62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Applesisapples

Quote from: illdecide on July 31, 2014, 12:26:49 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on July 31, 2014, 12:00:54 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on July 30, 2014, 10:50:47 PM
Tonight showed why Lennon left.Not impossible to turn this around,not as bad as Artemedia in 05 which was nearly turned around.What is to be done? Even if they could persuade big name players to come,they can't afford the fees or wages,through no fault of their own.

Shame is that FIFA and UEFA have allowed legendary clubs like Celtic,Benfica,Ajax,Anderlecht to whither and practically die.
Tony I disagree, Celtic's woes are of the boards making, they have a world wide fan base that most outside of the top 5 or 6 European teams would kill for. They are guaranteed a tilt at the CL every year. They could afford to build a squad that would reach the last 16 each year and reap the financial rewards. Then there is the image and merchandising money that good players gerarate. Who outside of their small native homelands would want Pukki or Stokes on a shirt.

I disagree Apples, if Celtic pay big money for big players and pay top wages that does not guarantee you anything and automatic qualification is by far a certainty. Two years in a row of non qualification would be enough to put them under...I do agree that the board can def do a bit more than they're doing but they do have to be careful. I think the got about 2 million last year from TV rights, the bottom teams in the English Premiership expect about 80 million this year from TV rights...there's the difference
Christ I'm not suggesting spending big on big names, but modestly on a bit of quality on players with a little more marketability.

lynchbhoy

Celtic will continue on a downward spiral until they get into English premier league - as Dermot desmond has been crusading for past 10 years+ - or they end up in an annual muck fight with all the scots minnows

T Fearon

I see Lennon is commenting today, obviously a sign of his frustration. But what can the club really do given the circumstances beyond their control? Top players won't come to Scotland even if the money to buy and pay them was available.Neither can I see Celtic or Rangers being admitted to the English Premiership as Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

It's up to FIFA and UEFA to step in and prevent the cash cow being milked dry by England, Spain and to a lesser extent Germany and Italy.

Orior

Quote from: T Fearon on July 31, 2014, 04:29:54 PM
I see Lennon is commenting today, obviously a sign of his frustration. But what can the club really do given the circumstances beyond their control? Top players won't come to Scotland even if the money to buy and pay them was available.Neither can I see Celtic or Rangers being admitted to the English Premiership as Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

It's up to FIFA and UEFA to step in and prevent the cash cow being milked dry by England, Spain and to a lesser extent Germany and Italy.

But if Cardiff and Swansea can do it, then why cant Celtic? Couldn't they just do a straight swap with Berwick?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

T Fearon

Cardiff and Swansea have been in the English league for decades (Cardiff were in the 1927 FA Cup Final), presumably the Welsh FA didn't even exist when these two were admitted into the English FA.

Fact is that no modern day club is going to be allowed to switch jurisdiction for no good reason otherwise it would make a completely mockery of all leagues.

The answer lies with a fairer and wider distribution of tv monies

charlieTully

Quote from: T Fearon on July 31, 2014, 05:59:40 PM
Cardiff and Swansea have been in the English league for decades (Cardiff were in the 1927 FA Cup Final), presumably the Welsh FA didn't even exist when these two were admitted into the English FA.

Fact is that no modern day club is going to be allowed to switch jurisdiction for no good reason otherwise it would make a completely mockery of all leagues.

The answer lies with a fairer and wider distribution of tv monies

Biggest mistake the SPL ever made was going with Setanta, its been downhill ever since. The board have to accept responsbility for last night, as someone posted in kerrydale street, Can we send Deila and Berget back to Poundland for a refund?
On last nights performance the league might not be just the formality people think.

T Fearon

Honestly don't know what the answer is.After what happened Rangers,money will not be gambled.Indeed if Desmond made £100m was made available for players tomorrow,who of proven genuine Champions League pedigree would come to Celtic or to play in Scotland?

Needs to be a fundamental change to football financing across the globe to create a level playing field

foxcommander

Quote from: T Fearon on July 31, 2014, 09:23:11 PM
Honestly don't know what the answer is.After what happened Rangers,money will not be gambled.Indeed if Desmond made £100m was made available for players tomorrow,who of proven genuine Champions League pedigree would come to Celtic or to play in Scotland?

Needs to be a fundamental change to football financing across the globe to create a level playing field

I get laughed at when I mention this. Over the next decade there will be about 12 teams in europe that can win the CL. Athletico were a fluke last year to get to the final and they've been dismantled by the richer clubs over the summer picking at their carcass. Even if they have won it they still would have sold all their players.

Look at Southampton. If they were rich enough they could have been challenging next season. At this rate they might get relegated next year.

The old joy of football was that it was unpredictable and that on any given day your team might just upset the opposition. Now these guys get plenty of chances (CL groups) if they do slip to rectify.

Fukcing pointless. No more dreaming of glory and thats why you have hoardes of Chelsea fans these days. Doubt they were around when Dixon and Speedie were their top players.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Minder

Quote from: foxcommander on July 31, 2014, 09:58:45 PM

I get laughed at when I mention this. Over the next decade there will be about 12 teams in europe that can win the CL. Athletico were a fluke last year to get to the final and they've been dismantled by the richer clubs over the summer picking at their carcass. Even if they have won it they still would have sold all their players.

Look at Southampton. If they were rich enough they could have been challenging next season. At this rate they might get relegated next year.

The old joy of football was that it was unpredictable and that on any given day your team might just upset the opposition. Now these guys get plenty of chances (CL groups) if they do slip to rectify.

Fukcing pointless. No more dreaming of glory and thats why you have hoardes of Chelsea fans these days. Doubt they were around when Dixon and Speedie were their top players.

If it was a fluke why have the best players been bought by the richer clubs? And they won the Spanish league with a wage bill similar to that of Stoke, hardly a team of mugs. With a good manager, a good youth setup, scouting you can be successful.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

rodney trotter

Atletico kept hold of Koke, probaly their most important player. They have added Mandzukic a decent replacement for Diego Costa and Antoine Griezmann. They will add a few more no doubt, should be strong again this year despite the losses from last season.

foxcommander

Quote from: Minder on July 31, 2014, 10:02:55 PM

If it was a fluke why have the best players been bought by the richer clubs? And they won the Spanish league with a wage bill similar to that of Stoke, hardly a team of mugs. With a good manager, a good youth setup, scouting you can be successful.

Is this all you picked up on from my post?
I'm trying to say that as soon as a team is successful they get picked apart. Athletico might be able to join the upper echelons if they spend wisely and replace their good players with good players. It was a fluke from the point of view that they had enough good players at the same time to challenge the bigwigs. Porto ditto back in the early 2000's (boo!)

Who's southampton going to attract now their best players are sold off?

Syferus

Quote from: foxcommander on July 31, 2014, 10:16:05 PM

I'm trying to say that as soon as a team is successful they get picked apart. Athletico might be able to join the upper echelons if they spend wisely and replace their good players with good players. It was a fluke from the point of view that they had enough good players at the same time to challenge the bigwigs. Porto ditto back in the early 2000's (boo!)

Almost all of Southampton's recent success has been driven by their world class youth academy so that's a bit of a moot point, they weren't 'attracting' players to begin with.

lynchbhoy

I understand and kind of agree with the gist of what foxcommander says.
There is a top tier of clubs with money and financial clout that will remain at the top.
clubs like athletico Madrid, porto, villareal,sevilla, deport la coruna etc over the past couple of decades have been more or less one/two season wonders due to a perfect alignment of good manager/tactics/players.
None of these seem to last for too long as the clubs don't have the clout the big boys do

Southampton are a great football school for youth and bring in lads from all around England - the cream, but they still buy a lot in as well - eg the celtic players such as Boruc, wanyama, hooiveld etc

players want to join celtic to be in the shop window.
players want to get to English premier league, la liga, siere a, budesliga as there is huge kudos attached to those leagues and there is a bigger pay packet.

Celtic will continue to dwindle until and if they get into English league.
This might have been a realistic chance a few years ago when epl was stale and boring and dominated by man u - plus almost all games were boring as hell. sky were bringing up the idea of bringing in celtic and rangers to boost things again.

Now with man u no longer dominant and the big teams like man city, Chelsea, man u and arsenal vying for the title, then next level of clubs like Liverpool, everton, spurs etc looking to break into the top 4 - then several others trying to break into the second tier group- its more competitive and interesting again.
thus sky are happy and advertising/revenue and interest are all back up - so Celtic are no longer needed.
So unless the Celts buy a failing English div club, or request permission to get a team into lower non league group - and work their way up- then I fear that this will be a long term slow death of one of the biggest and one of the best supported teams on the planet.

without financial backing, athletico will join the ranks of the one hit wonders and without money , Celtic are fcuked too - but in a worse way!

foxcommander

Quote from: Syferus on July 31, 2014, 11:41:00 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on July 31, 2014, 10:16:05 PM

Almost all of Southampton's recent success has been driven by their world class youth academy so that's a bit of a moot point, they weren't 'attracting' players to begin with.

They must have a hell of an academy if they are going to replace all the stars they sold this summer with these new kids.

rodney trotter

Koeman is an experienced manager he will be able to replace those players. He has a nice budget to work with too. They have more quality coming through in the academy aswell.