?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

BennyCake

Quote from: Angelo on November 08, 2020, 12:05:18 PM
Lennon with his poppy on display today.

Wouldn't think that would go down too well in Lurgan. Well, the Catholic parts anyway.

illdecide

Quote from: BennyCake on November 08, 2020, 10:19:55 PM

Wouldn't think that would go down too well in Lurgan. Well, the Catholic parts anyway.

Why? Did you not know his Grandfather fought in the war
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Orior

Quote from: illdecide on November 08, 2020, 10:58:36 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 08, 2020, 10:19:55 PM

Why? Did you not know his Grandfather fought in the war

A very small fraction of poppy display is to do with the great war. I thought he wore it to deflect criticism of the poppy not being on the team jersey.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Angelo

Quote from: general_lee on November 08, 2020, 12:30:20 PM
Oh f**k me

I have an issue with a man from the nationalist community contributing to the Lee Clegg beer fund. Obviously you don't.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

general_lee

Quote from: Angelo on November 09, 2020, 10:38:45 AM
Oh f**k me

I have an issue with a man from the nationalist community contributing to the Lee Clegg beer fund. Obviously you don't.
I honestly couldn't give a f**k who does or doesn't wear a poppy to be quite honest with you.he's not the first Celtic manager to wear one, he's not the first Celtic manager from the "nationalist" community to wear one. He's not the first Celtic manager from the north to wear one!

Angelo

Quote from: general_lee on November 09, 2020, 10:50:14 AM
Oh f**k me

I honestly couldn't give a f**k who does or doesn't wear a poppy to be quite honest with you.he's not the first Celtic manager to wear one, he's not the first Celtic manager from the "nationalist" community to wear one. He's not the first Celtic manager from the north to wear one!

I don't think Celtic managers should be wearing a poppy. It's insulting to a huge proportion of the fanbase who have made this clear in the past.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Main Street

Oh f**k me

In the football world, there's no problem with chosing to wear the poppy, it's the hysteria and racist ethnic abuse directed at people who chose not to wear the poppy.

6th sam

Quote from: Main Street on November 09, 2020, 11:24:17 AM
Oh f**k me

In the football world, there's no problem with chosing to wear the poppy, it's the hysteria and racist ethnic abuse directed at people who chose not to wear the poppy.

Totally agree. I support those who wear a poppy, and so does James McClean, but how many have supported James in the face of the racist abuse he has suffered ?

thebar

Quote from: Angelo on November 09, 2020, 11:21:49 AM
Oh f**k me

I don't think Celtic managers should be wearing a poppy. It's insulting to a huge proportion of the fanbase who have made this clear in the past.

Its really not that insulating to any decent fan to be honest - live and let live - personal decision - no skin of my nose - move on.

general_lee

Quote from: Main Street on November 09, 2020, 11:24:17 AM
Oh f**k me

I think the poppy lost any sense of meaningfulness years ago. More often than not it's used to enforce nationalistic and jingoistic sentiments.I think the Roy Keanes, Paul o'connells of this world recognise that and just go along with it to avoid any controversy which is fair enough if it's something they don't feel that strong about. I don't see why Neil Lennon is any different

illdecide

I'll let you work this one out...NL was captain of N Ireland and no one had a problem with him(being a Catholic) nor batted an eyelid but the day he signed for Celtic everything changed. Why was that? He turned into the most hated man in this cesspit of a Country from bigoted f**kers and to makes things even worse there are a few so called Celtic fans that have turned on him too. Maybe he's just one of these guys people love to hate and i get that as I can think of a few people like that on the Board.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

6th sam

The poppy is a traditional remembrance symbol for British armed forces. I respect and admire those with connections or even British patriots that wear them.
However, The amount of people that wear them on TV seems to be grossly disproportionate with those that otherwise wear them. This indicates to me that there is pressure to wear it, which in my mind undermines the message promoted by those who choose to wear it without pressure. Does anyone think that Roy Keane for example , heads down to the local shop to buy his poppy , in remembrance of the British Armed Forces? Does he keep it on after he leaves the studio? This is the same "patriotic" Roy who questioned Mick McCarthy's Irishness. Of course not, more likely he was about to go on screen and  the studio floor manager says stick that on you Roy, and Roy relented.  Roy, Paul, Neil etc etc may have their own reasons for wearing it , but nobody expects them  to explain it. McClean however was castigated, even iirc by a BBC TV presenter, gave a perfectly understandable explanation, and is subjected to racist abuse. The more people who succumb to the pressure to wear it , the more isolated James McClean becomes . Sadly I've heard more English people support McClean in the media , than Irish people .
What annoys me most , is that when people support his principled stance , they are labelled as being immature and living in the past. Irish identity here , for example , is supposed to be on an equal footing with British identity, since the GFA. Therefore we have a right to challenge assimilation of Irish people into British culture, norms and expectations .
However, I think we are getting into dangerous territory if we say that Celtic managers shouldn't wear it because it insults supporters. Celtic and every other club should be promoting choice rather than expectation , with regard to poppy wearing . If a Celtic manager wears a poppy as a chosen act of remembrance then that's his choice and should insult nobody . If he bows to pressure to wear it, that's another matter entirely.
Regarding NL, he has been subjected to horrendous abuse in the past, and I think Illdecide is right in saying this is not anti-catholic as he didn't get it before joining Celtic. Like mcclean it's actually anti-Irish . Therefore NL of all people should be well aware of the variable significance of the  poppy for many.
If NL , RK, PO'C wear the poppy as a heartfelt act of remembrance or recognition, fair play to them, and it's easy for them to explain that, to clear things up. I'd like to see them do that and also support McClean's principled stance.

tonto1888

Be no issue with those guys who choose to wear the poppy for their own reasons. That includes Neil Lennon. If he was forced to wear it for some reason, then that's a different matter. The same with the pundits. If they have no choice then that isn't on. Didn't Jon snow from channel 4 refer to it as poppy fascism a few years ago? Sums it up for me

Milltown Row2

I doubt anyone would put pressure on anyone to wear a poppy, if it was the case we'd have plenty stories about it, other than the ones made up here by boarders saying he'll have pressured into wearing that'

Keane Lennon and O'Connell don't seem the type to bow to pressure.

Did O'Gara regret his attitude to the queen? Or did I read that wrong?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

6th sam

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 09, 2020, 08:34:26 PM
I doubt anyone would put pressure on anyone to wear a poppy, if it was the case we'd have plenty stories about it, other than the ones made up here by boarders saying he'll have pressured into wearing that'

Keane Lennon and O'Connell don't seem the type to bow to pressure.

Did O'Gara regret his attitude to the queen? Or did I read that wrong?

I genuinely don't get this. They weren't pressured into wearing it?
What actually happened was they went down to their local Spar and bought one and have been wearing it daily for the last 2 weeks?