Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: haranguerer on June 20, 2018, 10:12:27 AM
You can have a dashcam also.

Just to point out, by and large if a motorist makes a mistake the cyclist risks death or serious injury; the motorist is likely to be ok. If a cyclist makes a mistake, the cyclist risks death or serious injury; the motorist is likely to be ok.
Hence the food chain comment.

As a car driver on a narrow road, I exercise extreme caution when larger vehicles appear on the horizon. The driver of the other vehicle will exercise the same caution, but it's of greater importance to me to manage my space carefully, as in the event of a collision, it'll be my last action on this earth, regardless of culpability.

Whereas all too often, I witness cyclists who seem oblivious to this concept. The contrast with the behaviour of motorcyclists is stark.

general_lee

Motorcyclists speed too much. I don't see how they are to be held as an example of proper highway etiquette.

Hardy

Quote from: thewobbler on June 20, 2018, 10:28:27 AM

Just to point out, by and large if a motorist makes a mistake the cyclist risks death or serious injury; the motorist is likely to be ok. If a cyclist makes a mistake, the cyclist risks death or serious injury; the motorist is likely to be ok.

As a car driver on a narrow road, I exercise extreme caution when larger vehicles appear on the horizon. The driver of the other vehicle will exercise the same caution, but it's of greater importance to me to manage my space carefully, as in the event of a collision, it'll be my last action on this earth, regardless of culpability.

Whereas all too often, I witness cyclists who seem oblivious to this concept. The contrast with the behaviour of motorcyclists is stark.

This is the point that cyclists, uniquely among road users, seem as a group unable or unwilling to comprehend. On an anecdotal level it seems to me to spring from a militancy as a group that drives them to insist on their equal status as road users and on a consequent right to impede the progress of traffic whose normal speed is much greater than theirs. This will extend to cycling two abreast on a bendy road where a car travelling under the speed limit may be forced to take extreme evasive action on rounding a bend to avoid killing one of these morons. Do they really expect that all drivers should proceed at the average speed of a bike in case they should encounter one on rounding a bend?

You don't see pedestrians behaving like this. As a group, they seem to grasp the concept that it doesn't matter if you're right (as you see it) if you're dead and so they will take steps to protect themselves from traffic that may not necessarily know they're there.

And when we question this level of stupidity among the militant cycling tendency, WE are accused of being indifferent to their welfare - ignoring the fact that WE are the ones taking the trouble to point out this danger to their welfare.

haranguerer

Quote from: Hardy on June 20, 2018, 10:59:19 AM

This is the point that cyclists, uniquely among road users, seem as a group unable or unwilling to comprehend. On an anecdotal level it seems to me to spring from a militancy as a group that drives them to insist on their equal status as road users and on a consequent right to impede the progress of traffic whose normal speed is much greater than theirs. This will extend to cycling two abreast on a bendy road where a car travelling under the speed limit may be forced to take extreme evasive action on rounding a bend to avoid killing one of these morons. Do they really expect that all drivers should proceed at the average speed of a bike in case they should encounter one on rounding a bend?

You don't see pedestrians behaving like this. As a group, they seem to grasp the concept that it doesn't matter if you're right (as you see it) if you're dead and so they will take steps to protect themselves from traffic that may not necessarily know they're there.

And when we question this level of stupidity among the militant cycling tendency, WE are accused of being indifferent to their welfare - ignoring the fact that WE are the ones taking the trouble to point out this danger to their welfare.

'bendy road travelling under the speed limit' - if you're using the speed limit as the guide to what is safe on a bendy road where there could be anything round the next corner, not just cyclists, you're the moron, not them.

maddog

In the situation you describe they should be in single file however 2 abreast should still be smaller than most cars so i expect a car travelling along such a road should be expecting to take evasive action of another car, tractor, pedestrian, horse etc.

GJL

An interesting point in this debate is that the majority of cyclists are in fact also car drivers so have experienced both sides of the argument where as the complaining drivers have not experienced the road from a cyclist's seat.

Being on a bike on a busy road can be very intimidating whilst on your own so cycling in a group does provide more safety. I only recently took to the roads on a bike and my point of view has significantly changed. There are of course a few a$$holes on bikes who give all cyclists a bad name.

Keyser soze

I think you will find that if you round a bend and kill someone, cyclist pedestrian whatever, that you are indeed expected to be able to stop to avoid a collision when rounding a bend without a clear view ahead, regardless of what speed they or indeed you are travelling at.

Orior

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 20, 2018, 11:40:28 AM

I think you will find that if you round a bend and kill someone, cyclist pedestrian whatever, that you are indeed expected to be able to stop to avoid a collision when rounding a bend without a clear view ahead, regardless of what speed they or indeed you are travelling at.

That is correct.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Brick Tamlin

Room 101:
- Lycra-clad arrogant Cyclist pricks
- Hippy know-it-all f**kwit vegetarians/vegans
- Mothers in law.

Keyser soze

Anyway this used to be one of my favourite threads and it has been completely derailed by the allcyclistsarecnutsnothey'renot argument so could we desist from continuing it on here please. 

NAG1

Yeah I think a change of subject is required badly on this one  :o

laoislad

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 20, 2018, 12:25:31 PM
Room 101:
- Mothers in law.
- Cnuts parking beside me in an empty carpark
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

trailer

Quote from: laoislad on June 20, 2018, 01:36:12 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 20, 2018, 12:25:31 PM
Room 101:
- Mothers in law.
- Cnuts parking beside me in an empty carpark
Phil Mickelson

LooseCannon

Quote from: trailer on June 20, 2018, 01:44:00 PM
Quote from: laoislad on June 20, 2018, 01:36:12 PM