Total Members Voted: 69

sid waddell

Quote from: Angelo on January 02, 2021, 03:16:02 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 02, 2021, 03:01:39 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 02, 2021, 02:58:10 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 02, 2021, 02:53:33 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 02, 2021, 02:44:38 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 02, 2021, 02:34:50 PM
Who is going to want the job? It'll have to be some up and coming inexperienced manager like Stevie G was. Who's going to want to sign for them. A complete disaster of a season. I'm not even convinced Celtic would have held on last season as well.

That's all relative.

Celtic are a massive club historically, passionate fanbase, good facilities. They have a good revenue base that compares with other big clubs outside the top leagues like Ajax, Benfica, Porto, RB Salzburg etc - clubs who do reasonably well in Europe on a consistent basis. Celtic have a very manageable route for Champions League football on an annual basis, a good shop window for a move to the EPL.

The problem lies with Peter Lawwell, an executive utterly obsessed with lining his own pockets, a man utterly obsessed with power. As long as Lawwell remains in his position we will continue to be unambitious, we will continue to appoint a manager with little pedigree or clout to go up against him.

There is some much potential for Celtic but it's never going to be realised with Lawwell at the club, we saw how Rodgers changed the culture and standards at the club in such a short space of time. We saw how Lennon completely dismantled that culture and those standards in such a short space of time.

We can either be ambitious or not but Lawwell didn't like the fact that Rodgers was a manager with stature and pedigree and who was capable of causing a serious amount of unrest for him.

I can't see anyone as good as Brendan coming to Celtic. I can't see anyone of note coming to Celtic for a long time. All those things you are saying seem to be less important in the modern era of football. Unless Celtic get into a European league of sorts then I can't see Celtic's stature being as important as it used to be.

Really disappointing today. As it got closer to half time the more I thought it was going to be a rangers win with a goal against the run of play. Massive changes needed Celtic park. With Lennon and Lawell needing to go. What is Desmond's view on all this? Does he ever say anything? Does he just profit from the whole thing or is he a genuine Celtic fan. Surely if he's as rich as they say he could put some money into the club.

That depends on how much ambition we show.

Clubs with similar budgets to ours who don't play in the top 4/5 leagues are able to attract managers with big reputations to their club.

Celtic have the chance of winning titles every season, they have the opportunity to play European football every season, they have a 60k stadium with a season ticket waiting list, have one of the most renowned footballing rivalries in Europe. It should be an easy sell if the club are willing to invest in the manager and back him.

We got Rodgers because we pushed the boat out for him but when the push came to shove Lawwell refused to back him and he jumped ship.

I agree but Rodgers was always looking back the EPL. I don't blame him for taking the Leicester job. The other smaller leagues would still be much bigger than Scotland though. Ajax, Benfica etc all play in leagues much bigger and better than Scotland.

Rodgers wouldn't have jumped ship after 2 and a bit seasons had he been backed by the board. He wasn't and had came to the conclusion the club did not match his ambition, which you can certainly understand.

The manner in which he left do did leave a very bitter taste in the mouth of Celtic fans and in doing so he took the heat off Lawwell. Had Rodgers stuck out the season, completed the treble which looked inevitable and then left, Lawwell would have found himself under serious, serious heat from the fans.

If we want a top manager we can get him in, we pay what he requires and we back him substantially in the transfer markets, we don't keep hawking our best players for below market rates and we try build and improve the team consistently. That will attract a top manager for Celtic but Lawwell only wants a yes man who won't interfere with him lining his own pockets.
Brendan Rodgers was always out of there the first real chance he got and you can't blame him

Rodgers' ambition is to manage top clubs in the Premier League and win trophies with them and Celtic cannot provide that

Celtic are in a backwater league in Northern Europe, which has little money, they have one genuine domestic rival

If Celtic genuinely wanted to compete in the Champions League they'd have to fiddle the books

The best Celtic could ever realistically hope for is an odd qualification for the last 16 of the Champions League like under Strachan and Lennon, or a good Europa League run like under O'Neill - and even that seems miles off - the days when Celtic could attract players of Henrik Larsson's quality are long gone

The reality is Celtic have been left behind by the economics of football, a big club trapped in a joke of a league, like Red Star Belgrade or Steaua Bucharest

marty34

How does Lawell leave Celtic?

Does he get the sack?

Angelo

Quote from: sid waddell on January 02, 2021, 04:42:47 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 02, 2021, 03:16:02 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 02, 2021, 03:01:39 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 02, 2021, 02:58:10 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 02, 2021, 02:53:33 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 02, 2021, 02:44:38 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 02, 2021, 02:34:50 PM
Who is going to want the job? It'll have to be some up and coming inexperienced manager like Stevie G was. Who's going to want to sign for them. A complete disaster of a season. I'm not even convinced Celtic would have held on last season as well.

That's all relative.

Celtic are a massive club historically, passionate fanbase, good facilities. They have a good revenue base that compares with other big clubs outside the top leagues like Ajax, Benfica, Porto, RB Salzburg etc - clubs who do reasonably well in Europe on a consistent basis. Celtic have a very manageable route for Champions League football on an annual basis, a good shop window for a move to the EPL.

The problem lies with Peter Lawwell, an executive utterly obsessed with lining his own pockets, a man utterly obsessed with power. As long as Lawwell remains in his position we will continue to be unambitious, we will continue to appoint a manager with little pedigree or clout to go up against him.

There is some much potential for Celtic but it's never going to be realised with Lawwell at the club, we saw how Rodgers changed the culture and standards at the club in such a short space of time. We saw how Lennon completely dismantled that culture and those standards in such a short space of time.

We can either be ambitious or not but Lawwell didn't like the fact that Rodgers was a manager with stature and pedigree and who was capable of causing a serious amount of unrest for him.

I can't see anyone as good as Brendan coming to Celtic. I can't see anyone of note coming to Celtic for a long time. All those things you are saying seem to be less important in the modern era of football. Unless Celtic get into a European league of sorts then I can't see Celtic's stature being as important as it used to be.

Really disappointing today. As it got closer to half time the more I thought it was going to be a rangers win with a goal against the run of play. Massive changes needed Celtic park. With Lennon and Lawell needing to go. What is Desmond's view on all this? Does he ever say anything? Does he just profit from the whole thing or is he a genuine Celtic fan. Surely if he's as rich as they say he could put some money into the club.

That depends on how much ambition we show.

Clubs with similar budgets to ours who don't play in the top 4/5 leagues are able to attract managers with big reputations to their club.

Celtic have the chance of winning titles every season, they have the opportunity to play European football every season, they have a 60k stadium with a season ticket waiting list, have one of the most renowned footballing rivalries in Europe. It should be an easy sell if the club are willing to invest in the manager and back him.

We got Rodgers because we pushed the boat out for him but when the push came to shove Lawwell refused to back him and he jumped ship.

I agree but Rodgers was always looking back the EPL. I don't blame him for taking the Leicester job. The other smaller leagues would still be much bigger than Scotland though. Ajax, Benfica etc all play in leagues much bigger and better than Scotland.

Rodgers wouldn't have jumped ship after 2 and a bit seasons had he been backed by the board. He wasn't and had came to the conclusion the club did not match his ambition, which you can certainly understand.

The manner in which he left do did leave a very bitter taste in the mouth of Celtic fans and in doing so he took the heat off Lawwell. Had Rodgers stuck out the season, completed the treble which looked inevitable and then left, Lawwell would have found himself under serious, serious heat from the fans.

If we want a top manager we can get him in, we pay what he requires and we back him substantially in the transfer markets, we don't keep hawking our best players for below market rates and we try build and improve the team consistently. That will attract a top manager for Celtic but Lawwell only wants a yes man who won't interfere with him lining his own pockets.
Brendan Rodgers was always out of there the first real chance he got and you can't blame him

Rodgers' ambition is to manage top clubs in the Premier League and win trophies with them and Celtic cannot provide that

Celtic are in a backwater league in Northern Europe, which has little money, they have one genuine domestic rival

If Celtic genuinely wanted to compete in the Champions League they'd have to fiddle the books

The best Celtic could ever realistically hope for is an odd qualification for the last 16 of the Champions League like under Strachan and Lennon, or a good Europa League run like under O'Neill - and even that seems miles off - the days when Celtic could attract players of Henrik Larsson's quality are long gone

The reality is Celtic have been left behind by the economics of football, a big club trapped in a joke of a league, like Red Star Belgrade or Steaua Bucharest

Impossible to say.

What is an absolute fact though is that there was a huge fallout between him and Lawwell and it was very public. He was not backed appropriately by the board and that's why he left when he did.

I'm sure he would have had EPL clubs interested after his first season in charge and after his second season in charge so why did he wait until midway through his third? Because his relationship with the board had deteriorated, he fired a number of broadsides their way in the press. He was raging over the McGinn deal, he was not happy that Dembele was sold above his head, he was annoyed at the lack of say he was having in transfer deals.

Celtic can show ambition but refuse to. It's the exact opposite of what Rangers have done. They have consistently held onto guys like Barasic, Tavernier and Morelos. They have not tried to hawk them off at the very first chance there is interest in them. Celtic brought in a cheap yes man because Rodgers did not want a manager that went up against him and that's why Celtic have found themselves blowing 10IAR.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Quote from: marty34 on January 02, 2021, 04:58:18 PM

Does he get the sack?

Removed by the board or resign I'd expect.

The problem is the Celtic board is packed with tories.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

marty34

Quote from: Angelo on January 02, 2021, 05:06:08 PM
Quote from: marty34 on January 02, 2021, 04:58:18 PM

Does he get the sack?

Removed by the board or resign I'd expect.

The problem is the Celtic board is packed with tories.

Can't see that happening.

Also, what happened to Rogers is well known so I'm sure all the managers on the 'circuit' know the story with Lawell and the Celtic board.

Lennon has to go now. As someone else said, it's a good job last season finished early or they could have been caught.  Very lucky to win the cup a few weeks back but Lennon must never work on set pieces at training.  It's brutal.

It's unreal how much Celtic have fallen back this year.

tonto1888

Quote from: straightred on January 02, 2021, 03:04:34 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on January 02, 2021, 03:01:03 PM
Quote from: straightred on January 02, 2021, 02:45:00 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on January 02, 2021, 02:43:33 PM
Quote from: straightred on January 02, 2021, 02:32:17 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on January 02, 2021, 02:28:51 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 02, 2021, 02:24:42 PM
As for Bobby Madden.

We all know the only reason he got the gig today and he delivered.

Bitton rugby tackled the Rangers lad to stop him getting in on goal. No other Celtic defender was going to close him done. Stone wall red card. Blaming the ref for that result is delusional and clutching at straws.

Ajer was covering in the middle. It was a very marginal call at best. Dont know why he bothered tackling him though - he'd never score anyway

Ajer was never getting back in time. He's well behind the play. Bitton was stupid though. Morelos still has work to do to score. No need to do what he did.
No chance.... do you even see it. Jack had a stormer didn't he :-)

Ryan Jack had his moments, but no one said he had a stormer. Hagi made a difference in the 2nd half. Morelos is just outside the box when he's pulled down. No way he doesn't get a shot on goal so it has to be a red card. Bitton needs to gamble though and hope he misses. Even if he does score it's still 11 v 11 on the pitch.

Lennon had his team set up tight and didn't get anything wrong. It's not his fault Bitton had a brain fart, paniced and rugby tackled Morelos trying to recover from his mistake.

Duffy looks devoid of confidence and made several mistakes when he came on. No wonder he didn't start.

Delighted for Steven Gerrard. Someone in the PL or Championship will move for him in the summer. Rangers fans in our Scotland office don't expect to be able to keep him beyond this season.

FFS Ryan Jack wasn't playing. You're the one that said was a "nice footballer". After that howler how can i take anything else you say seriously?

This made me howl. Dublin7 was well abs truly had here.

Didn't see the second half as was driving to work and haven't seen the red card so won't comment on it. We played very week first half but I felt uncomfortable that we went in at half time level. Had we been even 1 up we would have went on to win.

League is completely over now

general_lee

Probably as well just losing today to avoid the hope and expectation of clawing it back over the rest of the season. Clear out needed: squad, management and board.

All said and done 9IAR and treblex4 isn't bad going to be fair.

JimStynes

Start of January and what is there left to play for? 1 cup? Disgraceful.

dublin7

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 02, 2021, 05:28:35 PM
Quote from: straightred on January 02, 2021, 03:04:34 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on January 02, 2021, 03:01:03 PM
Quote from: straightred on January 02, 2021, 02:45:00 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on January 02, 2021, 02:43:33 PM
Quote from: straightred on January 02, 2021, 02:32:17 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on January 02, 2021, 02:28:51 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 02, 2021, 02:24:42 PM
As for Bobby Madden.

We all know the only reason he got the gig today and he delivered.

Bitton rugby tackled the Rangers lad to stop him getting in on goal. No other Celtic defender was going to close him done. Stone wall red card. Blaming the ref for that result is delusional and clutching at straws.

Ajer was covering in the middle. It was a very marginal call at best. Dont know why he bothered tackling him though - he'd never score anyway

Ajer was never getting back in time. He's well behind the play. Bitton was stupid though. Morelos still has work to do to score. No need to do what he did.
No chance.... do you even see it. Jack had a stormer didn't he :-)

Ryan Jack had his moments, but no one said he had a stormer. Hagi made a difference in the 2nd half. Morelos is just outside the box when he's pulled down. No way he doesn't get a shot on goal so it has to be a red card. Bitton needs to gamble though and hope he misses. Even if he does score it's still 11 v 11 on the pitch.

Lennon had his team set up tight and didn't get anything wrong. It's not his fault Bitton had a brain fart, paniced and rugby tackled Morelos trying to recover from his mistake.

Duffy looks devoid of confidence and made several mistakes when he came on. No wonder he didn't start.

Delighted for Steven Gerrard. Someone in the PL or Championship will move for him in the summer. Rangers fans in our Scotland office don't expect to be able to keep him beyond this season.

FFS Ryan Jack wasn't playing. You're the one that said was a "nice footballer". After that howler how can i take anything else you say seriously?

This made me howl. Dublin7 was well abs truly had here.

Didn't see the second half as was driving to work and haven't seen the red card so won't comment on it. We played very week first half but I felt uncomfortable that we went in at half time level. Had we been even 1 up we would have went on to win.

League is completely over now

Ryan Kent the ex-Liverpool lad on wing is the lad I meant. I only watch the odd Scottish derby, but he's a quality winger. I've no idea if Ryan Jack is any good.

Anyway it's irrelevant. That's a piss poor Celtic side. Ajer is a nice footballing centre half, but there is no creativity in the team.

Anyone thinks Bilic or any other decent manager will go up to Scotland is in dreamland. Rodgers went to rebuild his reputation and left as soon as he got a decent offer. Only realistic option is to follow Rangers approach. Take a punt on a young manager looking to improve himself

general_lee

Quote from: dublin7 on January 02, 2021, 05:57:28 PM
Anyone thinks Bilic or any other decent manager will go up to Scotland is in dreamland. Rodgers went to rebuild his reputation and left as soon as he got a decent offer. Only realistic option is to follow Rangers approach. Take a punt on a young manager looking to improve himself
Bilic has been sacked from his last three jobs, including a stint at some Mickeymouse outfit in Saudi Arabia.

Main Street

Isn't is so that most coaches are sacked?  Bilic earned £13m  for his season's work in that Saudi league
He would be quite fortunate to get the Celtic job at this stage in his life.

illdecide

Anyway lads my view on it is as follows...Celtic played rightly until the sending off and were def the better team, Bitton was playing well too up to that even though he's a player i'm not a fan of and that hasn't changed. The fact that he's a better option at CH than Duffy says it all. Had Jullien been fit it could have all been so different...(but if your Granny had balls...). Celtic looked the hungrier and dominated and only for a fantastic save from Satin himself we would have went in 1-0 up. The second hald seemed to be going the way of the first and if i was being honest it probably would have ended up 0-0 had Bitton not been a dick.

Ref was ok and in no way was he to blame for Celtic getting beat today, it's fine lines between winning and losing and the luck didn't go our way today but the table doesn't lie and they are top because they've been the outstanding team all year. There is no way on this earth that it can be salvaged so we all expect Lennon to go or be sacked so the Board should do it now or over the next fortnight to ensure the man in charge gets a go at the transfer market and gets 5-6 months bedding in period. What a disaster of a year in every sense but we pick this year to f**k up the tiar year. Whether it's the Boards fault or Lennon's fault or someone else's the situation now is we need it fixed asap. Sad, sad day for sure. My phone never fecking stopped all day from Rangers fans i work with but TBH i'd rather listen to them hoors than some of the melts on here.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Orior

What was wrong with Christis today? In the first half he had a few shots from outside the box, which went nowhere near the goals.

Did he improve in the second half?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ned

Quote from: illdecide on January 02, 2021, 06:57:41 PM
Anyway lads my view on it is as follows...Celtic played rightly until the sending off and were def the better team, Bitton was playing well too up to that even though he's a player i'm not a fan of and that hasn't changed. The fact that he's a better option at CH than Duffy says it all. Had Jullien been fit it could have all been so different...(but if your Granny had balls...). Celtic looked the hungrier and dominated and only for a fantastic save from Satin himself we would have went in 1-0 up. The second hald seemed to be going the way of the first and if i was being honest it probably would have ended up 0-0 had Bitton not been a dick.

Ref was ok and in no way was he to blame for Celtic getting beat today, it's fine lines between winning and losing and the luck didn't go our way today but the table doesn't lie and they are top because they've been the outstanding team all year. There is no way on this earth that it can be salvaged so we all expect Lennon to go or be sacked so the Board should do it now or over the next fortnight to ensure the man in charge gets a go at the transfer market and gets 5-6 months bedding in period. What a disaster of a year in every sense but we pick this year to f**k up the tiar year. Whether it's the Boards fault or Lennon's fault or someone else's the situation now is we need it fixed asap. Sad, sad day for sure. My phone never fecking stopped all day from Rangers fans i work with but TBH i'd rather listen to them hoors than some of the melts on here.

Wouldn't agree about Madden. Should have yellow carded Morelos very early and could have even shown a red. Quite a lot of soft frees breaking up our play. Red card was probably fair enough but I doubt it would have been given at other end.
I'm heartened by the performance but we still struggle to score.

illdecide

Ned i agree about Morelos tackle tbh but other than that he didn't get us beat today. It all boils down to one stupid act of play from Bitton that cost us the game, that's it in a nutshell.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch