Graham Geraghty - Evergreen

Started by Never beat the deeler, December 13, 2013, 03:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Never beat the deeler

Has anyone ever made their debut in a competition after managing in it?*

QuoteMeath’s Graham Geraghty is about to write himself a place in the GAA history books as at the tender age of 40, he is about to make his Sigerson Cup debut.

Geraghty, who recently enroled in to Blanchardstown IT to study Social and Community Development has now become eligible to line out for their Sigerson team. Geraghty, who himself was manager of the IT’s Trench Cup team who won the competition earlier this year.

See Also: Queen’s University Belfast to host 2014 Sigerson & Fitzgibbon Cup competitions

Speaking to the Irish Independent, Geraghty told of how playing Sigerson Cup football was the last thing he had expected to be doing at his age.

“It came as bit of a surprise, I didn’t think I’d ever play college football at any stage and it’s definitely a surprise to be playing at this level. I was meant to do a sports and recreational course in Colaiste Ide but I never did and 23 years later here I am.”

See Also: The Sigerson Cup will have to deal with Michael Darragh MacCauley next year

The college will face off against NUIM in the first round of the Cup for 2014. Geraghty is hopeful for the upcoming season.

“We have lost eight of the team from last year and it’s a massive blow for a small college like us. But it’s a challenge and we managed to stay up in the league.”

http://gaabanter.ie/graham-geraghty-40-years-young-making-sigerson-debut/

* I know, Trench Cup is technically not Sigerson, but really a different division of same comp
Hasta la victoria siempre

T Fearon

I thought Geraghty would have a greater chance of getting into the Dail that getting into a third level educational establishment

armaghniac

It's Blanchardstown IT he got into, not UCD!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RandyDupree

Gutted for the 6th best forward at the college who has to now sit on the bench and watch the pensioner play in his place simply because of his high profile name.

BennyCake

I thought he was going to do a duet with Will Young. I'm so disappointed!

Jinxy

Quote from: RandyDupree on December 13, 2013, 03:50:41 PM
Gutted for the 6th best forward at the college who has to now sit on the bench and watch the pensioner play in his place simply because of his high profile name.

He should be honoured to share a dressing-room with him.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Jinxy on December 13, 2013, 04:04:51 PM

+1, it would be a great honour for any young lad to play with one of the best all round players of the last 15-20 years.

Feckitt

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on December 13, 2013, 04:30:53 PM

+1, it would be a great honour for any young lad to play with one of the best all round players of the last 15-20 years.

+2.  One of the greats.

Syferus

At least there'll be no Australians to worry about.

joemamas

Quote from: Feckitt on December 13, 2013, 04:34:35 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on December 13, 2013, 04:30:53 PM

+2.  One of the greats.

+3 One of the top 10 footballers I have seen in my lifetime.

He may have a problem with diversity and public speaking courses.  :)

Don Corleone

+4. His versatility cost him in the overall scheme of things. Potentially the greatest wing-back of the past 30 years had he been left there for his career.
Why did you go to the police? Why didn't you come to me first?

J OGorman

muppet

If he aims a bit higher he could become the 5th best.
MWWSI 2017

Jinxy

One of those rare players who could play in any position on the field and excel.
The only player similar to him now that I can think of is Paul Flynn and yet he doesn't have the same pace or scoring ability Graham had.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thejuice

If he were any use he'd be playing.

In't that right Jinxy.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016