hun' now. ::)

f**king dry your eyes donal, you must be a OWCer in disguise. Suppose i am an obsessed bigot, im never done slabbering about 'huns' on the board. You know f**k all about me to call me a bigot. And i stand by my opinion that lafferty is shite, i will be happy enough to hold my hand up and say i was wrong if he goes on and scores 30 goals a season for rangers. But what i have seen so far from him has been complete crap.

Quote from: mhacadoir on June 18, 2008, 04:30:25 PM

Watched their game tonight, some cracking players on the russian team but dont think celtic would have the money to sign and pay the wages. Henrik unlucky with a few chances and he worked his balls off as usual. Thats bound to be him finished with Sweden now :P