?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Angelo

Quote from: 6th sam on February 08, 2021, 12:52:01 PM
Much as Angelo grates a lot  of the time , with his approach , some of his arguments have value. Many of His views on Lennon's ability have proved correct. His views on players value decreasing due to biscuittinness also makes sense. Celtic always seem to have contractual conflicts with players, resulting in a disgruntled camp and quality players looking away or being pushed out. His views on Desmond not investing are also fair.  Never mind 10iar , this year has Even been a financial disaster: no CL, out of Europa early , players value plummeting , probable dip in merchandising and season tickets. The Celtic financial model was safe and worked out relatively well when Rangers were weak. Now a different approach is required as Rangers are now a threat. It's opportune that Lawell  is moving on, as more ambitious strategy is required going forward .

The lads who were too entreched in Lennon and became abusive when criticism were made will not back down here sadly.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 08, 2021, 01:05:43 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 12:45:21 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 08, 2021, 12:34:46 PM

15-20 million for christie is pure delusion.
And in case you didn't know, christie and eloi both have 22 appearances this season. Christie has 17 starts and Eloi 14. This is what you do. Throw around ridiculous statements like plates at a Greek wedding and then invent arguments when you're pulled on them.
I don't think Christie is worth that money because with don't think he is that good. That's this season or any other. And he was playing under the same chump manager last season and half of the previous one so that knocks your argument out.
Yea. I mentioned Aston Villa's CL. Can you not red. Still doesn't make them a bigger club than Everton. Next you will be telling me Nottingham forest are a big team too ffs

How is it delusion????? You seem to be utterly ignorant of what EPL clubs pay for players. I'm not throwing around ridiculous statements, Christie has had to miss games through Covid matters from being a close contact to Armstrong on international duty, from the Jullien incident and has also had injuries - when he's fit he plays. Elyonoussi - a guy Southtampton paid £16m for from the Swiss League is behind him in the pecking order, guys who have gone for bigger fees and are rated at £20m are behind him in the pecking order at international level so the only person suffering from delusion here is you.

You don't seem to have the first clue about football if truth be told.

£20m for Ollie McBurnie - not delusion - reality
£15m for Ollie Burke - not delusion - reality
£13m for Robbie Brady - not delusion - reality

Bournemouth turned down £20m for Ryan Fraser ffs.

Christie is easily worth £15-20m is he is under contract for 2-3 yrs +. Easily, the only thing that seems to be obvious is you don't have the first notion about football.

No doubt about it, a year from now Christie will be down south doing well, playing regular EPL football, scoring goals and rated at £20m + and you won't have the balls to revisit these posts.

Just like you don't have the balls to answer the question I've asked you on Edouard 6 times. Do you have bit of courage of conviction in yourself at all or do you find it easier to run away?

Will you quit and just stop embarrassing yourself.
Ridiculous statement. 65k is not epl wages. 200k is
Ridiculous statement. Aston Villa are a bigger club than Everton
Ridiculous statement. Aston Villa are a big club because they have won a CL.
That's just three off the top of my head. When you are proven wrong you come up with some excuse every time.
Taking about not answering questions, how is Christie only poor this season, due to Lennon as you said, when he has had Lennon the previous season and a half. That's a question that has actually been ducked.
Ignorant of what EPL clubs pay? Nah. Not at all but you posting what they pay for players from a league which isn't in Scotland is irrelevant. What has the question in Eddie for to do with anything? I haven't expressed an opinion on him or his worth. You're beinging it up continuously because in your head it matters. It doesn't. I've only expressed my opinion on Christie and that is he isn't very good and he isn't worth anywhere near 15-20 million. If Celtic get that for him fair play. If he goes to the EPL plays regularly and scores then fair play tk him also. It will mean I was wrong. Won't be the first time. Worn bet he last. Unlike you I can admit when I am wrong

You're just shouting like a madman when my substantiated points expose you as an idiot.

I have substantiated my points with parallels, with figures, with precedent.

All you have done is tried to shout me down without anything of substance, empty comments not expanded out. I have responded to your nonsense, I have highlighted the going rate down south for players. I have highlighted our ability to pay those wages and the upsides of doing so.

I have asked you now seven times for you to substantiate your point and can only assume that you are scared shitless of actually having to construct an argument that is anything apart from empty statements or insults which is very telling.

Just like you were wrong 4 months ago on Lennon you are wrong now but you arrogance seems to be delude you into thinking you and your Lennon loyalists can shout me down like you tried to back then.

tonto1888

Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 01:11:09 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 08, 2021, 01:05:43 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 12:45:21 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 08, 2021, 12:34:46 PM

15-20 million for christie is pure delusion.
And in case you didn't know, christie and eloi both have 22 appearances this season. Christie has 17 starts and Eloi 14. This is what you do. Throw around ridiculous statements like plates at a Greek wedding and then invent arguments when you're pulled on them.
I don't think Christie is worth that money because with don't think he is that good. That's this season or any other. And he was playing under the same chump manager last season and half of the previous one so that knocks your argument out.
Yea. I mentioned Aston Villa's CL. Can you not red. Still doesn't make them a bigger club than Everton. Next you will be telling me Nottingham forest are a big team too ffs

How is it delusion????? You seem to be utterly ignorant of what EPL clubs pay for players. I'm not throwing around ridiculous statements, Christie has had to miss games through Covid matters from being a close contact to Armstrong on international duty, from the Jullien incident and has also had injuries - when he's fit he plays. Elyonoussi - a guy Southtampton paid £16m for from the Swiss League is behind him in the pecking order, guys who have gone for bigger fees and are rated at £20m are behind him in the pecking order at international level so the only person suffering from delusion here is you.

You don't seem to have the first clue about football if truth be told.

£20m for Ollie McBurnie - not delusion - reality
£15m for Ollie Burke - not delusion - reality
£13m for Robbie Brady - not delusion - reality

Bournemouth turned down £20m for Ryan Fraser ffs.

Christie is easily worth £15-20m is he is under contract for 2-3 yrs +. Easily, the only thing that seems to be obvious is you don't have the first notion about football.

No doubt about it, a year from now Christie will be down south doing well, playing regular EPL football, scoring goals and rated at £20m + and you won't have the balls to revisit these posts.

Just like you don't have the balls to answer the question I've asked you on Edouard 6 times. Do you have bit of courage of conviction in yourself at all or do you find it easier to run away?

Will you quit and just stop embarrassing yourself.
Ridiculous statement. 65k is not epl wages. 200k is
Ridiculous statement. Aston Villa are a bigger club than Everton
Ridiculous statement. Aston Villa are a big club because they have won a CL.
That's just three off the top of my head. When you are proven wrong you come up with some excuse every time.
Taking about not answering questions, how is Christie only poor this season, due to Lennon as you said, when he has had Lennon the previous season and a half. That's a question that has actually been ducked.
Ignorant of what EPL clubs pay? Nah. Not at all but you posting what they pay for players from a league which isn't in Scotland is irrelevant. What has the question in Eddie for to do with anything? I haven't expressed an opinion on him or his worth. You're beinging it up continuously because in your head it matters. It doesn't. I've only expressed my opinion on Christie and that is he isn't very good and he isn't worth anywhere near 15-20 million. If Celtic get that for him fair play. If he goes to the EPL plays regularly and scores then fair play tk him also. It will mean I was wrong. Won't be the first time. Worn bet he last. Unlike you I can admit when I am wrong

You're just shouting like a madman when my substantiated points expose you as an idiot.

I have substantiated my points with parallels, with figures, with precedent.

All you have done is tried to shout me down without anything of substance, empty comments not expanded out. I have responded to your nonsense, I have highlighted the going rate down south for players. I have highlighted our ability to pay those wages and the upsides of doing so.

I have asked you now seven times for you to substantiate your point and can only assume that you are scared shitless of actually having to construct an argument that is anything apart from empty statements or insults which is very telling.

Just like you were wrong 4 months ago on Lennon you are wrong now but you arrogance seems to be delude you into thinking you and your Lennon loyalists can shout me down like you tried to back then.

Hahahaha. You asked me about Edouard. I never once expressed an opinion on his worth or what he should be paid. Yeah. I wanted to give Lennon a chance. I was wrong on that. I admitted that. You make some decent points but they get lost admiration the nonsense you do post.
What substantiated points? The fact you state transfer fees for English leagues? What have they got to do with anything?
Shout you down without anything of substance? I gave you facts in EPL wages. I gave you facts in Villa and Everton. You stated christie has been poor this season because of Lennon. You didn't answer why he hasn't been poor the previous  year and a half when Lennon was manager.
You switch the goalposts and make up arguments which didn't exist.

Angelo

Quote from: JimStynes on February 08, 2021, 12:54:08 PM
Someone throw in the towel for Angelo. He's getting beaten from pillar to post here.

The post above yours would seem to contradict it.

It's also ironic that you have taken to siding with a few Celtic-hating EPL diehards in a discussions that runs down Celtic as a football club. Are you even a Celtic fan?

Angelo

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 08, 2021, 01:25:30 PM

Hahahaha. You asked me about Edouard. I never once expressed an opinion on his worth or what he should be paid. Yeah. I wanted to give Lennon a chance. I was wrong on that. I admitted that. You make some decent points but they get lost admiration the nonsense you do post.
What substantiated points? The fact you state transfer fees for English leagues? What have they got to do with anything?
Shout you down without anything of substance? I gave you facts in EPL wages. I gave you facts in Villa and Everton. You stated christie has been poor this season because of Lennon. You didn't answer why he hasn't been poor the previous  year and a half when Lennon was manager.

No you didn't. You attempted to misrepresent what I said. I want to pay the best player in Scotland somewhere in and around what is an average wage in the EPL to retain him, now you have tried to conflate the debate by saying I want Celtic to pay EPL wages - not true. If I wanted Celtic to pay EPL wages I would be saying the best player in Scotland should be getting the same as the best player in England which is around 400k pw. So you should stop trying to be so disingenuous and misleading.

The reason I state transfer fees for players in England is because you said the fee for Christie is delusional. It's not delusional, it is modest when you consider that inferior players routinely go for much more than that down south, players like McBurnie going for £20m, Burke £15m, Hendrick and Brady etc, etc - there are loads more - Christie is better than loads of those so we should be trying to get his worth.

For you to say it's delusional either shows a complete ignorance on your part or just your attempts to shout down without any substance. That kind of fee for Christie is perfectly reasonable if he was under contract, you seem to want Celtic to hawk their players off for cheap. How much do you think Armstrong or Tierney would fetch now? Probably triple what Celtic got for them little in the last 2 years. Southampton got 7x what Celtic sold Van Dijk for 18 months after. We consistently lowball ourselves here to make a quick profit.

Why don't we actually try and keep these players until such time as we actually get somewhere close to what they are worth?

That's the thing you have been asked on Edouard 8 times now and your refuse to answer and the reason you refuse to answer is that it undermines everything you say there. The concept of giving Edouard an extra 2m a year adds 20m to his market value, keeps the best player in Scottish football at Celtic for the next few years but you won't comment on that yet you will say that we can't afford it or its unrealistic. The same goes for Ajer, give him an extra 1.5m on his contract a year, it puts an extra 20m on his market value and keeps the best centre half at Celtic at the club for the next few years.

But just like you did with Lennon when people make valid points you don't like you try to shout them down without offering anything whatsoever that resembles substance or logic.

tonto1888

Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 01:28:16 PM
Someone throw in the towel for Angelo. He's getting beaten from pillar to post here.

It's also ironic that you have taken to siding with a few Celtic-hating EPL diehards in a discussions that runs down Celtic as a football club. Are you even a Celtic fan?

If this is aimed at me I am certainly not running down Celtic as a football club. I believe we are a big club but we are limited by where we play. I will disagree with you about Christie but agree that Eddie and Ajer are worth the figure you quoted. I don't think you posting transfer fees for limited omayers is relevant as they are coming from English clubs and they have a self inflated opinion of themselves. Their fees are always higher. You mentioned the fees we got for Vvd, FF and tierney so you are aware of the issue. We won't get 40 million for Eddie. And we won't get close to 25for Ajer regardless of their worth. English clubs won't pay it

Angelo

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 08, 2021, 01:40:40 PM

If this is aimed at me I am certainly not running down Celtic as a football club. I believe we are a big club but we are limited by where we play. I will disagree with you about Christie but agree that Eddie and Ajer are worth the figure you quoted. I don't think you posting transfer fees for limited omayers is relevant as they are coming from English clubs and they have a self inflated opinion of themselves. Their fees are always higher. You mentioned the fees we got for Vvd, FF and tierney so you are aware of the issue. We won't get 40 million for Eddie. And we won't get close to 25for Ajer regardless of their worth. English clubs won't pay it

Jim Stynes.

Why wouldn't we get that? If English clubs want the player then they will pay for it. Look at the fees they give Championship clubs for absolute hammerthrowers.

Look at Rangers. Would you be surprised to see an English club come in and pay £25m for Kent next season? I wouldn't. You see if you are committed to holding onto a player then its up to the team to meet that fee, Rangers are committed to keeping onto their best players or at least not selling them off on the cheap.

Celtic are committed to selling their players off on the cheap. I said it at the time, £25m for Tierney was an absolute disgrace. He should not have left for a penny less than £40m. The same thing with Edouard, we should have given him a bumper contract last season and said its £40m for anyone who comes knocking.

tonto1888

Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 01:40:17 PM

No you didn't. You attempted to misrepresent what I said. I want to pay the best player in Scotland somewhere in and around what is an average wage in the EPL to retain him, now you have tried to conflate the debate by saying I want Celtic to pay EPL wages - not true. If I wanted Celtic to pay EPL wages I would be saying the best player in Scotland should be getting the same as the best player in England which is around 400k pw. So you should stop trying to be so disingenuous and misleading.

The reason I state transfer fees for players in England is because you said the fee for Christie is delusional. It's not delusional, it is modest when you consider that inferior players routinely go for much more than that down south, players like McBurnie going for £20m, Burke £15m, Hendrick and Brady etc, etc - there are loads more - Christie is better than loads of those so we should be trying to get his worth.

For you to say it's delusional either shows a complete ignorance on your part or just your attempts to shout down without any substance. That kind of fee for Christie is perfectly reasonable if he was under contract, you seem to want Celtic to hawk their players off for cheap. How much do you think Armstrong or Tierney would fetch now? Probably triple what Celtic got for them little in the last 2 years. Southampton got 7x what Celtic sold Van Dijk for 18 months after. We consistently lowball ourselves here to make a quick profit.

Why don't we actually try and keep these players until such time as we actually get somewhere close to what they are worth?

That's the thing you have been asked on Edouard 8 times now and your refuse to answer and the reason you refuse to answer is that it undermines everything you say there. The concept of giving Edouard an extra 2m a year adds 20m to his market value, keeps the best player in Scottish football at Celtic for the next few years but you won't comment on that yet you will say that we can't afford it or its unrealistic. The same goes for Ajer, give him an extra 1.5m on his contract a year, it puts an extra 20m on his market value and keeps the best centre half at Celtic at the club for the next few years.

But just like you did with Lennon when people make valid points you don't like you try to shout them down without offering anything whatsoever that resembles substance or logic.

Here you go again. Do you ever read what anyone says? I didn't misprepresent anything. You said 65k is not an EPL wage. Is it's.
I said That fee for Christie is delusional because he isn't that good. Where have I said I want Celtic to 'hawk their best players for cheap'? Where have I said I want them to sell anyone? This is another example of you making arguments up.
I refused to answer in Eddie because I wasn't arguing in Eddie ffs. What pet of that have you failed to understand?
Now are you going to explain how Christie has been poor this season because of the 'chump of a manager' when you clearly don't think he was poor the previous season and a half despite having the same 'chump of a manager'

tonto1888

Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 01:44:07 PM

Jim Stynes.

Why wouldn't we get that? If English clubs want the player then they will pay for it. Look at the fees they give Championship clubs for absolute hammerthrowers.

Look at Rangers. Would you be surprised to see an English club come in and pay £25m for Kent next season? I wouldn't. You see if you are committed to holding onto a player then its up to the team to meet that fee, Rangers are committed to keeping onto their best players or at least not selling them off on the cheap.

Celtic are committed to selling their players off on the cheap. I said it at the time, £25m for Tierney was an absolute disgrace.

My opinion of Christie's worth aside, your last sentence sums up why we won't get those fees. English clubs won't lay that for players in Scotland. They see it as a shit league with rich pickings for low fees.
And yea. I'd be surprised if someone offered that for Kent

Angelo

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 08, 2021, 01:44:19 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 01:40:17 PM

Here you go again. Do you ever read what anyone says? I didn't misprepresent anything. You said 65k is not an EPL wage. Is it's.
I said That fee for Christie is delusional because he isn't that good. Where have I said I want Celtic to 'hawk their best players for cheap'? Where have I said I want them to sell anyone? This is another example of you making arguments up.
I refused to answer in Eddie because I wasn't arguing in Eddie ffs. What pet of that have you failed to understand?
Now are you going to explain how Christie has been poor this season because of the 'chump of a manager' when you clearly don't think he was poor the previous season and a half despite having the same 'chump of a manager'

You did misrepresent what I said. I'm talking about the best player in Scotland and giving him what you term an average EPL wage. We can well afford that.

How is that fee delusional when inferior players are going for it routinely? McBurnie, Burke, Brady, Hendrick, Sam Clucas, Thomas Ince etc - you look at the fees that are thrown about down south and that fee is anything but delusional, in fact it's a bargain in comparison to some of them. Elyonoussi went for £16m so how is it delusional that we could expect a similar fee for Christie? It's not and you are ignoring all the parallels there because they defeat your argument.

Christie's performances have declined rapidly since Lennon came in, in line with every other player at the club in that time. You seem to be saying Lennon is not the problem now, are you not ashamed of trying this stunt?

Angelo

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 08, 2021, 01:45:47 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 01:44:07 PM

Jim Stynes.

Celtic are committed to selling their players off on the cheap. I said it at the time, £25m for Tierney was an absolute disgrace.

My opinion of Christie's worth aside, your last sentence sums up why we won't get those fees. English clubs won't lay that for players in Scotland. They see it as a shit league with rich pickings for low fees.
And yea. I'd be surprised if someone offered that for Kent

Well then if they won't pay they can f**k off so and that's what Celtic should be saying. The reason they won't pay it as they quite rightly see Celtic as mugs who will sell guys like Armstrong, Van Dijk, Wanyama, Tierney etc all off at a snip of what an English Championship club would demand for a similar player.

Under Lawwell Celtic have actively looked to move on their players to push up his bonus when Celtic could afford to say no to the money and keep their best players.

The other side of the city they have kept onto their best players even though they have badly needed the money. If Kent does leave Rangers it will be for whatever Rangers want for him. If Edouard leaves Celtic it will be for whatever the buying team is willing to pay. That has been the culture that has seen 10IAR go.

Louther

Was Christie not on loan at Aberdeen for most of time under Rodgers and only really played half a season for him? Has played majority of Celtic career under Lennon?

michaelg

Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 01:05:28 PM
Quote from: michaelg on February 08, 2021, 12:49:08 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 12:17:43 PM
Quote from: Louther on February 08, 2021, 12:15:10 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 12:02:15 PM
Quote from: Louther on February 08, 2021, 11:58:14 AM
Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 11:47:21 AM
Quote from: Louther on February 08, 2021, 11:26:28 AM
Celtic don't need this Donegal fella as DoF they have one here that will sort them out very quickly.

Deluded springs to mind if you think those players are worth that. Clubs don't pay that for players from the SPL, too much of a risk and in current climate as well, money not been spent.

And even the dog on the street knows that clubs have to operate in a wage structure. You pay one man £65k a week and you'll have a queue of agents down the hall looking for new contracts and any new signings looking these levels.

By all means, put contracts on table, negotiate and get them adding years to protect value but you can't risk the club on back of potential CL earnings.

I'd have no doubts that Desmond has sounded out new managers but is struggling to get the right man, interest not there at top end to manage a SPL team for 4 old firm games a year.

If they won't they pay then they shouldn't go.

They have no problem paying £40m for players from the English Championship so they should not have any problems paying that for players with European football pedigree.

You once again let your bias for beloved English Premier League cloud your judgement.

Sorry wee Man, you're all over the place, could you rewrite the first line in English, thanks.

You're triggered by criticism of your beloved EPL which you claim not to have an interest in.

You seem to have a bizarre obsession with Celtic.

Have you struggled to even figure what you tried to say yourself? Don't worry about it, reading and writing can be a challenge for some, chin up.

You don't seem to have anything to offer only inane posts when your obsession is outlined. Anglophiles like yourself have deep conflictions. So unless you have anything worthwhile to contribute that will be all.
From the man who obsesses over a British club.

Celtic are an Irish club.

You seem to have been been triggered by the anglophile comment. Is it Liverpool or Man Utd?
They may have Irish links but they are not an Irish club.  How can they be if they are based in Scotland?  As for your question, unlike you, I support a team in the country where i live!

Angelo

Quote from: Louther on February 08, 2021, 01:56:32 PM
Was Christie not on loan at Aberdeen for most of time under Rodgers and only really played half a season for him? Has played majority of Celtic career under Lennon?

Played for Celtic in Rodgers last season where he was probably our player of the season. Had done very well at Aberdeen when he was on loan there. Was MOTM in the win over RB Leipzig.

He's a very good player and one of Scotland's key men at present. He has been dreadful for Celtic this season and his performances tailed off since Lennon has taken over much like the rest of our players - McGregor, Forrest, Rogic etc

Angelo

Quote from: michaelg on February 08, 2021, 01:57:26 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 01:05:28 PM
Quote from: michaelg on February 08, 2021, 12:49:08 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 12:17:43 PM
Quote from: Louther on February 08, 2021, 12:15:10 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 12:02:15 PM
Quote from: Louther on February 08, 2021, 11:58:14 AM
Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 11:47:21 AM
Quote from: Louther on February 08, 2021, 11:26:28 AM
Celtic don't need this Donegal fella as DoF they have one here that will sort them out very quickly.

Deluded springs to mind if you think those players are worth that. Clubs don't pay that for players from the SPL, too much of a risk and in current climate as well, money not been spent.

And even the dog on the street knows that clubs have to operate in a wage structure. You pay one man £65k a week and you'll have a queue of agents down the hall looking for new contracts and any new signings looking these levels.

By all means, put contracts on table, negotiate and get them adding years to protect value but you can't risk the club on back of potential CL earnings.

I'd have no doubts that Desmond has sounded out new managers but is struggling to get the right man, interest not there at top end to manage a SPL team for 4 old firm games a year.

If they won't they pay then they shouldn't go.

They have no problem paying £40m for players from the English Championship so they should not have any problems paying that for players with European football pedigree.

You once again let your bias for beloved English Premier League cloud your judgement.

Sorry wee Man, you're all over the place, could you rewrite the first line in English, thanks.

You're triggered by criticism of your beloved EPL which you claim not to have an interest in.

You seem to have a bizarre obsession with Celtic.

Have you struggled to even figure what you tried to say yourself? Don't worry about it, reading and writing can be a challenge for some, chin up.

You don't seem to have anything to offer only inane posts when your obsession is outlined. Anglophiles like yourself have deep conflictions. So unless you have anything worthwhile to contribute that will be all.
From the man who obsesses over a British club.

Celtic are an Irish club.

You seem to have been been triggered by the anglophile comment. Is it Liverpool or Man Utd?
They may have Irish links but they are not an Irish club.  How can they be if they are based in Scotland?  As for your question, unlike you, I support a team in the country where i live!

Just because you were born in a stable, it does not make you a horse.

Is it Liverpool or Man Utd so?