?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Angelo

Quote from: dublin7 on February 08, 2021, 11:51:05 AM
Quote from: Louther on February 08, 2021, 11:26:28 AM
Celtic don't need this Donegal fella as DoF they have one here that will sort them out very quickly.

Deluded springs to mind if you think those players are worth that. Clubs don't pay that for players from the SPL, too much of a risk and in current climate as well, money not been spent.

And even the dog on the street knows that clubs have to operate in a wage structure. You pay one man £65k a week and you'll have a queue of agents down the hall looking for new contracts and any new signings looking these levels.

By all means, put contracts on table, negotiate and get them adding years to protect value but you can't risk the club on back of potential CL earnings.

I'd have no doubts that Desmond has sounded out new managers but is struggling to get the right man, interest not there at top end to manage a SPL team for 4 old firm games a year.

Leeds financial plan(if you can call it that) was based on qualifying for the champions league every year and we all know how that ended. Even if Celtic tried to go on a spending spree they can't sign the top players as they'd have no interest in moving to Scotland due to the poor quality of the SPL and low wages on offer

At the moment all Celtic can do is buy up the top Scottish players in other leagues and bring in youngsters from Europe with potential they can then sell on for a profit.

Only clubs like Chelsea, Man City and their billionaire owners are spending big on transfers at the moment so transfer fees are lower all over the world

Most clubs have billionaire owners.

Leeds financial plan was not built on qualifying for the CL, the prize money on offer then was miniscule in comparison to that and even had they qualified for it successively it would not have mattered a jot because it would not have been enough to clear the debt. They did not have a sugar daddy who was willing to put all their money in and that was the problem for them.

At the moment Celtic can continue the model of what they have done - nobody is saying we should be competing with the EPL for players - we can't and we won't.

What we can do is target the European markets - in the past we have got Wanyama from Belgium, Van Dijk from Holland, Edouard from France, Soro from Israel, Ajer from Norway, Lustig from Sweden,  Izaguirre from Honduras etc etc. We shop in those markets and get a coach who will come in and develop those players.

But we have got fleeced on transfer fees, absolutely fleeced. Was it £10m for Van Dijk, £25m for Tierney - pathetic fees and nowhere near what they are worth but that's the biscuit tin mentality.

Celtic should be getting these players on long term contracts, looking after them and only allowing them leave if EPL clubs will pay what they want.

You have to credit the ambition of Rangers in contrast, if Kent and Morelos were at Celtic they would have been gone for the bids Rangers turned down this summer and that's a club with debt to look after. That debt will be all wiped out next season with CL football.

Celtic meanwhile will be cashing in on three of their best players for derisory fees.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Quote from: Louther on February 08, 2021, 11:58:14 AM
Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 11:47:21 AM
Celtic don't need this Donegal fella as DoF they have one here that will sort them out very quickly.

Deluded springs to mind if you think those players are worth that. Clubs don't pay that for players from the SPL, too much of a risk and in current climate as well, money not been spent.

And even the dog on the street knows that clubs have to operate in a wage structure. You pay one man £65k a week and you'll have a queue of agents down the hall looking for new contracts and any new signings looking these levels.

By all means, put contracts on table, negotiate and get them adding years to protect value but you can't risk the club on back of potential CL earnings.

I'd have no doubts that Desmond has sounded out new managers but is struggling to get the right man, interest not there at top end to manage a SPL team for 4 old firm games a year.

If they won't they pay then they shouldn't go.

They have no problem paying £40m for players from the English Championship so they should not have any problems paying that for players with European football pedigree.

You once again let your bias for beloved English Premier League cloud your judgement.

Sorry wee Man, you're all over the place, could you rewrite the first line in English, thanks.

You're triggered by criticism of your beloved EPL which you claim not to have an interest in.

You seem to have a bizarre obsession with Celtic.

tonto1888

Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 10:31:53 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 08, 2021, 10:08:00 AM
You said 65k isn't EPL wages. You've just been shown it is. You throw out random statements with no proof and just want people to accept them as fact.

Yes I did. For top earners.

The equivalence is giving the best player in Scotland average EPL wages.

We can take it that you have lost the argument now as you have refused to answer a question put to you on it on four separate occasions now.

How can I lose an argument I wasn't involved in hahaha. I was not arguing Eddie's worth or how much it would take to replace him.
You said '65k is not EPL wages. 200k is'
You didn't mention top earners until I pulled you on that ridiculous statement.

tonto1888

Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 11:09:58 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on February 08, 2021, 10:56:55 AM
You said 65k isn't EPL wages. You've just been shown it is. You throw out random statements with no proof and just want people to accept them as fact.

We can take it that you have lost the argument now as you have refused to answer a question put to you on it on four separate occasions now.
Like last week when I asked you on numerous occasions how you said Villa were a big club but then the next week you said the premier league was filled full of tinpot clubs.
Celtic shouldn't pay £65k as they can't afford it and they shouldn't need to as they're all ready significantly paying more than any other club. I do agree they should be paying more for a better manager. But Dermot Desmond doesn't pay anything more from his own pocket so Celtic as a club can't pay it. Once they're in the EPL or a European league with big tv money deals then they're going to have to be sensible with their money. They've 22million in the bank. That wouldn't be long going in you were in charge. Read the report on Celtic finances! They're not as great as you think.

Villa have a history and tradition of a big club. Everton and West Hame don't.

Why can't they afford 65k? That's just a lie you are pedalling, they can afford it and I've given you a whole host of reasons they can afford it.

I'd say we will get half of what we should for Edouard, Ajer and Christie this summer

Edouard £15-20m - should be £40m
Ajer £8-10m - should be £20m
Christie £5-8m - should be £15m-20m

Why? Because we wanted to save £5-6m on wages. We now go into next season with loads of surgery to do on the squad because of the biscuit tin mentality. We have a billionaire owner, are debt free and have £20m sitting in the bank and you're telling me we can't afford to spend £5-6m extra on wages to retain our best players who at the very least will command a good fee when it comes to them being sold off.

Think of the missed CL revenue the past 3 seasons - that's around 100m in revenue the club has missed out on due to the biscuit tin mentaltity and hear you are advocating a strategy that has failed the club.

It defies belief and you guys are way out of touch with the Celtic fans on this because you feel loyal to the people who gave Lennon his chance.

Christie at 15-20 million. You really are deluded.

Villa have won the champions league once. Well the European cup. They have won the English top flight 7 times. And they have won the FA Cup 7 time. And a European super cup.

Everton have won 9 English top flight titles, 5 FA Cups and a cup winners cup. Everton were the team who probably suffered most form the European ban.

Tell me. How are Aston Villa a much bigger club than Everton?

Angelo

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 08, 2021, 12:07:59 PM

Like last week when I asked you on numerous occasions how you said Villa were a big club but then the next week you said the premier league was filled full of tinpot clubs.
Celtic shouldn't pay £65k as they can't afford it and they shouldn't need to as they're all ready significantly paying more than any other club. I do agree they should be paying more for a better manager. But Dermot Desmond doesn't pay anything more from his own pocket so Celtic as a club can't pay it. Once they're in the EPL or a European league with big tv money deals then they're going to have to be sensible with their money. They've 22million in the bank. That wouldn't be long going in you were in charge. Read the report on Celtic finances! They're not as great as you think.

Why can't they afford 65k? That's just a lie you are pedalling, they can afford it and I've given you a whole host of reasons they can afford it.

I'd say we will get half of what we should for Edouard, Ajer and Christie this summer

Why? Because we wanted to save £5-6m on wages. We now go into next season with loads of surgery to do on the squad because of the biscuit tin mentality. We have a billionaire owner, are debt free and have £20m sitting in the bank and you're telling me we can't afford to spend £5-6m extra on wages to retain our best players who at the very least will command a good fee when it comes to them being sold off.

Think of the missed CL revenue the past 3 seasons - that's around 100m in revenue the club has missed out on due to the biscuit tin mentaltity and hear you are advocating a strategy that has failed the club.

It defies belief and you guys are way out of touch with the Celtic fans on this because you feel loyal to the people who gave Lennon his chance.

Villa have won the champions league once. Well the European cup. They have won the English top flight 7 times. And they have won the FA Cup 7 time. And a European super cup.

Everton have won 9 English top flight titles, 5 FA Cups and a cup winners cup. Everton were the team who probably suffered most form the European ban.

No I'm not.

It's clear as day you view him as dud on the basis of having a bad season under the management of a chump.

Look at the English market and the Scottish national team.

If EPL clubs can pay £15m for Ollie Burke, £20m for Oliver McBurnie then Christie would be bargain of the century at £15m. Armstrong now would fetch a fee in the region of £20m, he was effectively a squad player at Celtic who was in and out of the team. If Villa sold McGinn they would be looking for north of £40m. Christie is rated ahead of Armstrong at international level, if EPL clubs are paying £10m and £13m for the likes of Robbie Brady and Jeff Hendrick from Championship clubs then Christie is worth at least that.

Southampton paid £16m for Elyonoussi who can't get in the Celtic teams ahead of Christie ffs

You seem to think Celtic should sell their players off for a song, which is strange.

Villa also have a CL in their trophy cabinet which is why they are a big team.

Once again. You refuse to answer the question and continue to ignore it as it undermines your position on not paying these players their worth.

Louther

Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 12:02:15 PM

They have no problem paying £40m for players from the English Championship so they should not have any problems paying that for players with European football pedigree.

You once again let your bias for beloved English Premier League cloud your judgement.

Sorry wee Man, you're all over the place, could you rewrite the first line in English, thanks.

You're triggered by criticism of your beloved EPL which you claim not to have an interest in.

Have you struggled to even figure what you tried to say yourself? Don't worry about it, reading and writing can be a challenge for some, chin up.

Angelo

Quote from: Louther on February 08, 2021, 12:15:10 PM

Have you struggled to even figure what you tried to say yourself? Don't worry about it, reading and writing can be a challenge for some, chin up.

You don't seem to have anything to offer only inane posts when your obsession is outlined. Anglophiles like yourself have deep conflictions. So unless you have anything worthwhile to contribute that will be all.

Louther

I'll use your logic and take it I won the argument as if you can't understand your own posts, how the hell are we meant to.

tonto1888

Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 12:14:40 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 08, 2021, 12:07:59 PM

No I'm not.

It's clear as day you view him as dud on the basis of having a bad season under the management of a chump.

Look at the English market and the Scottish national team.

If EPL clubs can pay £15m for Ollie Burke, £20m for Oliver McBurnie then Christie would be bargain of the century at £15m. Armstrong now would fetch a fee in the region of £20m, he was effectively a squad player at Celtic who was in and out of the team. If Villa sold McGinn they would be looking for north of £40m. Christie is rated ahead of Armstrong at international level, if EPL clubs are paying £10m and £13m for the likes of Robbie Brady and Jeff Hendrick from Championship clubs then Christie is worth at least that.

Southampton paid £16m for Elyonoussi who can't get in the Celtic teams ahead of Christie ffs

You seem to think Celtic should sell their players off for a song, which is strange.

Villa also have a CL in their trophy cabinet which is why they are a big team.

Once again. You refuse to answer the question and continue to ignore it as it undermines your position on not paying these players their worth.

15-20 million for christie is pure delusion.
And in case you didn't know, christie and eloi both have 22 appearances this season. Christie has 17 starts and Eloi 14. This is what you do. Throw around ridiculous statements like plates at a Greek wedding and then invent arguments when you're pulled on them.
I don't think Christie is worth that money because with don't think he is that good. That's this season or any other. And he was playing under the same chump manager last season and half of the previous one so that knocks your argument out.
Yea. I mentioned Aston Villa's CL. Can you not red. Still doesn't make them a bigger club than Everton. Next you will be telling me Nottingham forest are a big team too ffs

Angelo

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 08, 2021, 12:34:46 PM

And in case you didn't know, christie and eloi both have 22 appearances this season. Christie has 17 starts and Eloi 14. This is what you do. Throw around ridiculous statements like plates at a Greek wedding and then invent arguments when you're pulled on them.
I don't think Christie is worth that money because with don't think he is that good. That's this season or any other. And he was playing under the same chump manager last season and half of the previous one so that knocks your argument out.
Yea. I mentioned Aston Villa's CL. Can you not red. Still doesn't make them a bigger club than Everton. Next you will be telling me Nottingham forest are a big team too ffs

How is it delusion????? You seem to be utterly ignorant of what EPL clubs pay for players. I'm not throwing around ridiculous statements, Christie has had to miss games through Covid matters from being a close contact to Armstrong on international duty, from the Jullien incident and has also had injuries - when he's fit he plays. Elyonoussi - a guy Southtampton paid £16m for from the Swiss League is behind him in the pecking order, guys who have gone for bigger fees and are rated at £20m are behind him in the pecking order at international level so the only person suffering from delusion here is you.

You don't seem to have the first clue about football if truth be told.

£20m for Ollie McBurnie - not delusion - reality
£15m for Ollie Burke - not delusion - reality
£13m for Robbie Brady - not delusion - reality

Bournemouth turned down £20m for Ryan Fraser ffs.

Christie is easily worth £15-20m is he is under contract for 2-3 yrs +. Easily, the only thing that seems to be obvious is you don't have the first notion about football.

No doubt about it, a year from now Christie will be down south doing well, playing regular EPL football, scoring goals and rated at £20m + and you won't have the balls to revisit these posts.

Just like you don't have the balls to answer the question I've asked you on Edouard 6 times. Do you have bit of courage of conviction in yourself at all or do you find it easier to run away?

michaelg

Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 12:17:43 PM

You don't seem to have anything to offer only inane posts when your obsession is outlined. Anglophiles like yourself have deep conflictions. So unless you have anything worthwhile to contribute that will be all.
From the man who obsesses over a British club.

6th sam

Much as Angelo grates a lot  of the time , with his approach , some of his arguments have value. Many of His views on Lennon's ability have proved correct. His views on players value decreasing due to biscuittinness also makes sense. Celtic always seem to have contractual conflicts with players, resulting in a disgruntled camp and quality players looking away or being pushed out. His views on Desmond not investing are also fair.  Never mind 10iar , this year has Even been a financial disaster: no CL, out of Europa early , players value plummeting , probable dip in merchandising and season tickets. The Celtic financial model was safe and worked out relatively well when Rangers were weak. Now a different approach is required as Rangers are now a threat. It's opportune that Lawell  is moving on, as more ambitious strategy is required going forward .

JimStynes

Someone throw in the towel for Angelo. He's getting beaten from pillar to post here.

Angelo

Quote from: michaelg on February 08, 2021, 12:49:08 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 12:17:43 PM

From the man who obsesses over a British club.

Celtic are an Irish club.

You seem to have been been triggered by the anglophile comment. Is it Liverpool or Man Utd?

tonto1888

Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 12:45:21 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 08, 2021, 12:34:46 PM

How is it delusion????? You seem to be utterly ignorant of what EPL clubs pay for players. I'm not throwing around ridiculous statements, Christie has had to miss games through Covid matters from being a close contact to Armstrong on international duty, from the Jullien incident and has also had injuries - when he's fit he plays. Elyonoussi - a guy Southtampton paid £16m for from the Swiss League is behind him in the pecking order, guys who have gone for bigger fees and are rated at £20m are behind him in the pecking order at international level so the only person suffering from delusion here is you.

You don't seem to have the first clue about football if truth be told.

£20m for Ollie McBurnie - not delusion - reality
£15m for Ollie Burke - not delusion - reality
£13m for Robbie Brady - not delusion - reality

Bournemouth turned down £20m for Ryan Fraser ffs.

Christie is easily worth £15-20m is he is under contract for 2-3 yrs +. Easily, the only thing that seems to be obvious is you don't have the first notion about football.

No doubt about it, a year from now Christie will be down south doing well, playing regular EPL football, scoring goals and rated at £20m + and you won't have the balls to revisit these posts.

Just like you don't have the balls to answer the question I've asked you on Edouard 6 times. Do you have bit of courage of conviction in yourself at all or do you find it easier to run away?

Will you quit and just stop embarrassing yourself.
Ridiculous statement. 65k is not epl wages. 200k is
Ridiculous statement. Aston Villa are a bigger club than Everton
Ridiculous statement. Aston Villa are a big club because they have won a CL.
That's just three off the top of my head. When you are proven wrong you come up with some excuse every time.
Taking about not answering questions, how is Christie only poor this season, due to Lennon as you said, when he has had Lennon the previous season and a half. That's a question that has actually been ducked.
Ignorant of what EPL clubs pay? Nah. Not at all but you posting what they pay for players from a league which isn't in Scotland is irrelevant. What has the question in Eddie for to do with anything? I haven't expressed an opinion on him or his worth. You're beinging it up continuously because in your head it matters. It doesn't. I've only expressed my opinion on Christie and that is he isn't very good and he isn't worth anywhere near 15-20 million. If Celtic get that for him fair play. If he goes to the EPL plays regularly and scores then fair play tk him also. It will mean I was wrong. Won't be the first time. Worn bet he last. Unlike you I can admit when I am wrong