Previous topic - Next topic

Carmen Stateside

clarshack

3 absolute sitters missed (2 by kildare) in the last 5 mins

Carmen Stateside

FT
Tyrone 2-11
Kildare 0-12
Good run out for the first league game. Great to see Stephen O Neill and Mugsy in good form

Fear ón Srath Bán

Great 2nd half display last night, and an important game for the new lads' first outing as Seniors in Croke (thank you Kildare County Board  ;) ) to register the hard fought victory.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Donnellys Hollow

Early days but with only two home games to come it's definitely odds against for Kildare to reach a top 2 spot. Very frustrating and you'd wonder has anything at all been learned from the past few years. Why McGeeney persists with playing Johnny Doyle so far out the field is beyond me. He should be parked next to O'Connor and should feed off the big man because Smith and Kavanagh weren't at the races at all last night. The big man will win 4 out of every 5 balls that are kicked into him but defenders know he's not a scoring threat so they're happy to let him win it and then swarm him. The two corner forwards should be feeding off him a lot better.

Playing Eoghan O'Flaherty in the half-backs is another strange tactic. Fair enough it worked for Conway but it didn't exactly work out with Keith Cribbin in 2010 and probably set him back in his development. He's hardly going to be there come the summer when Foley, Bolton, McGrillen and McLoughlin are all back so I don't really see the thinking behind it. O'Flaherty was badly caught out for the first Tyrone goal when he lost track of his man. Actually thought the backs as a unit were quite good for about three quarters of the game but they seemed to fall apart when Ciarán Fitzpatrick went off and Mulligan began to get some space. Thought Ollie Lyons was quite impressive again and would like to see him at wing back.

Still no closer to finding a regular midfield partner for Flynn and that's something that needs to be sorted with question marks over Lynch and Earley. Mikey Conway was one of the few bright sparks last night which was great to see. Kicked some fine scores and should also have had a penalty for a fairly blatant foot-block. No point in reaching for the panic button yet but a lot of work to do.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Jinxy

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 05, 2012, 03:05:06 PM
Early days but with only two home games to come it's definitely odds against for Kildare to reach a top 2 spot. Very frustrating and you'd wonder has anything at all been learned from the past few years. Why McGeeney persists with playing Johnny Doyle so far out the field is beyond me. He should be parked next to O'Connor and should feed off the big man because Smith and Kavanagh weren't at the races at all last night. The big man will win 4 out of every 5 balls that are kicked into him but defenders know he's not a scoring threat so they're happy to let him win it and then swarm him. The two corner forwards should be feeding off him a lot better.

Playing Eoghan O'Flaherty in the half-backs is another strange tactic. Fair enough it worked for Conway but it didn't exactly work out with Keith Cribbin in 2010 and probably set him back in his development. He's hardly going to be there come the summer when Foley, Bolton, McGrillen and McLoughlin are all back so I don't really see the thinking behind it. O'Flaherty was badly caught out for the first Tyrone goal when he lost track of his man. Actually thought the backs as a unit were quite good for about three quarters of the game but they seemed to fall apart when Ciarán Fitzpatrick went off and Mulligan began to get some space. Thought Ollie Lyons was quite impressive again and would like to see him at wing back.

Still no closer to finding a regular midfield partner for Flynn and that's something that needs to be sorted with question marks over Lynch and Earley. Mikey Conway was one of the few bright sparks last night which was great to see. Kicked some fine scores and should also have had a penalty for a fairly blatant foot-block. No point in reaching for the panic button yet but a lot of work to do.

I was at it DH and I couldn't agree more.
When Doyle came on I assumed he'd go into the FF line and Kavanagh would move out to the HF line.
The amount of ball O'Connor won or broke to what should have been Kildares advantage was unreal, yet there was no one within 20 feet of him half the time.
The full back going off gave Mulligan a bit of latitude alright but I must say it was a pleasure to watch him and SON in action and to see them both moving so well at this stage of their careers.
SON in particular looked in great shape and I was a bit surprised to see him so far from goal on a number of occasions but his work-rate and overall contribution was massive.
To be honest, I'd say quite a few Kildare fans went into Croke Park lamenting the Seanie Johnston situation and came out thinking "How soon can we get him?!"
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Jinxy on February 05, 2012, 04:06:21 PM
The full back going off gave Mulligan a bit of latitude alright but I must say it was a pleasure to watch him and SON in action and to see them both moving so well at this stage of their careers.
SON in particular looked in great shape and I was a bit surprised to see him so far from goal on a number of occasions but his work-rate and overall contribution was massive.

Agreed jinxy, those two along with Peter Harte were the pick last night for ourselves.

ONeill

O'Neill was heavily involved - more so than in recent years. It's a tough call. There would be games when he's in the FF line and underused but as we saw yesterday his majestic best is close to goal. In saying that, if he proves to have the engine to play as playmaker as well as get on the end of a few then we'll be in a good place. The same with Mugsy - some of his play further out from goal was great to watch. His ball for Harte's goal was a fine pass. Pete Harte is a class act - a real leader. Very impressed with Mattie Donnelly again - intelligent and always buzzing about. Early calls ashore on Hughes and PJ. Quinn was finding it tough going and gave away good ball. Was Hughes injured? - he didn't seem to get involved at all.

Despite being outplayed for a good 25 minutes in the first half and 10 in the second it wasn't a bad performance. Plenty to work on but the signs are good.

I thought the ref was very inconsistent throughout the game in terms of his punishment of too many steps. Ignored some whilst penalising players with men hanging out of him.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on February 05, 2012, 05:06:23 PM
I thought the ref was very inconsistent throughout the game in terms of his punishment of too many steps. Ignored some whilst penalising players with men hanging out of him.

Consistency isn't one of his strengths: blowing up Mickey Murphy for minor encroachment onto the pitch for a sideline, yet letting a Kildare kick-out be collected without penalty within the semi-circle (stone cold free in).

Matthew Donnelly played well indeed, seems to be settling very assuredly into the grade.

gander

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 05, 2012, 05:13:48 PM
Quote from: ONeill on February 05, 2012, 05:06:23 PM

Consistency isn't one of his strengths: blowing up Mickey Murphy for minor encroachment onto the pitch for a sideline, yet letting a Kildare kick-out be collected without penalty within the semi-circle (stone cold free in).

Matthew Donnelly played well indeed, seems to be settling very assuredly into the grade.

I'm not sure thats a free anymore, seen it happen quite a lot recently without punishment.  Might've been done away with when the kickouts where changed

Jinxy

Mulligan could play a Galvin type role for Tyrone.
Galvin is less of a dirty ball winning wing forward now and more of a playmaker.
Every team needs a Giles/McGuigan type roving out around midfield/HF that can get on the ball and pick out a pass and make things happen.
Especially now with the numbers back defending.
Some of Mulligans foot-passing was sublime last night.
I thought the major difference between the winning and losing teams last night was that Tyrone and Kerry have the confidence, skill and understanding to maintain possession, keep probing and wait for an opening.
Kildare and Dublin are a bit more 'blitzkrieg' in their approach.
I would qualify that by saying Dublin were missing their two best forwards to be fair.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Dublin were atrocious last night...............................fennell and ogara should not be on that dublin panel, what paddy andrews has to do to get a run I do not know ...........fair play to kerry well up for it and out muscled us  in every sector, donaghy is such a bloody moan hole though.................

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: gander on February 05, 2012, 05:18:26 PM
I'm not sure thats a free anymore, seen it happen quite a lot recently without punishment.  Might've been done away with when the kickouts where changed

Fair point, can't see any reference to it in the current rules.