Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Applesisapples

I thought Rodgers got the selection wrong last night, Rogic and O'Connell should have started instead of McGregor and Janko. That said the penalty was not a penalty and the first goal you could attribute to Rodgers selection. The second was down to Gordon, Jako should have been buried by Gordon for being stupid enough to come charging in. They never really looked like they had the quality to create a score, both goals were gifts. Also factor in 26˚C and 65% humidity and you can see why Celtic maybe struggled physically at this stage of the season. I think Rodgers on balance is still doing ok given that he has only been there a few weeks, Neil Lennon and a worse start to his management career. We need to be realistic, even with two or three decent signings the Europa league place is where Celtic should be aiming. There is not the strength and depth in that squad to challenge for any thing more. It will take Rodgers a couple of transfer windows to get in the personnel he wants. In fairness he should be judged after Christmas. As for Tony well he's not a real fan any way so I'm past caring what drivel he posts. I'm not even sure he's the real Tony Fearon.

illdecide

Maybe it's time the MOD's gave a warning out to stop winding people up, i know he has not said anything to warrant a ban but he/she is being a nuisance.

Like i said last night, i could see early in the game where we were weak and after the last 20 mins at Celtic Park they troubled us at right back when Lustig went of injured. They certainly targeted that area last night and Janko duly obliged, Celtic def need a new right back. I know Lustig will play there when everyone is fit but he is injury prone and def need cover there as S Janko seems to out of his depth. How will Simunovic fit into the team when he's fit? will he be main centre half? and if so who will partner him? Toure or Sviatchenko? What happened O'Connell last night that he wasn't on the bench? was he injured, suspended or dropped?

My best Celtic team would be...

Gordon
Lustig
Simunovic
Sviatchenko
Tierney
Roberts
Brown
Rogic
Sinclair
??????
Griffiths

There is a position there up for grabs who depending on the system played is available, play two up front then Dembele could take it. Play 5 across the middle and take your pick from about 8 midfielders.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Longshanks

Quote from: T Fearon on August 24, 2016, 06:41:51 AM
The sad fact is we are not improving,just scraping through,luckily at that.Contrast this with immediate improvements good new managers have made at Man Utd,Man City and Chelsea.

We should have breezed through the qualifying rounds given the opposition and arrived in the group stages with confidence high and a realistic chance of being competitive.Sadly we will be cannon fodder,all due to an inept and overpaid manager

He may be in your opinion overpaid but by getting us to the champions league no matter how easy you say it was he has paid for his wages easily 10 times over.

Obviously still in the early stages and it was a frustrating game to watch, of I would have had Janko off, thought he was shocking but I would hope when everyones fit and he is a few months into his reign it would be a totally different lineup. I cannot see how you can criticise him that much this early??

Chelsea have scrapped all their results with late goals while not playing well so unsure what you are talking about there...

Every manager should be given time, I'm pretty sure Pochettino took a while to settle with his first team and start getting results ;) ;)

Kickham csc

Tony
To prevent you being embarrassed at the CL games, I am willing to take your tickets off your hands.

Let me know if your up for it. Just moved back from the states after 20 years, so looking to taste some CL games

yellowcard

A second leg defeat away from home will be long forgotten by the time the draw is made and the realisation dawns that the Celts are back in the CL group stages in against European super powers. That was vital to restore the credibility of the side and it has been mission accomplished. Rodgers has achieved the first of his 2 main targets for the season, the second being a league title. A lot will depend on the draw now as to whether Celtic can realistically expect to finish in a Europa League spot in the group. That should be the target anyway and will probably require 5 or 6 points from the group.

Last nights result was just a continuation of years and years of poor results away from home in Europe and came as no surprise. What was disappointing was the performance. Rodgers weakness is his failure to organise a defensive set up properly and this is vital when trying to put in a backs to the wall performance in Europe where you have to dog out results. This will also be required against the top 2 seeds in the group at home as Celtic will invariably have a lot less of the ball than the opposition. This requires a totally different mindset than what they are used to in Scotland. They need to find 2 different ways of playing domestically and in Europe. 

themac_23

Quote from: illdecide on August 24, 2016, 09:12:55 AM
Maybe it's time the MOD's gave a warning out to stop winding people up, i know he has not said anything to warrant a ban but he/she is being a nuisance.

Like i said last night, i could see early in the game where we were weak and after the last 20 mins at Celtic Park they troubled us at right back when Lustig went of injured. They certainly targeted that area last night and Janko duly obliged, Celtic def need a new right back. I know Lustig will play there when everyone is fit but he is injury prone and def need cover there as S Janko seems to out of his depth. How will Simunovic fit into the team when he's fit? will he be main centre half? and if so who will partner him? Toure or Sviatchenko? What happened O'Connell last night that he wasn't on the bench? was he injured, suspended or dropped?

My best Celtic team would be...

Gordon
Lustig
Simunovic
Sviatchenko
Tierney
Roberts
Brown
Rogic
Sinclair
??????
Griffiths

There is a position there up for grabs who depending on the system played is available, play two up front then Dembele could take it. Play 5 across the middle and take your pick from about 8 midfielders.

No Kolo? he's been outstanding for us so far. in fact, i think Rodgers back 4 was fine last night, Lustig and Toure played well and dealt with anything that came at them. Yeah Janko had a bad game and getting slated for it. i don't see Tierney getting the same pelters? he got a roasting last night too. i wouldn't be too hard on either as both are young and deserve some slack. Craig Gordon on the other hand was terrible, 1 penalty save doesn't make up for his brutal kicking and feeble efforts for both goals.

gaa.boy

Ronny would have been in his second season and you'd expect the team to be playing comfortably in his style by now. Rodgers has been there a few weeks, have a bit of cop on and judge the man when he's got his team together after the transfer deadline (where now he should attract a few decent signings) and had time to work with them. It doesn't taking a feckin genius to work out that Celtic will have their work cut out n the champions league, or that from time to time they will put in a bad performance. You are putting forward a pathetic argument that Celtic will not succeed under Rodgers, an argument that you will eventually win because managers will ALWAYS move on, similarly to the argument you kept putting forward that Tyrone would lose their next game, then their next game etc, eventually you'll be proved right. It's a tiresome role to play on an Internet forum and I salute your dogged determination to be that guy. But if this is going to be the game you play until Rodgers finally gets sacked, or moves on, then you are going to completely ruin any meaningful discussion about the club this season on this thread. Maybe that's your strange game, and again I salute your dogged determination to be that guy, but feck me its tiresome to read. I don't contribute often on this thread very often but I have always enjoyed reading it....not so much lately however.
[/quote]

Sums up my sentiment also. Fearon regurgitates the same nonsense over and over again, and refuses to respond to facts that contradict his petty 'opinion' (which he believes is 'gospel').
This thread has been ruined by a sad ego.

naka

tbf the board has been taken over by a few who actually don't contribute that much
I am on it over 9 years
and I only intermittently post given the amount of amadons posting.

Dire Ear

Quote from: naka on August 24, 2016, 02:22:23 PM
tbf the board has been taken over by a few who actually don't contribute that much
I am on it over 9 years
and I only intermittently post given the amount of amadons posting.
Agreed

AZOffaly

Especially those who can't spell amadán. :)

naka

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 24, 2016, 02:32:08 PM
Especially those who can't spell amadán. :)
south Armagh`s anglicised version mister ;)

Main Street

Quote from: gaa.boy on August 24, 2016, 12:11:00 PM
This thread has been ruined by a sad ego.
That gives the troll too much power.
The thread is being ruined by 'amadánites' (followers of the amadán) who persist in having social intercourse with the troll.

Main Street

The Hapoel coach pretty much highlighted that they would be probing Celtic's weakness  on their left side where they made hay last week. All being well with the team from 1st leg, the obvious back 4 was Lustig, O'Connell, Toure and Tierney. Possibly Lustig wasn't fit enough for RB duties, possibly O'Connell was injured, possibly both,  who knows? Janko's even younger than O'Connell and demonstrably a much less competent player.
Celtic scraped home in this tie, in the end  that fortuitous late 5th goal in the 1st leg was the exact difference between winning or losing.
Best player over the 2 legs was Hapoel's nr.9 (from Nigeria?), what could it cost to meet his transfer fee?

illdecide

Quote from: Main Street on August 24, 2016, 03:35:26 PM

The Hapoel coach pretty much highlighted that they would be probing Celtic's weakness  on their left side where they made hay last week. All being well with the team from 1st leg, the obvious back 4 was Lustig, O'Connell, Toure and Tierney. Possibly Lustig wasn't fit enough for RB duties, possibly O'Connell was injured, possibly both,  who knows? Janko's even younger than O'Connell and demonstrably a much less competent player.
Celtic scraped home in this tie, in the end  that fortuitous late 5th goal in the 1st leg was the exact difference between winning or losing.
Best player over the 2 legs was Hapoel's nr.9 (from Nigeria?), what could it cost to meet his transfer fee?

wouldn't disagree with that, i believe a right back, a creative midfielder and a striker is needed badly
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

T Fearon

Firstly a football fan being critical of his own club's manager is an everyday occurrence.

Secondly,when I alluded to the immediate impact good managers have made at big clubs I was not referring to David Moyes,who is like the current Celtic manager,a proven catastrophic failure at a big club,and is also no way suitable for the Celtic post.

Thirdly it is laughable to read all the experts pointing out the areas of the team which are weak,when the most glaring weakness is in the dugout.

We have landed in the group stages of the Champions League by accident rather than design and any understandable delirium should be tempered with a reality check.Our performances to date,scraping past three teams that none of us could have named a player from two months ago,gives no reason for optimism that we can live in the group stages.Personally Dundalk's Stephen Kenny would engender more confidence from me at any rate,if he was in the Celtic dugout instead of the overpaid clown who is there at present.