62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

tonto1888

Lawell stepping down at the end of June

general_lee

marty34

Dominic Mc Kay from Scottish Rugby will be the new lad in the hotseat.

JimStynes

All the best Peter. Celtic legend  ;)

bennydorano

Celtic Football Club today announced that Chief Executive Peter Lawwell has decided to retire from his position at the end of June 2021, having held this role for the past 17 years.

Peter joined the Club as Chief Executive in 2003 and has since overseen a period of unprecedented success which has delivered 29 trophies to the Club, including 13 league titles, four domestic Trebles and participation in the last 16 of the UEFA Champions League on three occasions.

Everyone at Celtic FC would like to thank Peter for his monumental contribution to the club and to wish him the very best for the future.

JimStynes

Quote from: bennydorano on January 29, 2021, 07:58:31 AM
Celtic Football Club today announced that Chief Executive Peter Lawwell has decided to retire from his position at the end of June 2021, having held this role for the past 17 years.

Peter joined the Club as Chief Executive in 2003 and has since overseen a period of unprecedented success which has delivered 29 trophies to the Club, including 13 league titles, four domestic Trebles and participation in the last 16 of the UEFA Champions League on three occasions.

Everyone at Celtic FC would like to thank Peter for his monumental contribution to the club and to wish him the very best for the future.

His record speaks for itself

bennydorano

I've never had a big opinion about him as I've  always assumed he just does Desmond's bidding, if DD remains I'm not sure that much will change tbh (Lennon going aside).

Angelo

Lawwell destroyed 10IAR and made himself very rich as Celtic ran their playing squad down.

He is toxic and finally good to get rid of him.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Silver hill

Angelo, you've made a number of unfounded and unsubstantiated accusations against Lawwell over the past year. He's the CEO of a football club and a small shareholder. It's the age old problem in any club, should the board run it as a business and return a profit every year or should they bankrupt themselves  trying to buy league titles and overextending themselves buying players. I'm not sure if you're old enough to remember the whites and the Kelly's running Celtic into the ground in the 90s before Fergus McCann came in to rescue the club and steady the ship. We were almost gone in the same way Rangers  were in 2013. Which position would you prefer? Fans will naturally accuse the board of a lack of spend on players when leagues are not being won. You're implying that Lawwell has lined his pockets in his time at the club. Celtics turnover determines how much he's paid and if the market rate was 7-800k with bonuses then so be it. The balance sheet and league titles won during his tenure would say he has been a success. I do agree that Lennon was a poor appointment when Rodgers walked out and it should have been made clear that it was interim only until the end of that season.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on January 29, 2021, 07:59:55 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on January 29, 2021, 07:58:31 AM

His record speaks for itself

That's some record all the same
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

straightred

Like him or not Celtic have been an extremely well run club for the best part of 20 years. I'm old enough to remember the old Board and the laughing stock the club were back then. Look at the tribute act and their predecessors for examples of how not to run a club. I was frustrated at times as well with the "cheap" mentality but equally I am appreciative of how well the club has been managed financially. CEOs aren't paid to be popular and Lawwell is clearly one of the better football CEOs.
Having said all that his legacy is badly tarnished by this season and Lennon in particular. A terrible appointment from day 1 only made worse by the stubbornness of keeping him there

Milltown Row2

One season out of so many great ones and the reputations are tarnished? Expectations are very high, or the hatred of Rangers winning one title out of so many is more of a problem?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Applesisapples

Quote from: Silver hill on January 29, 2021, 08:46:27 AM
Angelo, you've made a number of unfounded and unsubstantiated accusations against Lawwell over the past year. He's the CEO of a football club and a small shareholder. It's the age old problem in any club, should the board run it as a business and return a profit every year or should they bankrupt themselves  trying to buy league titles and overextending themselves buying players. I'm not sure if you're old enough to remember the whites and the Kelly's running Celtic into the ground in the 90s before Fergus McCann came in to rescue the club and steady the ship. We were almost gone in the same way Rangers  were in 2013. Which position would you prefer? Fans will naturally accuse the board of a lack of spend on players when leagues are not being won. You're implying that Lawwell has lined his pockets in his time at the club. Celtics turnover determines how much he's paid and if the market rate was 7-800k with bonuses then so be it. The balance sheet and league titles won during his tenure would say he has been a success. I do agree that Lennon was a poor appointment when Rodgers walked out and it should have been made clear that it was interim only until the end of that season.
Don't you come on here speaking sense, it won't do :)! Well said by the way.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 29, 2021, 09:29:47 AM
One season out of so many great ones and the reputations are tarnished? Expectations are very high, or the hatred of Rangers winning one title out of so many is more of a problem?
100% Correct. Rangers were always going to bounce back, Celtic gave them a hand. But in the midst of the pandemic and the economic woes facing many not doing 10iar may be disappointing but it's not armageddon and its better for Scottish Football. They need to concentrate on claiming second spot and sorting out coaching and players for next year. I suspect Lennon is here to June as well.

Angelo

Quote from: straightred on January 29, 2021, 09:13:41 AM
Like him or not Celtic have been an extremely well run club for the best part of 20 years. I'm old enough to remember the old Board and the laughing stock the club were back then. Look at the tribute act and their predecessors for examples of how not to run a club. I was frustrated at times as well with the "cheap" mentality but equally I am appreciative of how well the club has been managed financially. CEOs aren't paid to be popular and Lawwell is clearly one of the better football CEOs.
Having said all that his legacy is badly tarnished by this season and Lennon in particular. A terrible appointment from day 1 only made worse by the stubbornness of keeping him there

Have we been an extremely well run club?

Does an extremely well run club have a season like we have had this year?

For me Lawwell has kept Celtic back for decades. There's absolutely no reason why Celtic should not be doing what clubs like Benfica, Ajax, Shakthar etc do on a European stage every year. We've been utterly pathetic in that regard.

Lawwell's tenure started in embarrassment. He arrived after Seville under Martin O'Neill - you know how much money we paid in O'Neill's squad on new players in that time? Zilch, we allowed a team get old with no investment, his most defining moment of the O'Neill era was to extend Badle's contract for another four years in order to keep him at the club at the manager's request with a stipulation Balde could leave on a free at the end of the season. Balde became the club's highest earner. What happened next - Balde decided to stay and Lawwell tried to force him out of the club. A standoff ensued, Balde was still the best defender at the club but Lawwell instructed management not to pick him and continued to try and force him out of the club with Balde eventually embarrassing Lawwell with his "you might be chief executive of Celtic but I am chief executive of Bobo Balde". After a few seasons of Caldwell and McManus embarrassing the Celtic shirt, Balde ran his contract down 4 years later having played 14 games in his final 3 seasons at Celtic Park as the club's highest earner. He went back to France and had a few solid seasons in Ligue 1 in his late 30s.

O'Neill left due to Lawwell, due to the lack of funds put forward to spend on the club. In came Strachan, a miserable cretin of a manager who played a style of football more miserable than himself, a man who filled the squad with journeyman Scottish players - McManus, Caldwell, Telfer, Hartley, Robson, McDonald - it nearly makes you shiver. Strachan was a manager who just got on with the job which suited Lawwell but I think we all remember Strachan was far from popular with the Celtic fans for his attitude, his football and his treatment of exciting players. Once again a hallmark of these years was a lack of investment in the playing squad.  We struck gold with Boruc and Nakamura in the first season but every other signing was a huge disappointment.

The disastrous appointment of Mowbray followed where we signed about 6 loanees in the January transfer window, the short termism by Lawwell once again in full view. Lennon came in the following season and the hawking off of key players continued - McGeady was pushed out the door for a record fee which we signed a load of freebies and bargain players from which turned out to be a successful transfer window. We still managed to f**k the title away that season though which brought it as, Rangers subsequently went bust the next season and Celtic went out to win 9IAR. The hallmarks of the 9IAR seasons is the continued down sizing of the club. Players were brought in and once they reached a certain market value, Lawwell bundled them into the back of van and shipped them off to whoever would pay the price. This strategy aligned with an ever growing bonus for Lawwell as Celtic's standing on the European stage began to dwindle and dwindle and dwindle.

Since Lawwell took over Celtic the following teams have made UEFA Cup/Europa League finals.

CSKA Moscow
Sporting Lisbon
Rangers
Shakthar Donetsk
Brava
Dnipro
Ajax

Celtic have actually failed to win a tie after Christmas in Europe since MON left. That is solely at the hands of Peter Lawwell. Rodgers did have ambitions at Celtic and he left because Lawwell wanted to protect the issues of his bonus. In the season Rodgers left Celtic, Lawwell earned £3.5m at the club - more than any other player or employee - that's the kind of regime he was ruining. A heinous individual and good riddance.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL