Armagh v Derry November 1st

Started by tonto1888, October 26, 2020, 07:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

I think this game could be a lot closer than most people think, I hope (more than expect)Armagh to win by 2-3 pts but as we all know anything could happen. Celtic Pk is a hard place to go and win in no matter the form of Derry, as someone stated there Derry could easily have went up in the place of Down and are not that for off it. What about a draw and extra time? I really feel this could be that tight TBH.
Don't know anything about Derry as they've been under the radar lately so it's hard to know what to expect from them but what i do know is they've some exceptional footballers there and i for one am not expecting an easy ride here...Looking forward to it all the same.

Armagh to win by 4pts (after extra time)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

theticklemister

I remember in 1999 when Armagh won their Ulster  in 17 years. The sheer joy on Jarlath Burns' face when he lifted the Anglo -Celt has been forever etched in my mind. Armagh danced in Clones that day and fair dues to them.

Now it's been 22 years since Derry lifted Ulster and I can't remember a time that we have been so far away. I'm just thinking if we win Ulster would there be the same outpouring of emotion - likely not.

screenexile

Quote from: theticklemister on October 28, 2020, 11:14:22 AM
I remember in 1999 when Armagh won their Ulster  in 17 years. The sheer joy on Jarlath Burns' face when he lifted the Anglo -Celt has been forever etched in my mind. Armagh danced in Clones that day and fair dues to them.

Now it's been 22 years since Derry lifted Ulster and I can't remember a time that we have been so far away. I'm just thinking if we win Ulster would there be the same outpouring of emotion - likely not.

That one stings... Missed a penalty and Downey getting nailed by the ref for a perfectly timed shoulder that resulted in the winning free for McConville.

Thems the breaks!

theticklemister

Quote from: screenexile on October 28, 2020, 11:27:27 AM

That one stings... Missed a penalty and Downey getting nailed by the ref for a perfectly timed shoulder that resulted in the winning free for McConville.

Thems the breaks!

Jesus lad. I was behind the goals at the townside, right in line with that shoulder. To be fair, I was about 100 metres away, but to this day, I remember Downey hitting square on the shoulder with his shoulder. No bodies were blocking my viewpoint. I caused the referee for years on an end. Little did I know, we would never be as closer to an Ulster title in the next 20 years.

Estimator

Quote from: theticklemister on October 28, 2020, 11:45:46 AM
Quote from: screenexile on October 28, 2020, 11:27:27 AM

Thems the breaks!

Jesus lad. I was behind the goals at the townside, right in line with that shoulder. To be fair, I was about 100 metres away, but to this day, I remember Downey hitting square on  the shoulder with his shoulder. No bodies were blocking my viewpoint. I caused the referee for years on an end. Little did I know, we would never be as closer to an Ulster title in the next 20 years.

In fairness we got the the final the year after (2000) and lost by a point.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Angelo

The behind closed door nature should suit Derry as they are used to playing with no fans there.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

lurganblue

Armagh will likely put up between 15 and 20 points.  They'll also give away 8/10 scoreable frees.

Blowitupref

Hard to know where Derry are at, only lost by 1 score to Cork in Páirc Uí Chaoimh and drew at home to Leitrim. The knock out championship might bring out the best in them and in Rory Gallagher they have a manager that led Fermanagh to the Ulster final two years ago with wins over Armagh and Monaghan.

The last time Armagh gained promotion to Division 1 was 2010, first championship match that year was against Derry which they won by 3 points, history to repeat itself?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

twohands!!!

Quote from: lurganblue on October 28, 2020, 02:24:33 PM
Armagh will likely put up between 15 and 20 points.  They'll also give away 8/10 scoreable frees.

I don't think it will be a weekend for big scorelines looking at the weather forecast.

On the frees side of things, I'd love to see the stats on the amount of frees, penalties given away, yellows, blacks and reds Armagh have picked up under McGeeney.

I'd be absolutely shocked if Armagh weren't among the worst perfoming counties on this front.

theticklemister

Quote from: Angelo on October 28, 2020, 02:02:00 PM
The behind closed door nature should suit Derry as they are used to playing with no fans there.

I would argue with you but you are correct

bennydorano

Armagh best priced at 11/20 with Unibet and Derry widely available at 2/1.

Not known for my optimism, unsurprisingly I fancy Derry, they're never a team I like to play, so much natural talent and now with a fiercely well organised manager like Gallagher I think they'll be very hard beat at home. If Brendan Donaghy is not playing that will be a huge blow, you could drive a bus through our central defensive areas.

illdecide

Quote from: bennydorano on October 28, 2020, 09:31:46 PM

Not known for my optimism, unsurprisingly I fancy Derry, they're never a team I like to play, so much natural talent and now with a fiercely well organised manager like Gallagher I think they'll be very hard beat at home. If Brendan Donaghy is not playing that will be a huge blow, you could drive a bus through our central defensive areas.

You're not far off the money there Benny...I don't think there's a big pile between the two teams...Armagh a slight bit ahead of Derry but whatever small advantage that has is taken away with home venue for Derry. Will be tight
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

JoG2

Quote from: illdecide on October 29, 2020, 01:17:27 PM

You're not far off the money there Benny...I don't think there's a big pile between the two teams...Armagh a slight bit ahead of Derry but whatever small advantage that has is taken away with home venue for Derry. Will be tight

+ the weather. Very wet the last wee while up here and there doesn't look to much let up until throw in. A hardy battle with very little champagne football on show, goals will be crucial

tbrick18

Quote from: JoG2 on October 29, 2020, 01:24:16 PM
Quote from: illdecide on October 29, 2020, 01:17:27 PM

+ the weather. Very wet the last wee while up here and there doesn't look to much let up until throw in. A hardy battle with very little champagne football on show, goals will be crucial

Weather will be important alright. I dont think there's much between the 2 teams but Armagh are just a bit further down the road in their development and have the bit more physicality which I think will see them through.
I hope I'm wrong.
I remember us playing Armagh in Clones and expecting to get beat out the gate but we won with a point from an ecstatic Colly Devlin. Hopefully we can pull it out of the bag. Derry desperately need some good fortune.

Ed Ricketts

Armagh have a freakishly unbalanced side at the minute. Superb attack, dreadful defence. This adds up to making every match a lottery.

If things click on the day their forward quality could easily carry them to a 10+ points victory, but equally their defence could go walkabout in a 5 or 6 point defeat.

Their discipline is suspect too. It wouldn't be at all surprising to see one of their more influential player not last the full 70.

It should make for an exciting game.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.