?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

general_lee

Quote from: Angelo on February 05, 2021, 01:09:09 PM
I agree, Celtic have been an embarrassment in recent years - thanks to Peter Lawwell and Neil Lennon.

The problem is you are holding up Everton as a benchmark when they have been 10x worse than Celtic.
I said they had CL ambition (which they do); are in the best league in the world (debatable but it's up there), have plenty of money (which they do) and a decent squad (which they do). I'd say if you offered any young footballer the chance to sign for either club with guaranteed first team football they'd choose Everton every time.

Rich Ricci

For a club with a much larger following than Everton, strange that Celtic have 711k twitter followers in comparison to Everton's 2.3m..

Strange that for a much bigger club, Celtic have to take Everton rejects on loan.

Angelo

Quote from: general_lee on February 05, 2021, 01:53:51 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 05, 2021, 01:09:09 PM
I agree, Celtic have been an embarrassment in recent years - thanks to Peter Lawwell and Neil Lennon.

The problem is you are holding up Everton as a benchmark when they have been 10x worse than Celtic.
I said they had CL ambition (which they do); are in the best league in the world (debatable but it's up there), have plenty of money (which they do) and a decent squad (which they do). I'd say if you offered any young footballer the chance to sign for either club with guaranteed first team football they'd choose Everton every time.

And I've said:

They have not won any silverware in close to 30 years
Do not have European football pedigree
Have a smaller fanbase than Celtic
Smaller stadium than Celtic
And their realistic ambition is a midtable finish

So other than money I cannot see the incentive to join Everton over Celtic. Money is the only reason players end up at Everton, Crystal Palace, West Ham or Southampton.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

johnnycool

Quote from: Rich Ricci on February 05, 2021, 02:12:56 PM
For a club with a much larger following than Everton, strange that Celtic have 711k twitter followers in comparison to Everton's 2.3m..

Strange that for a much bigger club, Celtic have to take Everton rejects on loan.

Kenny isn't a reject, he's a young lad starting out and was getting very limited gametime at Everton.

It is right to give him exposure to first team football albeit at a lower level.

Angelo

Quote from: Rich Ricci on February 05, 2021, 02:12:56 PM

Another EPL fanboy on the board.

The reason Celtic can't compete with Everton for players is money. Everton have forked out 50m odd on the likes of Richarlison and Sigurdsson in recent years - those players cost more than the entire Celtic first team squad. They have a number of players earning over 100k a week, a manager who signed a contract for £11.5m a year yet are still shit. They are ran by a billionaire who throws money at the club and have a debt of over £60m.

Celtic on the other hand are ran by a billionaire who hasn't put any money in the club in close to 20 years, have a CEO who openly hawks off his best players to cover for his bonus, have no debt and 22m lying in a bank account gaining interest for the boardroom and a manager only in the job because he will do what his CEO tells him to do?

As for Twitter followers - Celtic have 50k season ticket holders and a 17k waiting list for season tickets. Everton have only 30k season ticket holders.

Rich Ricci

He's 23, nearly 24. Should be coming into his best. Has had 30+ appearances for Everton so it no like he hasn't had chances and spent last season on loan at lowly Schalke.

You would think now would be the time he shouldn't be breaking into an Everton team if he ever was going to. Sounds like a reject to me.

Angelo

Quote from: Rich Ricci on February 05, 2021, 02:25:21 PM
He's 23, nearly 24. Should be coming into his best. Has had 30+ appearances for Everton so it no like he hasn't had chances and spent last season on loan at lowly Schalke.

You would think now would be the time he shouldn't be breaking into an Everton team if he ever was going to. Sounds like a reject to me.

A Celtic reject is starting left back for Liverpool.

JimStynes

Quote from: Angelo on February 05, 2021, 02:26:49 PM
Quote from: Rich Ricci on February 05, 2021, 02:25:21 PM

A Celtic reject is starting left back for Liverpool.
Celtic did well with that one

JimStynes

Quote from: Louther on February 05, 2021, 01:49:14 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 05, 2021, 01:40:12 PM
Quote from: Louther on February 05, 2021, 01:38:27 PM
Can only assume you've got embarrassed in real life this morning and you're on here playing the big fella trying to make yourself feel good again and important.  ;D ;D

you should take a break fella and talk to someone.

You seem to be a little rattled by the fact that your beloved EPL is a fallacy. I think you should be looking inward rather than projecting your insecurities.

Not at all wee man, serious entertainment of a Friday afternoon.

You're actually beyond parody at this stage.

Sure last week he was on here arguing that Villa and the likes are big clubs but not they're all tinpot clubs and Celtic are the biggest club in the world. Strange man.

Angelo

Quote from: JimStynes on February 05, 2021, 04:31:48 PM
Can only assume you've got embarrassed in real life this morning and you're on here playing the big fella trying to make yourself feel good again and important.  ;D ;D

You seem to be a little rattled by the fact that your beloved EPL is a fallacy. I think you should be looking inward rather than projecting your insecurities.

Sure last week he was on here arguing that Villa and the likes are big clubs but not they're all tinpot clubs and Celtic are the biggest club in the world. Strange man.

All I have said is that Celtic are bigger than the likes of Everton, West Ham and Crystal Palace and the sole reason players choose these teams over Celtic is the money on offer.

It seems to have upset a lot of the anglophiles on this board though.

screenexile

Quote from: Angelo on February 05, 2021, 01:08:01 PM
Quote from: screenexile on February 05, 2021, 12:57:55 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 05, 2021, 12:45:15 PM
Quote from: Louther on February 05, 2021, 12:34:15 PM
Anyone want to list the European giants who have embarrassed Celtic in the last decade?

You full of it.

Celtic have beaten Lazio twice, RB Leipzig, Lille, Anderlecht, Rennes among others in the past few years.

Everton on their last time in Europe lost 8-1 to Atalanta and 5-1 to Lyon over the two games in their group stage.

That will clearly hurt an EPL barstooler like yourself.

HUGE clubs there massive!!!

RB Leipzig were in a CL semi final last year.

Lazio are an absolutely massive club.

How the f**k are Lazio an absolutely massive club?? I can easily set out the case for Everton being the "bigger" club!!

michaelg

Quote from: Angelo on February 05, 2021, 04:42:13 PM

All I have said is that Celtic are bigger than the likes of Everton, West Ham and Crystal Palace and the sole reason players choose these teams over Celtic is the money on offer.

You do know it is a professional sport?

Angelo

Quote from: michaelg on February 06, 2021, 01:50:49 AM

I do.

But money is the only factor a player would choose a midtable EPL side over Celtic.

It's why those sides have such high wage bills.

JimStynes

Quote from: Angelo on February 06, 2021, 09:38:05 AM

I do.

But money is the only factor a player would choose a midtable EPL side over Celtic.

Playing in one of the best leagues in the world against some of the best players in the world be a huge pull as well. Celtic usually only get high profile players at the end of their careers. They'd rather spend their career playing in the best league.

Angelo

Quote from: JimStynes on February 06, 2021, 09:44:46 AM
Quote from: Angelo on February 06, 2021, 09:38:05 AM

I do.

Playing in one of the best leagues in the world against some of the best players in the world be a huge pull as well. Celtic usually only get high profile players at the end of their careers. They'd rather spend their career playing in the best league.

Why do players  need to be paid a premium if that's the case? That's where your argument falls down. Players want to win and be successful and teams like Everton and West Ham do not win trophies, do not play European football and play out mediocrity. People run down the SPL, they so from a point of ignorance. If you asked any player who played for West Ham or Everton and ask them who they thought was a bigger club between them and Celtic and which club they found the most pressure playing for - I can guarantee you very few would pick midtable EPL clubs.