?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Main Street

Quote from: lenny on August 08, 2014, 06:19:36 PM
Quote from: Main Street on August 08, 2014, 05:43:49 PM
Quote from: lenny on August 08, 2014, 01:24:58 PM
Quote from: deiseach on August 08, 2014, 10:30:28 AM
They brought the guy on with two minutes to go when 6-1 up! <insert Picard facepalm image>

It would've been the same outcome even if he had stayed on the bench. You can't name a suspended player in your match day squad. The penalty for doing so is the opponents are awarded a 3-0 victory. They are bound to regret the 2 missed pens in the first leg now. Can't see celtic beating Maribor though. We were dreadful v legia, the worst I've seen us in Europe. At least it means we will be in the Europa league at least which should actually suit celtic better.
Are you sure about that? I remember when a suspended Shane Long  was an unused sub for Ireland  (v Wales?) in a qualifier, there was a penalty to pay for that oversight, but small in comparison to the 3-0 reverse that would have been inflicted had he come on, even for just 2 seconds.

Uefa rules are clear and they have been applied here, Celtic had no part in it. When a club fields a suspended player they forfeit the match. A forfeit means the opponents are awarded a 3-0 win. I'm almost certain that the player just has to be in the match day squad. Someone on the kerrydale street forum had looked at the rule in detail.
No doubt the source looked into the rule in detail but did he examine precedents?
I'd say if the player was an unused sub, Legia would have had a stronger case.
I have given an example of a suspended player who sat on the subs bench in Slovakia  (2 all draw) but wasn't called into action, therefore the 3 nil rule was not applied, only a fine was the penalty. In such a context (unused sub), if the excuse is good enough,  UEFA  can waiver the 3 nil scenario.

Long to pay for FAI's error
Emmet Malone

News : The Football Association of Ireland has been fined and Shane Long suspended for an extra game as a result of an administrative error that led to the Reading striker being named as a substitute for the European Championship qualifier in Slovakia when he was actually suspended for the game.

The 20 year-old didn't come on in the match which Ireland drew 2-2 but that appears to have been more a matter of luck than design with Steve Staunton and the FAI only discovering afterwards he should not have been included in the squad for the game.

Suspended players are prohibited from being on the bench and his presence there might have cost Ireland a points deduction but Uefa has apparently accepted the situation was not made clear to the FAI. At its September 20th meeting the federation's disciplinary committee, of which FAI chief executive John Delaney is a member, settled for the imposition of an undisclosed fine and extension of the player's ban instead.

Long's case is a rather complicated one as the five-match suspension was imposed as a result of his sending off and reaction to it during a competitive under-19 game early last year. He served the first part of the ban within a number of days but the manner in which the rest was to be accounted for was affected by his graduations to the Irish under-21 squad, then to the seniors.

Players suspended at one level cannot play for their country at another level in the 24 hours either side of a competitive game played by the team from which they are suspended. As the striker's ban automatically followed him to under-21 level, this means Long was free to play for the senior international team provided the under-21s did have a competitive game within a day of the game, as they did the night before the match in Slovakia when the under-21s played Portugal in Cork.

rodney trotter

Over the Bar

QuoteForster to join Southampton for £10m

Not a bad bit of business when you have £9M Craig Gordon as reserve keeper! 

stew

Quote from: Over the Bar on August 09, 2014, 12:29:30 AM

What good does it do the squad? They wont spend it on new players to strengthen the squad.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Syferus

Quote from: Over the Bar on August 09, 2014, 12:29:30 AM

Or in the real world a player so severely injured he has been out of football totally since 2012. He was a punt and little else by Celtic.

lynchbhoy

I'd actually rate zaluska higher than inj prone Gordon right now.
Zaluska has been poor enough for Celtic but pre Celtic he was the best keeper in the spl in his last season for Dundee utd before signing for Celtic

There's another very highly rated young keeper who played some pre season that also is in contention. A good keeper is required but a stronger defence more urgent - as the highly rated conceded 6 v legia ( a couple of them quite soft too)

Hope the manager gets to spend some of the funds- plus he has said he has targeted a few players he wants to bring in. So not all bad.

6 million profit on Forster not too bad. A new exp keeper for free!
That's the modern Celtic way until they get into English league!

charlieTully

muppet

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28732601

Champions League: Legia Warsaw ask Celtic for one-off tie

Legia Warsaw have issued an open letter to Celtic requesting a one-off match to decide which side should progress to the Champions League play-off round.

At the time of writing Celtic has not responded.

In another development, Football Association of Ireland President, John Delaney, has offered to play Legia Warsaw in a one-off tie to determine if the Republic of Ireland should go to the 2010 World Cup Finals in South Africa. The Republic were famously denied when France 'scored' after a deliberate handball by former BBC pundit, Thierry Handball Henry.

FIFA have not officially commented on the proposal, although a we'll placed source said 'I have never heard such arse in my life, do theses c*nts ever wise up?'.
MWWSI 2017

Itchy

Celtic were piss poor and should offer a replay and not hide behind the rules.

SHEEDY

celtic should have been the ones to offer a replay.
nil satis nisi optimum

Syferus

Over the Bar

Ridiculous decision but it's not as if Celtic lodged a complaint, UEFA acted unprompted AFAIK.

The starting point in any situation such as this needs to be "Did the club gain, or seek to gain, any advantage?"  If the answer is no then the result should stand regardless of a rule break.

general

Gordon is a top class keeper, even if he is Hearts through and through. While he has had major injury problems for the last 2/3 seasons there is no doubt about his quality and if Celtic could manage to get him fit and manage him properly he could prove a shrewd signing.

I read today on sky sports that celtic are in talks about a loan move for Tonev of Aston Villa. Don't know much about him but IMO if he can't get a game for villa then why should celtic consider. If it was a possibility I would like to see Kevin Doyle at celtic. Think he has more or less been told to find a club by Wolves

straightred

Quote from: SHEEDY on August 10, 2014, 06:58:50 PM
celtic should have been the ones to offer a replay.

Eh ? Celtic aren't the lawmakers and the chances are that if they did something like this then they'd end up getting punished themselves. This has absolutely nothing to do with Celtic and legia are acting like kids. They messed up and were awarded a 0-3 result which ended up putting them out. UEFA will not want any precedents to be set - they administer the rules and not the clubs.

general

I know it wasn't an ineligible player but I don't think France offered us a replay? Still haven't forgot that too.

At the end of the day, it was uefa's decision, can't see them changing it now!

Take what ya get