Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodger Mona

Director of football is a tricky one. I think if we got someone top notch that had the ability to set out the structures and have the wit to implement them without interfering with management teams and coaches then it will be a really positive thinggoin forward. Though i cant see anyone who would be qualified enough within antrim to take on that role, and anyone that is appointed wont have any experience of it. Would it be a possibility to go with someone outside our county? I liked O'Rourkes 5 year plan the time he was in for the job, had a plan through out the development squads and within the schools but sadly Antrim chose not to make that investment. Theres a guy who had a vision for antrim football that we are only recognising now was a necessity.

Big appointment i hope they get that one right or the rest associated with it may fall apart

Rodger Mona

Quote from: Rodger Mona on December 18, 2019, 11:24:03 AM
Director of football is a tricky one. I think if we got someone top notch that had the ability to set out the structures and have the wit to implement them without interfering with management teams and coaches then it will be a really positive thinggoin forward. Though i cant see anyone who would be qualified enough within antrim to take on that role, and anyone that is appointed wont have any experience of it. Would it be a possibility to go with someone outside our county? I liked O'Rourkes 5 year plan the time he was in for the job, had a plan through out the development squads and within the schools but sadly Antrim chose not to make that investment. Theres a guy who had a vision for antrim football that we are only recognising now was a necessity.

Big appointment i hope they get that one right or the rest associated with it may fall apart

Whole heartily agree. The reason we have refs that arent up to scratch is due to lack of interest for the jobs. Who would want to be a ref. For what you put into it you never get the same back unless you are a totally selfless character. Pity we hadnt more like P.McKeever (RIP) who in my opinion was one of the best we had, played the game and was in the job for the right reasons. Seemed like players and managers could approach him without being talked down to or a fuss kicked up. Tend to feel that a few of the hurling refs who crossover and ref football have the right mannerism and attitude and seem to get less hassle. Is there anything to suggest why that would be the case? I know a few on here who i would be chatting to tend to agree

bannside

I'd imagine these are voluntary positions (director of football and director of hurling) and not of the full time paid variety. Where does the amateur ethos end the the professional one begin. And once you go down that path....some getting paid, others arnt...it is a fast track to a slippery slope!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rodger Mona on December 18, 2019, 10:13:12 AM
Proof will be in the pudding. Have set themselves alot of big targets and if they achieve the half of them by the dates set i applaud them as it will be some achievement.

McCavanna doing a really good job with a great team behind him. Though something not within the document i wish they had put in, was improving the level of the refereeing within our county. Alot of really good and young refs which are welcomed but there are a few who even in terms of fitness cannot keep up with the play and a few others who clearly havent played the game and lack the common sense of how to implement the rules in certain scenarios and a few wee hitlers who cant seem to tell the time. I think if we invested more in our referees and had a level of consistency across the board then the standard of the football would go up, and coaches would be able to train their players accordingly.

Ok I'll bite, the players are well informed of the time during games, they'll ask every second and each time they time waste, the clock is stopped accordingly and they are informed.

Mona is a very good name for you, as you do nothing but complain... Invest in referees? This is where you have lost any degree of sense or knowledge of what its like for the referee team to get referee's to actually invest their time in covering our games. It's pricks like you that stand on the sideines thinking you know the rules and giving abuse to the referees, which actually see's a reduced amount of referees turning up in the new year. The game is not professional, players and officials invest a similar amount of time, we complain about investment into the teams and development squads, we complain about paying for this and that, so now you want to invest in making referees professional?

Christ do you actually think that referee's are doing this for a wage? The referee's that do championship have to pass written exams and a beep fitness test, something I doubt most people on here would pass. We don't have that many ex players willing to put their shoulder to the wheel and become a referee, why do you think that is?

Will be some craic next season when the new rules kick in, sin bin, and forward mark and all levels
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Belfast GAA man

some good points
one element lacking was paid/paid not nature of the Director posts Usual GAA secrecy piece
why not say SAf Business Forum generating 100k and will pay for these 2 Director posts with full time employees then we know it is sustainable - look at the messes in Galway/Mayo wuth finances - secrecy doesn't inspire confidence

Rodger Mona

MR2 never fails to bite. And for your info i have never abused a referee in my life so dont form a picture of me in your head to suit your argument.

As for that spree of stuff you let put of you regarding what i said about investment in referees, it was BS who mentioned financial investment. Not Me! I was talking more about investment in training referees to a higher standard within the county, the amount of referees i have seen at games who failed to blow the mark or who have implemented or failed to implement the black card appropriately  was embarrassing. So backs my point up that we need more training for our referees so they can get things right.

Also why is it that when someone says something on this board that you may not agree with or find offensive that you respond with name calling.  Its that kind of nonsense and immaturity that brings down the standard of refereeing. Again proving my point for me.

you sound like the wee Hitler with the broken clock im talking about.

Tick Tock

Rodger Mona

For the record, let me make it clear. I have nothing but total respect for any man who gives up their time to referee our games. Its a lonely post where u commute far and near in the elements and get very little thanks for doing so. Without the officiating then there would be no games. And the genuine guys doing it for the greater good of the game or have that love for the game. Hats off to them guys!

On the other hand, referees some of which everyone will know who i am talking about, volunteer for different reasons. Some to feel significant, some to get out and about and some are pushed by their clubs. The ones who i have the gripe with, are the ones with small man syndrome, with the massive chip on their shoulder. who dont allow players and manages to question a decision or have a word. The ones who turn free flowing games into an awful spectacle and the ones who cannot admit they can make a mistake like everyone on the pitch. Who let their heart rule their head on the big occasions. Our county has had a brave few of them.

I am not talking about Toland, Laverty, McAuley or Doherty. 4 guys who i feel are very, knowledgeable, rational, fair, and who always would bring umpires when they can,  in league games which results in better referring performances as they have eyes around the pitch and can consult for the big decisions. All round makes for a better, fairer game.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rodger Mona on December 18, 2019, 01:08:07 PM
MR2 never fails to bite. And for your info i have never abused a referee in my life so dont form a picture of me in your head to suit your argument.

As for that spree of stuff you let put of you regarding what i said about investment in referees, it was BS who mentioned financial investment. Not Me! I was talking more about investment in training referees to a higher standard within the county, the amount of referees i have seen at games who failed to blow the mark or who have implemented or failed to implement the black card appropriately  was embarrassing. So backs my point up that we need more training for our referees so they can get things right.

Also why is it that when someone says something on this board that you may not agree with or find offensive that you respond with name calling.  Its that kind of nonsense and immaturity that brings down the standard of refereeing. Again proving my point for me.

you sound like the wee Hitler with the broken clock im talking about.

Tick Tock

Look it's very simple to work out who you are, club and attitude, that's fine your opinion on things is green tinted and I've no problem with that, I at least am not hiding behind a screen, my attitude in refereeing is very straight forward, the rules for black cards is simple, abuse to the referee, or deliberate pull down. I don't see the issue there. Yellow cards and red cards easy to work out also.

The problem is interpretation of the rules and that various from ref to ref, in all counties. As a supporter I'll have issues with a lot of calls referees do during games I attend, as a referee I can understand that he may not see it as you've seen and give him the benefit of the doubt.

All referee's that know of don't care who wins the game that they ref, they don't want handshakes or pats on the back after the game, they want a hassle free game and get in their car and head home without the vile remarks that come from the sideline. Be passionate about your club but don't become a lunatic shouting abuse.

How many names have you used now on the board Mona? As for using lines men and umpires I was given stick for taking advice from a lines man at a game, can't win.

As for free flowing football that's down to the players and management
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Did someone here recently mention that last years LD management team had stood down? Because that's not what I'm hearing! Can anyone confirm?

Rodger Mona

First time on this board, so please aim your frustration at myself for my comments and not who you presume I am. Also MR2 what the hell are you on about green tinted glasses? iv two tints to my glasses and neither are green. So again lets not make assumptions.

And as your you consulting a linesman, only a lunatic would hurl abuse at you for doing so.  So lets not get into specific incidents as i think we can make allowances for the odd bit of riff raff as its human nature heat of the moment stuff.

Free flowing football you are right is initially down to the teams but again, compared to down, tyrone or derry football, Antrim club games are known to be very stop start and referees to be inconsistent with their decisions. Not all, referees of course, but alot. So it is disingenuous to deflect the referees impact on the game within the county. They have a major responsibility and set the tone of games and how they are to be played. So considering all that, is it wrong for me to suggest our referees get investment with their training, officiating or BS's suggestion that they are financially facilitated? I think by doing so you would get a larger pool of referees which the county could grade better and the standard and integrity of our game would go up

Rodger Mona

Quote from: bannside on December 18, 2019, 02:24:10 PM
Did someone here recently mention that last years LD management team had stood down? Because that's not what I'm hearing! Can anyone confirm?

BS That was myself querying that. But as far as im aware the guy they had from Clonoe is back in Tyrone managing. Lynch is implementing his predecessor.

Any other news on management changes around the clubs? Kellys stepped down from galls, is he retired altogether or playing? McKenna away from Gort? Ahoghill job vacant? Geroid and st.johns? Cassidys staying? Murray still at aghagallon? Dillon with Casements?

bannside

Barry Dillon still with us, Cassidy remains at Cargin, Adam's who had without question two extremely poor seasons at St John's has somehow managed to end up in Burren!

Think Fitzy is hanging on for another crack at St Endas after a poor term last year no doubt caused by fatigue. Martin Lynch has the hard work done at LD just needs to keep that momentum going to be in next years mix, so he's hanging on too.  Wee Gerard Mc Nulty taking over the reigns at Creggan from Kevin Madden.

Anyone with any more info to add to that in Div 1 or other divisions for that matter?

Calm Down

Quote from: Rodger Mona on December 18, 2019, 01:17:33 PM
For the record, let me make it clear. I have nothing but total respect for any man who gives up their time to referee our games. Its a lonely post where u commute far and near in the elements and get very little thanks for doing so. Without the officiating then there would be no games. And the genuine guys doing it for the greater good of the game or have that love for the game. Hats off to them guys!

On the other hand, referees some of which everyone will know who i am talking about, volunteer for different reasons. Some to feel significant, some to get out and about and some are pushed by their clubs. The ones who i have the gripe with, are the ones with small man syndrome, with the massive chip on their shoulder. who dont allow players and manages to question a decision or have a word. The ones who turn free flowing games into an awful spectacle and the ones who cannot admit they can make a mistake like everyone on the pitch. Who let their heart rule their head on the big occasions. Our county has had a brave few of them.

I am not talking about Toland, Laverty, McAuley or Doherty. 4 guys who i feel are very, knowledgeable, rational, fair, and who always would bring umpires when they can,  in league games which results in better referring performances as they have eyes around the pitch and can consult for the big decisions. All round makes for a better, fairer game.

Come on Mona you named the ref's you do not have a problem with, who are those that you do? Apart from MR2 that is. BTW MR2 is probably the fittest ref in the country, watching him he keeps up with the game and if you have a watch that works, I think he usually plays the correct amount of time.

Guys like you are a cancer in the Association, constant criticism with faux solutions 

Rodger Mona

Thanks Calm Down. You are a real charmer.

Well honestly personally i dont have a problem with any of the guys, though if you want my opinion i think mcdonald is a consistent ref, im still not 100% which galls ref mr2 actually is so il hold fire until i find out more, i think your man mcdermott from whitehill is a terrible ref who makes the game all about himself,  your man from aldegrove  John Moran just leaves me scratching me head 90% of the time and could start a field fight at charity match. Vincent Boyle is past his best, Young lad eastwood is fair enough but with his lack of communication with his decisions tends to get targeted by management. I think McCotter, McKnight and the rest just need to be improved across the board. Im sure all good lads but from a football perspective the overall standard needs upped.

Sorry for having an opinion Calm Down, be interested to hear your view on the matter or would u prefer everyone to keep their mouths shut and be happy with how things are

Calm Down

As far as opinions are concerned I am all for them, however constructive criticism as opposed to just blanket nastiness across the board is what I seek.

M Moran and O'Boyle I agree are men who have had better days, however keep games at a lower level going when others wont. McDermatt from Whitehill, I have seen him a few times and I think if the teams want to play football he will let the game go, however if teams want to engage in nonsense I will agree that he may try to take too firm grip off a game.

Tomas is a decent young ref, however will attitudes like you chase him away and McCotter et al, are they not at the wrong stage to be improved and be the difference to the future?

DID  you ever consider it might be the teams that are contributors to the spectacle and not the ref?? Also where is your solution to helping, I for one am past the age for reffing but could you pick up the whistle and be part of the solution not the problem?