?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Itchy

Quote from: Angelo on March 26, 2021, 10:06:37 AM
Michael O'Neill has not really done much of note at Stoke.

The issue with a contracted manager too is that their contract will need to be bought out which could be significant in O'Neill's.

For anyone wanting Keane, I despair. Look at his managerial record - it's absolutely shocking - he spent a huge amount of money relative to the clubs he was at and left them in an absolute hovel a season or two later. That's not even before we look at his attitude, he would last 3 months before he'd lose the dressing room and resign.

There's nothing there tactically with him, there is nothing there with him that develops or improves players. He's a quitter, he will walk out on a team in a huff or when the going gets tough.

The only people who want Keane are the same people who idolised him as a player and probably defended the indefensible in Saipan.

Keane would be a rotten corrosive presence in a dressing room and does not seem to have any great tactical, coaching or management talent. He is the worst possible person for this job.

I'd take a Mark McGhee or John Hughes over him any day and we all know they are not up to the job.

His management record is not "shocking", I would describe it as mixed - he got manager of the year in his first season with Sunderland for example. I think it is also reasonable to think he has learned from his first 3 roles in management. There is no point going over board like you are doing here. If he gets the job give him a bloody chance.

Angelo

Quote from: Itchy on March 26, 2021, 10:55:21 AM
Quote from: Angelo on March 26, 2021, 10:06:37 AM
Michael O'Neill has not really done much of note at Stoke.

The issue with a contracted manager too is that their contract will need to be bought out which could be significant in O'Neill's.

For anyone wanting Keane, I despair. Look at his managerial record - it's absolutely shocking - he spent a huge amount of money relative to the clubs he was at and left them in an absolute hovel a season or two later. That's not even before we look at his attitude, he would last 3 months before he'd lose the dressing room and resign.

There's nothing there tactically with him, there is nothing there with him that develops or improves players. He's a quitter, he will walk out on a team in a huff or when the going gets tough.

The only people who want Keane are the same people who idolised him as a player and probably defended the indefensible in Saipan.

Keane would be a rotten corrosive presence in a dressing room and does not seem to have any great tactical, coaching or management talent. He is the worst possible person for this job.

I'd take a Mark McGhee or John Hughes over him any day and we all know they are not up to the job.

His management record is not "shocking", I would describe it as mixed - he got manager of the year in his first season with Sunderland for example. I think it is also reasonable to think he has learned from his first 3 roles in management. There is no point going over board like you are doing here. If he gets the job give him a bloody chance.

It is shocking.

Look at the mess he left both clubs he has managed in, over a decade ago.

Think he signed 50+ players in over 2 years at Sunderland and around 30+ at Ipswich.

Ended up losing the dressing room in both cases and as I said that is over a decade ago.

Well done on getting manager of the year in the Championship after taking over a team who dropped down from the top flight and being bankrolled and signing 20 players in his first season.

Only a Keane fanboy could defend his managerial record. He is clueless and a bully. His style of management left in the 1990s.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Itchy

OK Angelo, you are right.

I look forward to you trying to hound him out of a job before a ball has been kicked.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on March 26, 2021, 11:08:16 AM

I look forward to you trying to hound him out of a job before a ball has been kicked.

Hasn't even got the job lol... 4/6 or 1/2 is good pricing all the same
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: Itchy on March 26, 2021, 11:08:16 AM

It's inevitable.

He's not up to the job.

Applesisapples

Desmond is staking a lot on Roy Keane. The bottom line is Celtic is not as big a draw at the moment many fans think. Keane may not work out but lets see. On Scott Brown: It was not his fault that Lennon used him too much, but nothing should take away from the job he has done as captain. A player who knew his abilities and his limits and maximised them to good effect.

Angelo

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 26, 2021, 11:40:24 AM
Desmond is staking a lot on Roy Keane. The bottom line is Celtic is not as big a draw at the moment many fans think.

It's a bigger draw than a guy who has not managed over the past decade and whose last job was as an assistant manager at Nottingham Forest.

It's a bigger draw than a guy whose two previous jobs saw him sacked at Bolton and Hibs.

So let's tone done the " not a big draw" line for excusing the appointment of woefully unqualified candidate because they have some Celtic/Irish link.

Jesse Marsch publicly came out and expressed in interest in the job and talked about what an opportunity it would be and he's very much a highly rated and respected manager across European circles right. He's infinitely more qualified than the likes of Keane or Kennedy but Desmond doesn't seem too bothered about opening talks with him.

Estimator

I'd suggest both clubs you're referring to were a mess before Keane got his hands on them... Sunderland definitely were!
But if you compare his win percentage with other Sunderland managers since Peter Reid* left he is 4th on the list. Which is the same position he is in with Ipswich town managers since George Burley* left. Both clubs have gone through plenty of full time and caretakers in the last 20years.
Other managers faired much worse.

*Using those two as they were synonymous with the clubs in late 90's / early '00.

**This isn't an endorsement for Keane to be the new Celtic Manager**
Ulster League Champions 2009

John Egans left boot

Desmond is staking a lot on Roy Keane. The bottom line is Celtic is not as big a draw at the moment many fans think. Keane may not work out but lets see. On Scott Brown: It was not his fault that Lennon used him too much, but nothing should take away from the job he has done as captain. A player who knew his abilities and his limits and maximised them to good effect.

You make an excellent point. Celtic isn't a big draw for many managers. Yes they have the potential to be a half a billion pound club in the future, but in the league their in and the tv rights etc that's not the case presently. Any manager would love to manage Celtic but in totally different circumstances than currently they find themselves within . The club is but t a stepping stone to bigger things..unfortunately

JimStynes

John Walters didn't think much of him from the Ireland squad either. If he gets it I hope he can turn things around but I don't see it as much of a step forward. I don't think DD would pay the money for a good candidate.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Angelo on March 26, 2021, 11:44:41 AM
Desmond is staking a lot on Roy Keane. The bottom line is Celtic is not as big a draw at the moment many fans think.

It's a bigger draw than a guy who has not managed over the past decade and whose last job was as an assistant manager at Nottingham Forest.

It's a bigger draw than a guy whose two previous jobs saw him sacked at Bolton and Hibs.

So let's tone done the " not a big draw" line for excusing the appointment of woefully unqualified candidate because they have some Celtic/Irish link.

Whether you like it or not Celtic is a company in private ownership and as such the owners can do as they see fit. Desmond is not stupid, he has made a lot of money and if he feels Keane is the right choice time will prove him right or wrong. Personally I wouldn't have appointed Keane but Celtic fans need to give him a chance. At the end of the day Gerrard would not have met with approval either but he has turned Rangers around.

Jesse Marsch publicly came out and expressed in interest in the job and talked about what an opportunity it would be and he's very much a highly rated and respected manager across European circles right. He's infinitely more qualified than the likes of Keane or Kennedy but Desmond doesn't seem too bothered about opening talks with him.

Angelo

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 26, 2021, 01:35:56 PM

Whether you like it or not Celtic is a company in private ownership and as such the owners can do as they see fit. Desmond is not stupid, he has made a lot of money and if he feels Keane is the right choice time will prove him right or wrong. Personally I wouldn't have appointed Keane but Celtic fans need to give him a chance. At the end of the day Gerrard would not have met with approval either but he has turned Rangers around.

Celtic fans do not need to give him a chance. Desmond has mismanaged this club and the fans need to show him that they won't accept it any longer. If Keane is appointed it might be the final straw and I can see season ticket sales being drastically impacted.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Angelo on March 26, 2021, 01:39:23 PM

Celtic fans do not need to give him a chance. Desmond has mismanaged this club and the fans need to show him that they won't accept it any longer. If Keane is appointed it might be the final straw and I can see season ticket sales being drastically impacted.
He owns the club and is responsible only to himself. Celtic fans have no more right to dictate to him than a customer in Dunnes has to dictate to Margaret Heffernan.

Angelo

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 26, 2021, 02:31:03 PM

He owns the club and is responsible only to himself. Celtic fans have no more right to dictate to him than a customer in Dunnes has to dictate to Margaret Heffernan.

And what happens when a business treats its customers with contempt?

About 30 of Celtic's revenue comes from season ticket holders and match day income. Last year fans forked over that money when they couldn't even attend a game. They are growing more and more disillusioned and this appointment will further aggravate them.

So if Desmond wants to make this decision, he should be conscious of the wrath of an increasingly frustrated and angry fanbase. The Celtic Trust is already making moves to build up their shareholding, does he really want to go to war with the fans?

Applesisapples

Quote from: Angelo on March 26, 2021, 03:32:45 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 26, 2021, 02:31:03 PM

And what happens when a business treats its customers with contempt?

About 30 of Celtic's revenue comes from season ticket holders and match day income. Last year fans forked over that money when they couldn't even attend a game. They are growing more and more disillusioned and this appointment will further aggravate them.

So if Desmond wants to make this decision, he should be conscious of the wrath of an increasingly frustrated and angry fanbase. The Celtic Trust is already making moves to build up their shareholding, does he really want to go to war with the fans?
So there is your option go and support someone else. Desmond hasn't appointed Keane to fail. If clubs were run on the whims of fans you'd have 10 managers.