Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pat Mustard

I thought Brown gave the ball away repeatedly. Ledley I thought made some important tackles when they looked like they might break, I thought it was due to him that they never threatened on the break at all. Different opinions I suppose.
There is no chance we'll sign another keeper, and I've already given my opinion on Forster. He did punch a few times last night, there was one occasion where as you said it caught his forearm but it should definitely have been a freekick, have seen frees given for much less contact on the keeper.
Samaras can play lone striker, its his non-existent link-up play with a strike partner that lets him down. Amongst many other things. I'd much rather see him out on his ear, but Hooper is pretty poor in the lone striker role and I'd imagine thats the way we'll play. Not sure about Stokes in it.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Some of Celtics short passing game last night was terrible I'll agree.
I'm not a big fan of the "lone striker" formation, but thats for another day.
Sammy had 22 appearences last season in the league and scored 3 (yes 3) goals!!
Tbc....

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Club Rossa

Terrible result for Celtic today.As Lennon said after the game,it's as bad a result that he has had in his time in charge.Without Hooper we lack a serious cutting edge up front.Depressing stuff.

tyroneman

Lennon needs to have a serious look at who he is trying to buy and what his tactics are. While the season is only starting nonsense like playing stokes on the wing is really beginning to look naive.

This crap about constantly bringing second rate players in on trial is also nonsense. Are we not capable of scouting talent, making a bid and purchasing?

lynchbhoy

the problem was and still is, the lack of ability to break teams down and not being able to score.
Firstly Celtic take way too long to counter attack- giving tyrone sorry, spl teams time to set up their puke football defensive structure  ;).
secondly Celtic dont shoot enough from dstance- a failing they had during the 90's (apart from the off Paul McStay special) up until the signing of Lambert and Burley who never needed a second invite.
Martin O'Neill combated this by going 352 in his formation.
a 442 is pointless as often the back four are marking one man as the opposition generally play 451 aganst Celtic. the midfield is swamped and Celtic often break even while being 4 against the opponents 5.
A 352 is what Celtic need for the SPL.
Daryl Murphy should be used a hell of a lot more as big target men are successful in the spl - especially against packed defenses - you cant play through them and you cant alwasy shoot from distance.
Lennon showing his inexperience here.
Still at least they dont lay down and capitulate like the strachan sides.
Celtic yesterday by all accounts were desperately unlucky ,hit the woodwark a couple of times and had 66% of posession.
a 352 with creative game breaking players like Forrest , McCourt and commons would be my choice.
Rogne and Kelvin wilson quick enough and great readers of the game in order to be 2 men out of the back 3.
Its early season yet so can be sorted out.
Dont know if this Celtic side can score let alone win away to sion though.

SambaSaffron

Daryl Murphy doesn't play because he's brutal. A quality targetman is needed for the likes of Firhill.

The trial thing isn't a problem for me. If we were signing these "second rate" players I'd be worried. I think the reason we do it is to try and get cheap, talented players. Very few have been successful but it doesn't cost.

I really think we need to spend, on a striker and a central defender. I'm just very concerned that there is no money there.

Muzz

Jesus lads settle down.

Has any of you actually watched the game/highlights?

Seems like the comments on here are simply seeing Celtic was beat 1 nil at home by St. Johnstone and thats that.

The result does not tell the story at all.  Celtic could have had 3 penalties (given 1) that Commons missed because he slipped on the run up.  We hit the post twice.  Enkleman saved 3 or 4 shots that on another day would never have got near them.

St. Johnstone had 2 chances.  The first they should have scored.  The second which they did score Mark Wilson was fouled in the box and their goal was a deflection.

Chill out guys and get behind the team!!!

For anyone that didnt see the game - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/14609830.stm

SambaSaffron

We lost at home to St Johnstone. I don't care if we had 56 shots on target, it shouldn't happen. We also haven't scored in 2 home games.

Muzz

It shouldnt happen your right.  But its football.  Anything can happen!

If we hadnt created the chances that we did then I would be a hell of a lot more worried!  But Im not.  Another day and Celtic would have beat that team 6 or 7 nil. 

Should Arsenal get beat at home by Liverpool?  Should Chelsea get beat by Stoke?  Should Utd get beat by Wolves?  No they shouldnt but it happens.

But the drama away and look forward!  Same negative shite out of supporters all of the time!

Applesisapples

Quote from: Muzz on August 23, 2011, 11:31:01 AM
It shouldnt happen your right.  But its football.  Anything can happen!

If we hadnt created the chances that we did then I would be a hell of a lot more worried!  But Im not.  Another day and Celtic would have beat that team 6 or 7 nil. 

Should Arsenal get beat at home by Liverpool?  Should Chelsea get beat by Stoke?  Should Utd get beat by Wolves?  No they shouldnt but it happens.

But the drama away and look forward!  Same negative shite out of supporters all of the time!
Whilst I would agree with most of what you say, it would appear that taking Kyal and Hooper ou of the team does seriously weaken it and that needs addressed. Izaguire is also a big loss. a team such as Celtic needs cover and quality cover at that. I would be a fan of Sami but even I am beginning to doubt his ability.

Muzz

Agree with what you are saying...

Kayal gone was a loss but we have cover in that area. 

Hooper is a massive loss.  Remember that Hooper and Stokes are the only ones that have played together so when one or the other is out its very hard for anyone else to come in and play off them.  The chances created by Stokes and Maloney at the weekend were enough to win many a game.

Loosing that attacking prowness from Izzy is a bad loss.

I just dont think that there needs to be so much negativity about getting beat 1 nil at home.  Celtic are head and shoulders above the rest of Scotland.  The week before against Dundee Utd - It was said on here that Celtic could have won by 6 or 7 - Dundee Utd could have scored 3 or 4.  Just dont see the point losing the head over one result that could have been a lot worse. 

lynchbhoy

Quote from: SambaSaffron on August 22, 2011, 02:01:10 PM
Daryl Murphy doesn't play because he's brutal. A quality targetman is needed for the likes of Firhill.
The trial thing isn't a problem for me. If we were signing these "second rate" players I'd be worried. I think the reason we do it is to try and get cheap, talented players. Very few have been successful but it doesn't cost.
I really think we need to spend, on a striker and a central defender. I'm just very concerned that there is no money there.
given gametime and supply, Murphy is as good as jelavic and anything in the spl.

lynchbhoy

its not just the loss last sun, or the 0-0 home draw v sion, its the continuation of the same lack of incisiveness by Celtic to use the greater share of posession and turn it into goals.
If games were won by frightening the opposition to surrender, the celtic would be 10 in a row champions.
No harm to Izzaguire, but he is a great lad going forward, beats a couple of players but again lacks a killer pass and often takes too much out of the ball. His skill and trickery looks great on telly, but often contributes a big fat zero in terms of scoring goals. IMO he is weak in defence also. I'd love to have sold him and got 10million for him and used this to sign an outstanding attacking midfielder  to partner Kayal and an outstanding striker.

Celtic are toothless too often. Thats whats annoying.
Celtic couldn have scored 7 - but didnt.If Celtic were as good as they should be - they would have done so.
Harsh - maybe, but people are accepting a lesser standard year on year.
eg Hooper is a great little and young striker, but he should still only be backup to a main striker.

Forever Green

Completely agree with everything you have said Muzz. There has been far too big an overeaction to this defeat. ffs our fans need to stop thinking we are unbeatable. Even Lennon liking the defeat to the Ross County debacle was a bit much. I have plenty of confidence that we are going to progress on Thursday night. We dominated this side at home without playing brilliantly. We are just in a bad spell with injuries and players off form.

My team for Thursday night:
                           Zaluska
            Wilson       Maj      K.Wilson
                    Kayal        Ki
Brown                                       Ledley
                         McCourt
             Stokes                Murphy

Dont think Hooper is going to be fit for this one. I would put big Murphy into the team and just get Brown and Ledley to bomb on and throw the crosses into him. He is bound to get on the end of one of them. Commons is in shite form so I would drop him for this one. Stokes will feed of Paddy brilliantly. Pretty confident Bhoys ;D