Armagh v Derry November 1st

Started by tonto1888, October 26, 2020, 07:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Have to say great to see these games as knockout again - like the good old days.

On paper Armagh should win but it will be tight. Looking forward to this.

LCohen

Quote from: bennydorano on October 28, 2020, 09:31:46 PM
Armagh best priced at 11/20 with Unibet and Derry widely available at 2/1.

Not known for my optimism, unsurprisingly I fancy Derry, they're never a team I like to play, so much natural talent and now with a fiercely well organised manager like Gallagher I think they'll be very hard beat at home. If Brendan Donaghy is not playing that will be a huge blow, you could drive a bus through our central defensive areas.

I still find it weird that prematch analysis includes betting odds. As a complete aside do many have a bet on matches involving their own side or routinely to bigger games?

LCohen

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on October 29, 2020, 04:13:48 PM
Armagh have a freakishly unbalanced side at the minute. Superb attack, dreadful defence. This adds up to making every match a lottery.

If things click on the day their forward quality could easily carry them to a 10+ points victory, but equally their defence could go walkabout in a 5 or 6 point defeat.

Their discipline is suspect too. It wouldn't be at all surprising to see one of their more influential player not last the full 70.

It should make for an exciting game.
. I think your second point goes a long way to addressing your first point. I thinks or defensive frailties is largely explained by indiscipline in the tackle. That is across the team. It's not that we are a physical or dirty team it's that we have a habit of putting a hand on the back when tackling with the other hand. It's not forceful but creates a bad picture in the ref's mind

bennydorano

Quote from: LCohen on October 29, 2020, 05:19:20 PM

Not known for my optimism, unsurprisingly I fancy Derry, they're never a team I like to play, so much natural talent and now with a fiercely well organised manager like Gallagher I think they'll be very hard beat at home. If Brendan Donaghy is not playing that will be a huge blow, you could drive a bus through our central defensive areas.

I still find it weird that prematch analysis includes betting odds. As a complete aside do many have a bet on matches involving their own side or routinely to bigger games?
Primarily it's always a good general indicator of independent views of the matches. I wouldn't go mad on short odds at anytime, some times you see a price and you just know its way off base, they're the ones you want, few and far between tho. Wouldn't touch Armagh at 1/2. If I'd a spare wad of cash I'd do Derry plus the handicap+2 @ Evens. I'll probably just do a handicap accumulator this weekend.

LCohen

Quote from: bennydorano on October 29, 2020, 09:03:51 PM

Primarily it's always a good general indicator of independent views of the matches. I wouldn't go mad on short odds at anytime, some times you see a price and you just know its way off base, they're the ones you want, few and far between tho. Wouldn't touch Armagh at 1/2. If I'd a spare wad of cash I'd do Derry plus the handicap+2 @ Evens. I'll probably just do a handicap accumulator this weekend.

I have no idea what any of that means.

I'll watch the football though

theticklemister

Quote from: LCohen on October 29, 2020, 09:18:53 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on October 29, 2020, 09:03:51 PM

I have no idea what any of that means.

I'll watch the football though

It means if you dont spend any money you'll be up money

bennydorano

That's about the height of it ok!

On dirty weekends weather wise generally better to go with the team with the plus handicap too - imo anyway.

Cavan +4 @ 5/4
Carlow +3 @ 1/1
Louth +4 @ 8/11
Clare +1 @ 1/1

£10 on those 4 would return £155.45

armaghniac

Orange weather warning, surely the wind is behind Armagh on this one.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bennydorano on October 30, 2020, 09:06:34 AM
That's about the height of it ok!

On dirty weekends weather wise generally better to go with the team with the plus handicap too - imo anyway.

Cavan +4 @ 5/4
Carlow +3 @ 1/1
Louth +4 @ 8/11
Clare +1 @ 1/1

£10 on those 4 would return £155.45

Whoever wins the toss is a big factor!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

illdecide

1 (GK)      Blaine Hughes   Blaine Ó hAodha   Naomh Padraig Carraig Chropain
2      Paddy Burns   Pádraig Ó Broin   Peadar O'Doirnin Foirceal
3      Ryan Kennedy   Rian Ó Cinnéide   Na Cloigthithe Baile Mhic an Aba
4      James Morgan   Séamus Ó Muireagáin   Raonaithe Na Croise
5      Conor O'Neill   Conchúr O'Niell   Naomh Moinna Cill Sleibhe
6      Aidan Forker   Aodhán Mac Fearchair   An Machaire
7      Mark Shields   Marcas Ó Siail   An Chrois Bhán
8      Oisin O'Neill   Oisín Ó Néill   Raonaithe Na Croise
9      Stephen Sheridan   Stiofán Ó Síreadáin   Peadar O'Doirnin Foirceal
10      Rory Grugan   Ruairí Ó Gruagáin   Na Cloigthithe Baile Mhic an Aba
11      Callum Cumiskey   Colm Mac Cumascaigh   Raonaithe Na Croise
12      Stefan Campbell   Stefan Mac Cathmhaoil   An Lorgáin Clan na Gael
13      Jamie Clarke   Séimí Mac Cléirigh   Gaeil Neasden
14      Rian O'Neill   Rian Ó Néill   Raonaithe Na Croise
15      Niall Grimley   Niall ó Garmaile   Na Ropari Na Madain
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

illdecide

I'll assume N Grimley will play out around the middle as a 3rd midfielder...I'll also assume M Shields will pick up a specific Derry player but where will Callum Cumiskey play (if he even starts)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

restorepride

Quote from: theticklemister on October 28, 2020, 06:06:49 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 28, 2020, 02:02:00 PM
The behind closed door nature should suit Derry as they are used to playing with no fans there.

I would argue with you but you are correct
Rest assured that the South Doire lads will not roll over as easy for tickling as tickle!   A cheap shot from Doctor Angelo - is he not busy making a balls of a pandemic?
Ard Mhacha are rightly favourites and it will take a huge effort from Doire to win.  They will struggle with physicality, especially if they take the ball into the tackle too often, however they do have a bit of pace on the counter.  Grugan for me is the one to absolutely man-mark - Doire might just sacrifice someone to that job - maybe Glass, if he doesn't pick up one of the O'Neills.   Overall I think that Ard Mhacha have more scoring options and have been playing consistently at a higher level than Doire.  Free taking will be crucial and Ard Mhacha again hold the advantage there although with Niall Loughlin back, Doire should be more balanced in that department.  If Ard Mhacha push up, as I expect them to do, on Doire's kickouts, then Doire could struggle to gain primary possession.  Anyhow, here's to a good game! 

Farrandeelin

You'd expect Ard Macha to win right enough, but today's result shows there should be no complacency anymore.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Armamike

That's just, like your opinion man.