straightred

Quote from: dublin7 on January 02, 2021, 03:01:03 PM
Quote from: straightred on January 02, 2021, 02:45:00 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on January 02, 2021, 02:43:33 PM
Quote from: straightred on January 02, 2021, 02:32:17 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on January 02, 2021, 02:28:51 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 02, 2021, 02:24:42 PM
As for Bobby Madden.

We all know the only reason he got the gig today and he delivered.

Bitton rugby tackled the Rangers lad to stop him getting in on goal. No other Celtic defender was going to close him done. Stone wall red card. Blaming the ref for that result is delusional and clutching at straws.

Ajer was covering in the middle. It was a very marginal call at best. Dont know why he bothered tackling him though - he'd never score anyway

Ajer was never getting back in time. He's well behind the play. Bitton was stupid though. Morelos still has work to do to score. No need to do what he did.
No chance.... do you even see it. Jack had a stormer didn't he :-)

Ryan Jack had his moments, but no one said he had a stormer. Hagi made a difference in the 2nd half. Morelos is just outside the box when he's pulled down. No way he doesn't get a shot on goal so it has to be a red card. Bitton needs to gamble though and hope he misses. Even if he does score it's still 11 v 11 on the pitch.

Lennon had his team set up tight and didn't get anything wrong. It's not his fault Bitton had a brain fart, paniced and rugby tackled Morelos trying to recover from his mistake.

Duffy looks devoid of confidence and made several mistakes when he came on. No wonder he didn't start.

Delighted for Steven Gerrard. Someone in the PL or Championship will move for him in the summer. Rangers fans in our Scotland office don't expect to be able to keep him beyond this season.

FFS Ryan Jack wasn't playing. You're the one that said was a "nice footballer". After that howler how can i take anything else you say seriously?

straightred

What other league would allow an ex rangers season ticket holder referee a rangers celtic game ?

JimStynes

Quote from: straightred on January 02, 2021, 03:11:32 PM
What other league would allow an ex rangers season ticket holder referee a rangers celtic game ?

I agree it is a disgrace. My point is, it wasn't the ref who lost the game for Celtic today. It definitely wasn't and anyone who thinks that it was is seriously clutching at straws. Celtic dominated and couldn't put the ball in the back of the net. It is as simple as that. Even the goal was Celtic's own fault.

Angelo

Quote from: JimStynes on January 02, 2021, 03:01:39 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 02, 2021, 02:58:10 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 02, 2021, 02:53:33 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 02, 2021, 02:44:38 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 02, 2021, 02:34:50 PM
Who is going to want the job? It'll have to be some up and coming inexperienced manager like Stevie G was. Who's going to want to sign for them. A complete disaster of a season. I'm not even convinced Celtic would have held on last season as well.

That's all relative.

Celtic are a massive club historically, passionate fanbase, good facilities. They have a good revenue base that compares with other big clubs outside the top leagues like Ajax, Benfica, Porto, RB Salzburg etc - clubs who do reasonably well in Europe on a consistent basis. Celtic have a very manageable route for Champions League football on an annual basis, a good shop window for a move to the EPL.

The problem lies with Peter Lawwell, an executive utterly obsessed with lining his own pockets, a man utterly obsessed with power. As long as Lawwell remains in his position we will continue to be unambitious, we will continue to appoint a manager with little pedigree or clout to go up against him.

There is some much potential for Celtic but it's never going to be realised with Lawwell at the club, we saw how Rodgers changed the culture and standards at the club in such a short space of time. We saw how Lennon completely dismantled that culture and those standards in such a short space of time.

We can either be ambitious or not but Lawwell didn't like the fact that Rodgers was a manager with stature and pedigree and who was capable of causing a serious amount of unrest for him.

I can't see anyone as good as Brendan coming to Celtic. I can't see anyone of note coming to Celtic for a long time. All those things you are saying seem to be less important in the modern era of football. Unless Celtic get into a European league of sorts then I can't see Celtic's stature being as important as it used to be.

Really disappointing today. As it got closer to half time the more I thought it was going to be a rangers win with a goal against the run of play. Massive changes needed Celtic park. With Lennon and Lawell needing to go. What is Desmond's view on all this? Does he ever say anything? Does he just profit from the whole thing or is he a genuine Celtic fan. Surely if he's as rich as they say he could put some money into the club.

That depends on how much ambition we show.

Clubs with similar budgets to ours who don't play in the top 4/5 leagues are able to attract managers with big reputations to their club.

Celtic have the chance of winning titles every season, they have the opportunity to play European football every season, they have a 60k stadium with a season ticket waiting list, have one of the most renowned footballing rivalries in Europe. It should be an easy sell if the club are willing to invest in the manager and back him.

We got Rodgers because we pushed the boat out for him but when the push came to shove Lawwell refused to back him and he jumped ship.

I agree but Rodgers was always looking back the EPL. I don't blame him for taking the Leicester job. The other smaller leagues would still be much bigger than Scotland though. Ajax, Benfica etc all play in leagues much bigger and better than Scotland.

Rodgers wouldn't have jumped ship after 2 and a bit seasons had he been backed by the board. He wasn't and had came to the conclusion the club did not match his ambition, which you can certainly understand.

The manner in which he left do did leave a very bitter taste in the mouth of Celtic fans and in doing so he took the heat off Lawwell. Had Rodgers stuck out the season, completed the treble which looked inevitable and then left, Lawwell would have found himself under serious, serious heat from the fans.

If we want a top manager we can get him in, we pay what he requires and we back him substantially in the transfer markets, we don't keep hawking our best players for below market rates and we try build and improve the team consistently. That will attract a top manager for Celtic but Lawwell only wants a yes man who won't interfere with him lining his own pockets.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

sid waddell

Conspiracy theory nonsense

He is not an ex-Rangers season ticket holder

Why is it that when Celtic lose to Rangers, Celtic supporters always reach for ludicrous conspiracy nonsense?

Celtic lost fair and square and the red card was thoroughly deserved

Rangers are comfortably the better team and have been the better team in most head to head clashes going back to at least the end of 2018

straightred

Quote from: JimStynes on January 02, 2021, 03:14:51 PM

I agree it is a disgrace. My point is, it wasn't the ref who lost the game for Celtic today. It definitely wasn't and anyone who thinks that it was is seriously clutching at straws. Celtic dominated and couldn't put the ball in the back of the net. It is as simple as that. Even the goal was Celtic's own fault.

I'm very unconvinced that he would have sent one of their players off for a similar offence. Also his 1st half performance was really poor. Having said all that Celtic didn't lose the league today. They lost it the day they appointed Lennon. He was never good enough and the chickens have come home to roost. Celtic look so vulnerable from set pieces. That's coaching. Duff was a huge loss to this team.

I hate losing to them particularly when its not deserved but if speeds up Lennon's exit then at least there'll be some good to come out of this. For those that say Slippy is a good manager. He's not - he's just better than Lennon. Covid arrived just in time to save him his job

Angelo

Quote from: straightred on January 02, 2021, 03:20:24 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 02, 2021, 03:14:51 PM

I'm very unconvinced that he would have sent one of their players off for a similar offence. Also his 1st half performance was really poor. Having said all that Celtic didn't lose the league today. They lost it the day they appointed Lennon. He was never good enough and the chickens have come home to roost. Celtic look so vulnerable from set pieces. That's coaching. Duff was a huge loss to this team.

I hate losing to them particularly when its not deserved but if speeds up Lennon's exit then at least there'll be some good to come out of this. For those that say Slippy is a good manager. He's not - he's just better than Lennon. Covid arrived just in time to save him his job

No chance would he have done the same.

It's a bit like the time Dougie McDonald sent Brown off at Ibrox. He didn't even need to think about it, it was predetermined that when he had the opportunity to send a Celtic player off he would do it with both hands.

The same Dougie McDonald that lied about his decision to overturn a Celtic penalty against Dundee United.

Somethings never change.

straightred

Quote from: sid waddell on January 02, 2021, 03:18:39 PM

Why is it that when Celtic lose to Rangers, Celtic supporters always reach for ludicrous conspiracy nonsense?

Rangers are comfortably the better team and have been the better team in most head to head clashes going back to at least the end of 2018

Really? You're the first i've seen denying it.

They were in their hole the better team. All season yes but not today.

Angelo

I'd go with Jardim for the Celtic job.

Currently unemployed, has won titles in Greece and France, teams have played good football, good track record with developing players, had Monaco in the CL semi final a few years back.

rodney trotter

Slaven Bilic would be a good candidate. His spell at West Brom came to and end recently, but a good manager.

JimStynes

If that tackle was made by a Rangers player I'd be raging if he wasn't sent off. He literally grabbed him around the waste and pulled him down.

sid waddell

Quote from: straightred on January 02, 2021, 03:24:20 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on January 02, 2021, 03:18:39 PM

Really? You're the first i've seen denying it.

They were in their hole the better team. All season yes but not today.
Even Celtic fan sites admit it's bullshit

Somebody troll edited his Wikipedia page and you now have deluded Celtic supporters believing it

Rangers won fair and square today, Celtic were the better team for the first half yes but they didn't score, a Celtic player got himself sent off with a crazy tackle, Rangers scored when it mattered, that's the game, and that's winning fair and square

Applesisapples

Look blaming Bobby madden for that shit show illustrates a blinkered agenda driven analysis. that Celtic team is devoid of confidence, they have had enough chances to win but poor or slow with the shots. christie has scored the odd good curler and now thinks he's Messi. McGregor has been error prone all season. That is a shite Rangers team that has met with no resistance all season. Lennon has had his day in the sun and should go now with his double treble as his legacy. Edouard and Rogic have never impressed me. I don't think Edouard is on par with Dembele. can't see many offers, I'd break the hand of anyone offering £10m. Good for that league that Rangers seem to have won it but a wake up for the Celtic board.

Angelo

Quote from: JimStynes on January 02, 2021, 03:40:44 PM
If that tackle was made by a Rangers player I'd be raging if he wasn't sent off. He literally grabbed him around the waste and pulled him down.

But Ajer is on the cover.

That kind of tackle is a yellow card if there is a defender on the cover and Bitton doesn't make it if he knows he will get sent off.

It was a shocking piece of defending to allow Morelos on his inside but I think in that situation most defenders will make that foul due to the fact that referees will generally go with a yellow card there.

JimStynes

Quote from: Angelo on January 02, 2021, 04:20:46 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 02, 2021, 03:40:44 PM

But Ajer is on the cover.

That kind of tackle is a yellow card if there is a defender on the cover and Bitton doesn't make it if he knows he will get sent off.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree