62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

tonto1888

Quote from: dublin7 on September 10, 2020, 08:05:40 AM
Quote from: Chief on September 09, 2020, 11:50:08 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on September 09, 2020, 11:12:08 PM
What has former Celtic players got to do with the current team? They can't sell them twice. Of the current side only Edouard has been linked with a move away.

With clubs operating on reduced transfer budgets due to Covid 19 you would imagine they'd be looking for bargains where they hadn't done in the past yet for whatever reason clubs aren't making approaches for any of their players.

It proves that the league is, and remains, a source of talent good enough for the EPL.

As for the current Celtic side; McGregor is constantly linked with moves away to the EPL, as is Ntcham, as is Edouard, as is Ajer. Weirdly right now it looks like Celtics rouge left back is potentially away to Roma.

You obviously don't keep abreast of these things very closely - a quick google search and you'd have found links for all of the above.

Really don't. I did see Bollinger has nearly forced his way out after his trip to Spain didn't get him his transfer to a Spanish club.(he's an idiot)
I forgot about Nticham. For a lad who thinks he's too good for the SPL (that was funny when I seen it) he'd want to up his game. Problem he seems to have is motivating himself when you know your going to win easily week. Doesn't look interested some days.

So do you watch Scottish football or do you not? I'm confused

dublin7

Quote from: tonto1888 on September 10, 2020, 12:22:53 PM
What has former Celtic players got to do with the current team? They can't sell them twice. Of the current side only Edouard has been linked with a move away.

With clubs operating on reduced transfer budgets due to Covid 19 you would imagine they'd be looking for bargains where they hadn't done in the past yet for whatever reason clubs aren't making approaches for any of their players.

It proves that the league is, and remains, a source of talent good enough for the EPL.

As for the current Celtic side; McGregor is constantly linked with moves away to the EPL, as is Ntcham, as is Edouard, as is Ajer. Weirdly right now it looks like Celtics rouge left back is potentially away to Roma.

You obviously don't keep abreast of these things very closely - a quick google search and you'd have found links for all of the above.

Really don't. I did see Bollinger has nearly forced his way out after his trip to Spain didn't get him his transfer to a Spanish club.(he's an idiot)
I forgot about Nticham. For a lad who thinks he's too good for the SPL (that was funny when I seen it) he'd want to up his game. Problem he seems to have is motivating himself when you know your going to win easily week. Doesn't look interested some days.

I watch the derbies. Watching Celtic/Rangers beat any of the other teams is irrelevant. They are so superior to them in terms of budget/squad size and ability they are nothing but mismatches. Sure you might get the odd fluke win here or there, but the fact Celtic are going for a treble treble of trophy wins with one of their weakest squads compared to previous teams/years says alot about the standard of opposition in the league.

tonto1888

Quote from: dublin7 on September 10, 2020, 06:58:55 PM

I watch the derbies. Watching Celtic/Rangers beat any of the other teams is irrelevant. They are so superior to them in terms of budget/squad size and ability they are nothing but mismatches. Sure you might get the odd fluke win here or there, but the fact Celtic are going for a treble treble of trophy wins with one of their weakest squads compared to previous teams/years says alot about the standard of opposition in the league.
So you only watch the derbies yet you comment on Scottish football with authority. Makes sense then.

Angelo

Liverpool finished 33 points ahead of the 3rd place team last year.

Man City finished 26 points ahead of the 3rd player team the year before and 23 points ahead of the 3rd place team the year before that.

You really should do some research on your beloved EPL before you embarrass yourself with such nonsense.

The winning points totals in the EPL have been 99, 98, 100, 93 the past four seasons.

Disregarding last season as the league was called prematurely, the last four winning points totals for Celtic have been 87, 82, 106 and 86.

So it's clear there is one league where the smaller teams get more results against the big team and it isn't your beloved EPL.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

dublin7

Quote from: Angelo on September 11, 2020, 10:00:41 AM

Man City finished 26 points ahead of the 3rd player team the year before and 23 points ahead of the 3rd place team the year before that.

You really should do some research on your beloved EPL before you embarrass yourself with such nonsense.

The winning points totals in the EPL have been 99, 98, 100, 93 the past four seasons.

Disregarding last season as the league was called prematurely, the last four winning points totals for Celtic have been 87, 82, 106 and 86.

So it's clear there is one league where the smaller teams get more results against the big team and it isn't your beloved EPL.

when was the last time a team outside of glasgow won the league? Better again what decade? When was the team anyone apart from Celtic even won a trophy?

The best players in the world want to play in the EPL. Fraser Foster would rather compete to be Southampton's goalie in the EPL than stroll to another title in the SPL with Celtic.

shark

The Premier League has had 4 different winners in the last 5 seasons.
The Scottish League has had 4 different winners in the last 55 seasons.

Angelo

Quote from: shark on September 11, 2020, 02:28:34 PM

It has had 4 different runaway winners in the past 4 seasons, 33, 26, 23 and 15 point gaps between 1st and 3rd in the last 4 seasons.

Hardly the benchmark of league which is meant to be full of quality teams now is it?

The top six teams in England over the past decade have been the two Manchester teams, Liverpool and the three London sides (Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs). Leicester are the only team who have gatecrashed the top 4 in that time and only managed it on a singular occasion.

Outside those 6 sides, the quality of teams is distinctly average. Naive chaps like dublin7 buy into all the propaganda he is fed by The Sun but a bit of careful observation would tell you that it's not the case.

shark

Quote from: Angelo on September 11, 2020, 02:42:05 PM

It has had 4 different runaway winners in the past 4 seasons, 33, 26, 23 and 15 point gaps between 1st and 3rd in the last 4 seasons.

Hardly the benchmark of league which is meant to be full of quality teams now is it?

The top six teams in England over the past decade have been the two Manchester teams, Liverpool and the three London sides (Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs). Leicester are the only team who have gatecrashed the top 4 in that time and only managed it on a singular occasion.

Outside those 6 sides, the quality of teams is distinctly average. Naive chaps like dublin7 buy into all the propaganda he is fed by The Sun but a bit of careful observation would tell you that it's not the case.

Well yes, midtable teams are the very definition of average, in the context of their league. Bottom 6/7 teams below average. But those teams constantly change over time.
In the last 4 seasons we have seen Arsenal come 8th, Liverpool 8th, and Chelsea 10th.
We've also seen Leicester 1st, Southampton 6th, Wolves 7th, Burnley 7th. All above average finishes.
Runaway wins can happen, and they seem to be happening more frequently right across Europe in recent years. But the Premier League is an unpredictable league - when compared to many other high profile leagues.

Angelo

Quote from: shark on September 11, 2020, 03:37:38 PM
Quote from: Angelo on September 11, 2020, 02:42:05 PM

Well yes, midtable teams are the very definition of average, in the context of their league. Bottom 6/7 teams below average. But those teams constantly change over time.
In the last 4 seasons we have seen Arsenal come 8th, Liverpool 8th, and Chelsea 10th.
We've also seen Leicester 1st, Southampton 6th, Wolves 7th, Burnley 7th. All above average finishes.
Runaway wins can happen, and they seem to be happening more frequently right across Europe in recent years. But the Premier League is an unpredictable league - when compared to many other high profile leagues.

Nobody is arguing Celtic are a couple of levels off the top 6 teams in England.

But outside the top 6 teams, there is nothing there that should fear Celtic, the standard is very, very average outside of those teams. Wolves had a decent run in Europe this year but by and large the performances of clubs like Southampton, Everton, Burnley, West Ham etc in Europe has been abysmal.

The only reason a decent player would go to an Everton, West Ham or Southampton is money. They are playing for midtable mediocrity, they are playing to go through the motions, they are there solely for the pay packet and once that is in the bag then where is the motivation. You don't go to a West Ham to win trophies, you don't go to a West Ham to play European football. You go there for the money, you go there because bar the top 6/7 teams on the continent they are the only club that will stump up the transfer fee and can offer you a contract only a few other teams can.

If all things are equal in terms of money on the table, the draw of playing for teams like Benfica/Sporting/Porto/Ajax/PSV/Feyenoord/Panatinaikos/Olympiakos/Celtic/Rangers will always be bigger than playing for midtable mediocrity like West Ham or Everton.

Angelo

Quote from: dublin7 on September 11, 2020, 01:42:30 PM

when was the last time a team outside of glasgow won the league? Better again what decade? When was the team anyone apart from Celtic even won a trophy?

The best players in the world want to play in the EPL. Fraser Foster would rather compete to be Southampton's goalie in the EPL than stroll to another title in the SPL with Celtic.

That's not the point you made earlier. England has a population of 10x that of Scotland. Small domestic leagues tend to get dominated by 1/2 clubs.  Dutch/Greek/Croat/Portuguese/Belgian/Austrian/Swiss leagues have all been dominated by 2-3 clubs for decades.

Benfica and Porto have shared the last 20 Portuguese titles.
Basel, Zurich and Young Boys have shared the last 17 Swiss titles.
etc
etc

The point you seem to be labouring under and unable to make any sort of proper argument with regard to is the overall quality of the EPL. Bar the top 6 teams in it, it is jam-packed with average teams who are not really in any way superior to Celtic or Rangers.

Those teams are awash with resources though and they can attract players to sign for them on the sole basis of money. Villa signed a 25 year old English striker yesterday who has never played top flight football or been capped at any level internationally for £33m yesterday. It's insane.

Outside those top 6 sides, the quality in the EPL is very, very poor.

Roesider

Quote from: Angelo on September 11, 2020, 04:40:24 PM

Those teams are awash with resources though and they can attract players to sign for them on the sole basis of money. Villa signed a 25 year old English striker yesterday who has never played top flight football or been capped at any level internationally for £33m yesterday. It's insane.

James Rodriguez's dream as a child was to play for Everton.

Baile Brigín 2

I wouldn't even say the top 6 last season. It was a spectacularly poor league. Liverpool won at a trot yet still got fpund out in Europe. They were the only bigger side who improved. City, Arsenal, United, Chelsea and Spurs are all regressing or trying to repair. The European clubs will get hopped next year.

It happens, but anyone who thinks Celtic wouldnt be comfortably mid table knows hee haw about soccer.

The broader point is that Celtic and Rangers are far bigger clubs than most EPL sides. Give them the money Norwich  and Bournemouth get just for showing up and they will push the big boys very hard.

GiveItToTheShooters

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on September 12, 2020, 01:22:17 AM
"Got found out" ;D

Lost home and away to a yeam that got scalped in the next round