Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

What type of car is it? If we know that then we can tell you where about the coolant reservoir is?

Overheating an engine is not something you want to be doing
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Celt_Man on September 24, 2010, 11:13:08 AM
Open up the bonnet and have a wee root around the water reservoir should be handy enough to spot. wee lid on it with some sort of generic water symbol.  There is normally a minimum level on it too which you should see on the outside.  If it is below that, chances are thats your problem
When the coolant is low the fan will start working flat out to keep it cool. It cannot do this forever and you'll seize your engine and either be out thousands or have to scrap the wagon. Happened me years ago. I had an internal leak and didn't notice until it was too late.

Denn Forever

Quote from: Celt_Man on September 24, 2010, 11:13:08 AM
Open up the bonnet and have a wee root around the water reservoir should be handy enough to spot. wee lid on it with some sort of generic water symbol.  There is normally a minimum level on it too which you should see on the outside.  If it is below that, chances are thats your problem

Water Resevoir is usually on the Righthand side of the engine bay (i.e. the passanger side).  Bring it to someone like Garage/Advance Tyres/Quik Fit and ask them to check for leaks.  Also get a coolant mix as really you shouldn't use water on its own to refill the coolant. 

Get it checked.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tyrone girl

Ok im a bit lost now - so do i check the thing for water -( i presume il find what im looking for at lunchtime) then if its low do i just fill it up with water and thats it fixed? I dont have a clue what you are on about coolant? How do i know if i have any of that in my car?

theskull1

coolant/water ......same thing for the purposes of this discussion

tyrone girl

So if its low on water i presume thats my problem and i just refll it is that right?

Denn Forever

Coolant = Water + Antifreeze.  Most manufacurers specify a coolant mix e.g. 70/30.  70% water/30%antifreeze.  Thats the nerdy bit out of the way.

TG, as I said the water resevoir is on the right hande side of the engine bay.  It is a large plastic bottle usually with a Minimum level indicator.  You can use water to fill it and see how it goes.  As we are coming into winter it may be a good time to bring to a garage and get the coolant checked to the level of antifreeze it it.

You will know it is the coolant resevoir as it will have a screw cap.  Windscreen washer resevoir will have a tab like top.

Hope this is some help.
means what he says...

tyrone girl

But would water do it for now if it was low? and then get some anti freeze mixed into it next wk? Is that ok?

Hardy

Jesus Christ take it to a garage or a man. And don't go opening the coolant tank when it's hot or you'll get badly scalded.

Denn Forever

Water will do.  Keep an eye on the temp guage and careful openining the cap especially if hot.  Open slowly and allow any pressure build up to escape (hissing noise) if hot. 
means what he says...

EC Unique

If it is low on water you have a problem. It is either using the water (head gasket) or leaking water. Either way you will need it fixed. Just topping it up is only a quick fix. Been there done that got the bill :-\

tyrone girl

Ta very much for your help - most appreciated  :)

theskull1

Quote from: tyrone girl on September 24, 2010, 12:40:00 PM
So if its low on water i presume thats my problem and i just refll it is that right?
Nope
question is why you've lost the water in the first place

Could be
Waterpump failure
Radiator leak
Cooling system rubber hoses leak/perished
.............These failures could be a small leaks which gives you time to refill ...keep an eye on the water level (have a few big bottles of water in the boot to refill when needed ) but drive to a mechanic as soon as you can)

I had a waterpump fail on me but drove it for a few days (filling the car a couple of times a day) before I got it to a mechanic but your leak may be worse. Have a look under the car when it's running and see if theres any water leaking from the engine

Head gasket leak (which may come about as a result of the car overheating and warping the head (metal bit at the top of the engine)
If the head gasket is gone you should see a fair ammount of white smoke as the water  from the cooling system gets mixed with the exhaust gases
............If a mechanic is a few mile away you could drive to him

tyrone girl

Filled it up with water there - i couldnt realy see if it was at a minimum level or not. Anyway took it into the town and it wasnt heating up like before but started to rise only slightly (not worth talking about) but still a slight move from what it would be when normal

Denn Forever

Just keep an eye on it but get someone who knows to have a look at it.  Heater controls back to normal?
means what he says...