Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

T Fearon

Surely TNS and other Welsh league clubs ,like their Irish counterparts, "compete" in European Football every year?

Fault lies with UEFA,and their tacit promotion of England,Spain,Germany as elite leagues.It was always the same.Dundee Utd were cheated out of a place in the 1984 European Cup Final in the away leg of semi final against Roma,as were Celtic in the 1965 ECWC semi final against Liverpool.

It just shows how great Stein and the Lisbon lions were in 1967 when even a dodgy early penalty for Inter Milan still couldn't deny them victory in the European Cup Final

laoislad

Bad night all around for Rod Stewart and his big bosomed lady with a dutch accent.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

From the Bunker

Quote from: foxcommander on August 26, 2014, 10:39:34 PM
Quote from: laoislad on August 26, 2014, 10:27:39 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 26, 2014, 10:19:01 PM
In fairness justice was done and Celtic avoided allot of embarrassment in the Group stages of the Champions League. Scottish Football needs a huge overhaul. There are so many average side up North. Cities Like Dundee and Edinburgh have two half arsed clubs each. The Answer is to create new franchised clubs, but tradition, culture and a whole heap of other things would stop this. The other answer is to join the English League but does Scottish football want to lose it's identity and it's easy titles to be won and easy European places. What is the last Welsh club to win a major trophy or compete in Europe?
Swansea.

I think he means a real welsh club!!

Nah, meant Welsh clubs in the English league. Had forgot about Swansea! The comparison I was trying to show is that Clubs like Cardiff, Swansea and to a lesser extent Wrexham are swallowed up by the English League. Success come sporadically.

screenexile

The fact Rangers are gone means Celtic can do things on the cheap and still make a profit by winning the SPL.

Ones are talking about beating Barca a few years back but that was smoke and mirrors shit and a real fluke if we're all honest. Celtic had 60,000 fans and 11 limited players who worked hard and got a slippy goal from a corner and a kickout and then defended for their lives... They don't deserve to be CL level anymore... They should be straight into the Europa League if we're going to be realistic about the thing. If Rangers can get back to the level they were at it might spur Celtic on to spend a hit and half compete on the European stage but otherwise they are a long way off what is required and justice was done in them not reaching the group stage as it would have been embarrassing given how they got there and how they would have fared!

muppet

Quote from: screenexile on August 26, 2014, 11:23:17 PM
The fact Rangers are gone means Celtic can do things on the cheap and still make a profit by winning the SPL.

Ones are talking about beating Barca a few years back but that was smoke and mirrors shit and a real fluke if we're all honest. Celtic had 60,000 fans and 11 limited players who worked hard and got a slippy goal from a corner and a kickout and then defended for their lives... They don't deserve to be CL level anymore... They should be straight into the Europa League if we're going to be realistic about the thing. If Rangers can get back to the level they were at it might spur Celtic on to spend a hit and half compete on the European stage but otherwise they are a long way off what is required and justice was done in them not reaching the group stage as it would have been embarrassing given how they got there and how they would have fared!

This is a huge factor. Sometimes you are defined by your rival.

I know some people won't take this comment seriously but here is a great documentary about two guys who became massive rivals, even defining an entire sport, they were completely different and yet the same. When one stepped down, the other was completely lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSqMw8UtOvw
MWWSI 2017

deiseach

Call me old-fashioned, but Celtic deserve to be in the Champions League because they are, well, champions.

I understand where the Celtic board are coming from with their penny-pinching ways. If you have to clear three hurdles each year to reach the group stage gravy train, you're going to be tripped eventually. And if that happens after signing players even for half-decent money on three and four year contracts . . . Celtic don't have to look very far to see the consequences of such a misguided policy.

straightred

Quote from: deiseach on August 27, 2014, 09:45:00 AM
Call me old-fashioned, but Celtic deserve to be in the Champions League because they are, well, champions.

I understand where the Celtic board are coming from with their penny-pinching ways. If you have to clear three hurdles each year to reach the group stage gravy train, you're going to be tripped eventually. And if that happens after signing players even for half-decent money on three and four year contracts . . . Celtic don't have to look very far to see the consequences of such a misguided policy.

Agreed but that ship sailed a long time ago. The CL is a contradiction in itself and if anything its a European League designed to pander to the top leagues. It has created a culture that encourages celebration for coming 4th. What other sport celebrates failure like that ? The smaller countries are paid lip service in the form of a bunch of qualifying rounds which they may or may not be ready for so early in the season. Given that this is probably the worst Celtic team that I've watched since the early 90s it is clear that they aren't ready but in a months time they might have been ready. They aren't given that luxury though because the top 3 in the big leagues are parachuted straight through. That part simply isn't fair.

having said all that a run in the Europa might be a good thing. They should be able to get through their group and maybe even make a run for a 1/4 final. Here's hoping !

Milltown Row2

Quote from: straightred on August 27, 2014, 10:09:19 AM
Quote from: deiseach on August 27, 2014, 09:45:00 AM

Agreed but that ship sailed a long time ago. The CL is a contradiction in itself and if anything its a European League designed to pander to the top leagues. It has created a culture that encourages celebration for coming 4th. What other sport celebrates failure like that ? The smaller countries are paid lip service in the form of a bunch of qualifying rounds which they may or may not be ready for so early in the season. Given that this is probably the worst Celtic team that I've watched since the early 90s it is clear that they aren't ready but in a months time they might have been ready. They aren't given that luxury though because the top 3 in the big leagues are parachuted straight through. That part simply isn't fair.

having said all that a run in the Europa might be a good thing. They should be able to get through their group and maybe even make a run for a 1/4 final. Here's hoping !

Based on current form?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general

my question is why Ronny Deila was appointed. a Norwegian manager, former footballer who didn't play senior internationals. he has won a Norwegian cup and league, fantastic credentials.. :o :o

he just doesn't fit the club.

Gordan Strachan, Roy Keane, Alan Stubbs, Henrik Larsson, Johan Mjällby, etc etc etc, why could one of these guys not be appointed? Might not be many leagues and cups but what did Lenny have before he took the job on? its a total mismatch, typical of the club, who just won't spend a penny. they have made money via europe, investment is needed, management & players

Applesisapples

Hard to say this but, that was turgid stuff. You don't expect a lueCeltic team to go down like that without any sort of fight. Delia hasn't a clue...like most of the Celtic Board. No wonder Lennon jumped ship.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 27, 2014, 12:47:20 PM
Hard to say this but, that was turgid stuff. You don't expect a lueCeltic team to go down like that without any sort of fight. Delia hasn't a clue...like most of the Celtic Board. No wonder Lennon jumped ship.
Needs to stick to the cooking.

lynchbhoy

Didn't see it but sounds like it was more of the same.

Celtic need to be turned into a fast football playing side - which is what deila is trying to do. Can he do it though. I'm not sure. It's necessary as Celtic have been played off the park by too many teams in recent years- esp in Europe. Maribor and legia are recent examples!

Celtic are not defined by their rivals. They are recently defined by a lack of money - the paltry money that they get from spl. This is a business and without big bucks, Celtic will get even worse. Hate repeating myself but English league is the only solution.
As champions don't automatically qualify for CL it's no longer a big deal to stay in Scotland.

Hearts hibs or huns getting back into scots prem div will make no difference- not enough financially to change this.

dec

Celtic play in Glasgow and Glasgow is in Scotland.
The English league won't happen.
Unless the SFA, IFA, FAW and FA all fold into a UKFA which won't happen.

T Fearon

Arsenal extremely lucky to qualify tonight,Ba missed a sitter for Besiktas.When you consider the money they get maybe Celtic are not so bad after all.Still think with the size of the club and the global fan base producing decent enough income Celtic should be able to produce a decent group stage champions league team on a reasonably consistent basis.

A move to England won't be allowed,it would destroy the credibility of national leagues,and besides it would be a hell of a lot tougher to qualify for the champions league even with the TV money when up against oil sheiks etc.

ONeill

Celtic are defined by Rangers. Saying anything else is ignorant.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.