?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

sid waddell

You might as well appoint Piers Morgan as Roy Keane, pretty much the same thing

screenexile

Celtic should be getting Eddie Howe and not doing that would be a huge mistake!

He has a experience at the top level... a philosophy and standards that he will expect from the players he's the type of project manager Celtic should be going after right now. Keane would be another step back!

Main Street

What are people basing the managerial nous of  Keane on? This is not Keane the football player, it's Keane the  one hit wonder with Sunderland to get promoted then he flopped again and again. It hit the pits when all he could sign were past it  or about to be past it Irish and Man U players., then he walked out without a word.with the club in a downward slope .

With Ipswich he was middling to mediocre.  As 2nd to O´Neill again he was an expensive  failure,  shite with Ireland,  a coward against Walters and a bully against Arter, even shite with piddly clubs like Villa and Forest.
Even his  punditry lacks any tactical insight, just entertaining good observations about players who are sloppy,  who had better perk up, keep the focus.  I think he has 20 stock comments which are regurgitated at random and somehow the barstoolers can't get enough of that.

tonto1888

Quote from: sid waddell on March 16, 2021, 09:15:56 PM

Well this is an absolutely ridiculous statement

sid waddell

Quote from: tonto1888 on March 16, 2021, 09:28:29 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on March 16, 2021, 09:15:56 PM

Well this is an absolutely ridiculous statement
Well, both are self-promoting professional contrarian loudmouths who have a history of staging petulant walk outs, and both loved a bit of hacking

The comparison is perhaps a bit unfair on Morgan, because he didn't walk out on a football team like Keane did

Captain Obvious

Former Sheffield United favourite to become the next Celtic manager.

JimStynes

I'd like someone similar to Brendan. Playing brilliant football and improving players on the training ground. All this Keane talk is rubbish as he has done f**k all worth talking about as a coach and manager. He falls out with too many people. That French crowd at the club wouldn't be long taking a huff and shutting up shop like they did with Lennon this season. A kick up the hole doesn't work with modern day players.

Angelo

Quote from: JimStynes on March 16, 2021, 10:05:19 PM
I'd like someone similar to Brendan. Playing brilliant football and improving players on the training ground. All this Keane talk is rubbish as he has done f**k all worth talking about as a coach and manager. He falls out with too many people. That French crowd at the club wouldn't be long taking a huff and shutting up shop like they did with Lennon this season. A kick up the hole doesn't work with modern day players.

This.

Howe is a decent option but I think he is very overrated.

If Martinez is a viable option he's my no 1 choice. Other than that I think the Slavia Prague coach is well worth a punt.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

ned

Its going to be Maresca.
I don't want Keane but he would have won us the league this year. He is so far ahead of Lennon even if he hasn't been a manager for a long time.

Angelo

Quote from: ned on March 16, 2021, 10:49:04 PM
Its going to be Maresca.
I don't want Keane but he would have won us the league this year. He is so far ahead of Lennon even if he hasn't been a manager for a long time.

Would he?

Keane would likely have alienated the players and lost the dressing room when things weren't going well. He's not a good manager, I don't think he is any visible upgrade on Lennon - the only upside is that he would have walked a lot sooner than Lennon did when things went south.

Itchy

Quote from: Angelo on March 16, 2021, 11:10:26 PM
Its going to be Maresca.

Would he?

Keane would likely have alienated the players and lost the dressing room when things weren't going well. He's not a good manager, I don't think he is any visible upgrade on Lennon - the only upside is that he would have walked a lot sooner than Lennon did when things went south.

I think you over state the appeal of celtic as a club to top level proven managers. Celtic hit the jackpot with Rodgers as fate transpired to throw them together. Its extremely unlikely a manager of his proven calibre will come to Celtic Park. The Scottish league is a back water, at best a stepping stone for a manager at a low ebb to get back to the top. That is the reality. That is why Keane is the type of manager that this might suit. Howe and Martinez would have a lot of other options in England I think.

Angelo

Quote from: Itchy on March 17, 2021, 01:51:25 PM
Quote from: Angelo on March 16, 2021, 11:10:26 PM
Its going to be Maresca.

Would he?

I think you over state the appeal of celtic as a club to top level proven managers. Celtic hit the jackpot with Rodgers as fate transpired to throw them together. Its extremely unlikely a manager of his proven calibre will come to Celtic Park. The Scottish league is a back water, at best a stepping stone for a manager at a low ebb to get back to the top. That is the reality. That is why Keane is the type of manager that this might suit. Howe and Martinez would have a lot of other options in England I think.

I think you overstate the allure of England.

By much better options in England who do you mean?

Unless they are getting jobs at top 6 clubs, then the only issue would be financial.

For what its worth Rodgers was supposedly on £2.25m a year at Celtic.

He left Celtic for a £5m a year salary at Leicester, he has since signed a new contract with Leicester at £10m a year.

The only possible reason any manager or players chooses a West Ham or Everton etc over Celtic is financially motivated. These clubs simply have to pay a premium to get the top talent.

screenexile

Exactly... so why is any manager worth his salt going to go to Scotland for less money and less kudos for performing well?

Realistically for a manager to get Everton/Leicester in the top 6 is a better achievement than Celtic winning the league!

Angelo

Quote from: screenexile on March 17, 2021, 02:15:03 PM
Exactly... so why is any manager worth his salt going to go to Scotland for less money and less kudos for performing well?

Realistically for a manager to get Everton/Leicester in the top 6 is a better achievement than Celtic winning the league!

They don't hand out trophies for top 6 finishes. Unless you have a top 4 finish you won't get in the CL.

So the only allure of managing in England outside the top 6 is money.

It's time for Desmond to get the cheque book out and pay for a manager in.

TBF Celtic don't have to compete with EPL clubs for the lives Tripisovsky, Jardim, Favre etc.

You will have at most 3/4 EPL jobs available this summer. There are plenty of good manager with impressive CVs out there that Celtic can be ambitious about and target.

MK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56413741

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56401797

Finally some positive speculation as opposed to some of the non-starters mentioned previously.