Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

screenmachine

I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

AFS

I can understand Celtic's Irish fans longing for a move to the EPL, but what is the feeling among the club's Scottish supporters? I can imagine there'd be some discontent over the idea of abandoning their country and possibly damaging their national team in the process.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: AFS on August 26, 2011, 12:39:12 PM
I can understand Celtic's Irish fans longing for a move to the EPL, but what is the feeling among the club's Scottish supporters? I can imagine there'd be some discontent over the idea of abandoning their country and possibly damaging their national team in the process.
while it used to be ALL, then most, now somewhere between half and three quarters of Celtic fans dont really care about Scotlands national side.
Most wouldnt support any, others mostly scots fans or fans of Ireland.
Really most of them just support Celtic and thats that. Plus anyone who play against England !
thats my experience with them.

AFS

Would Rangers fans be similiarly indifferent to the national side? If Celtic supporters genuinely aren't bothered about Scotland, then national titles most hold very little value (other than winning a bit of bragging rights over Rangers). With this in mind, I don't see why Celtic haven't made a serious effort to jump ship years ago.

Pat Mustard

Quote from: Pat Mustard on August 26, 2011, 12:29:16 PM
Quote from: screenmachine on August 26, 2011, 12:26:51 PM
Quote from: Club Rossa on August 26, 2011, 10:57:37 AM
Screenmachine,you ridicule people for going to support their team.Are the people who watch Ballinascreen every week lunatics saying that you have went 37 years with no county title?
It's called backing your team.

I was implying that people who travel in there thousands from here every week are lunatics.  I can't see how you can make a comparison with someone who has to get a bus, ferry/plane and then another bus to watch a crap match with someone who maybe has to travel an average of about two miles to watch a club GAA match.  A comparison on your scale would be busloads of people from Ballinascreen travelling to Wexford, for example, for a division three football match every week.  If this was the case then yes, I would be calling these people lunatics as well.

At the end of the day, there has been plenty of teams from lower leagues who have made it into the Premier League and had further investment, etc. and not made that big an impact.  For any team to have real success and attract the best players they would need to be playing Champions League football.  If Celtic/Rangers were to be parachuted into the Premiership, who would they replace in the top four out of currently Man United, Man City, Chelsea or Arsenal and with a host of other clubs hot on their heels.  And before somebody comes back with, 'Celtic would have more money and could buy better players...'.  Who are they going to attract to compete with players at the big clubs in England.  Surely if these players are any use they will already be at a better club than Celtic/Rangers and will have no interest in joining.

This imaginary money scenario is all theoretical stuff anyway.  Let's deal with the facts...Celtic and Rangers are shite.  All the imaginary money in the world won't change that...
Simpleton.
I'll humour you, and try to explain in simpleton's terms.

You obviously don't understand "supporting" a team. If you truly support a team, then yes, you would go to Wexford to watch a division 3 match. Most Celtic fans are lucky enough to have been brought up with success at some stage, which I suppose helps. Others do it simply because they love the club. I guess in Ballinascreen they don't know much about success, but I'm sure there are some who go to Ballinascreen and Derry games in freezing cold temperatures because they are proud supporters.
Are there? Because it seems to me any team who've had major investment and managed it have done ok out of it. See Man City, and Chelsea for example. I'm not even sure what your next point is about them being at better clubs if they are any use. You are just waffling dung.
Yes, yes they are. So are Ballinascreen. So are Derry. So are many other club teams in soccer and Gaelic worldwide. What's your point?

screenmachine

In fairness, it's probably better to be quite successful in a poor league than to move into a better league and be a mid table team (at best). The fan base would start to dwindle away after a few seasons of mediocrity and no European football.
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Forever Green

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14679531.stm

What do you`s think of this? Tbh we deserve to be out and it would be embarrassing to go through this route.

I have calmed down since last night and realised that my comments for Lenny to be sacked were going a bit far but he needs to quickly learn from mistakes like these and continue to develop as a manger. I have still faith that we that we are going to have a clean sweep of titles in Scotland ;D

Pat Mustard

Quote from: AFS on August 26, 2011, 01:03:16 PM
Would Rangers fans be similiarly indifferent to the national side? If Celtic supporters genuinely aren't bothered about Scotland, then national titles most hold very little value (other than winning a bit of bragging rights over Rangers). With this in mind, I don't see why Celtic haven't made a serious effort to jump ship years ago.
There's a huge difference between not caring about the national side and not caring about the league. Scottish Rangers fans wouldn't be as indifferent to the national side, although there's still a fair few of them who don't give a toss about Scotland.
The bragging rights has generally been enough, plus I think most realise the upheaval required of possibly going through the lower divisions etc. Celtic wouldn't survive without Rangers and vice versa, IMO.

Pat Mustard

Quote from: Forever Green on August 26, 2011, 01:22:51 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14679531.stm

What do you`s think of this? Tbh we deserve to be out and it would be embarrassing to go through this route.

I have calmed down since last night and realised that my comments for Lenny to be sacked were going a bit far but he needs to quickly learn from mistakes like these and continue to develop as a manger. I have still faith that we that we are going to have a clean sweep of titles in Scotland ;D
Embarassing or not, I'd take it. Money is money. It's a tough group we'd get, we'd have been in Pot 2 as opposed to 4 if we'd been in the draw.

Lenny needs to get rid of his fixation with Samaras as well as telling Majstorovic to gtf. Cha can't play big games either.

Forever Green

O dear Jesus. This is our group if Sion are thrown out

Athletico Madrid
Rennes
Udinese

Tbh I would be happy enough with Sion going through. f**k that :D

Armaghgeddon

Celtic and Rangers wont move. They would have to give up European Football...kiss goodbye to their success. They would at best achieve mid table status.

Pat Mustard

I disagree. The board would move in a second (big bucks) and the opinion of the Celtic support is moving at the minute towards leaving the SPL after Lennon's treatment and many more incidents over the last few years.

EC Unique

Would it be fair to move them into the Premiership? Surley the Championship would be the place to start them.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: AFS on August 26, 2011, 01:03:16 PM
Celtic fans see the title as winning the league. The question of whether it is a national title or not doesnt matter or come into the quation.
Its winning the league that they have entered into.
That they beat their rivals rangers all times or most times in a season is almost as good as winning the title to a lot of them.

Ever since Dermot Desmond bought shares in Celtic in 1994 IIRC he has been trying to get Celtic into the EPL.
the problem is that the EPL wont admit Celtic because the epl clubs majority vote against this.
It will change if they are in financial trouble, but that might never happen.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Pat Mustard on August 26, 2011, 01:26:04 PM
There's a huge difference between not caring about the national side and not caring about the league. Scottish Rangers fans wouldn't be as indifferent to the national side, although there's still a fair few of them who don't give a toss about Scotland.
The bragging rights has generally been enough, plus I think most realise the upheaval required of possibly going through the lower divisions etc. Celtic wouldn't survive without Rangers and vice versa, IMO.
I completely disagree with that.
Celtic propsered when first getting into CL.
This was without rangers and these games were bay far , way more enjoyable than the spl matches and also the matchees v rangers as there was no sectarianism, no bitter vitriol and no questions about biased officials.
disputed decisions, but that happens in all games in all leagues.
Celtic would be fine without rangers, in actual fact, it might help difuse the problems in scotland and esp glasgow (though these problems are exaggerated a bit- the problem of the sectairan upbringing still exists - imo more on the rangers side but thats imo) - if for example rangers were to stay in spl and Celtic were to move to epl.
unfortunately they are seen as a package and there is no desire to split them . Incorrectly imo.