Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fitzroyalty

Keep getting warning signs on mk4 golf saying stop and check coolant. Brought it to the mechanic and he gave me coolant. Topped it up but 3/4 weeks later and same thing started happening again? Obviously a leak somewhere but any idea what the damage is in terms of getting it fixed?

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: fitzroyalty on April 22, 2010, 12:56:09 PM
Keep getting warning signs on mk4 golf saying stop and check coolant. Brought it to the mechanic and he gave me coolant. Topped it up but 3/4 weeks later and same thing started happening again? Obviously a leak somewhere but any idea what the damage is in terms of getting it fixed?

Get a bottle of sealant - saved me getting a new radiator! (If you are stuck apparently an egg will do the trick for a while...)

ONeill

Quote from: ONeill on March 31, 2010, 12:14:02 AM
Right. A couple of days ago I reversed slowly and during the first 3-4 seconds it felt like I was driving over something at the front left wheel. Since then there's a loud rattling noise from that front left of the car when I drive, loudly on bumpier roads and mostly when in a relatively straight line. I have driven a couple of days with it since. Any thoughts?

Right. Never got around to throwing it into the garage so last week I took the front left wheel off her. There's a bar (a drop link?) that is just hanging horizontally and banging off a shaft when I drive. I took the opposite wheel off and saw that it is meant to be vertical, just behind the wheel. The top nut has cracked or just buckled. Is it important? I've been driving three weeks or so now with it just hanging, battering away. Don't feel any difference in the handling but it's hard to hear the radio or the wife..

What is that yoke?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

NAG1

Quote from: ONeill on April 22, 2010, 02:30:57 PM
Right. A couple of days ago I reversed slowly and during the first 3-4 seconds it felt like I was driving over something at the front left wheel. Since then there's a loud rattling noise from that front left of the car when I drive, loudly on bumpier roads and mostly when in a relatively straight line. I have driven a couple of days with it since. Any thoughts?

Right. Never got around to throwing it into the garage so last week I took the front left wheel off her. There's a bar (a drop link?) that is just hanging horizontally and banging off a shaft when I drive. I took the opposite wheel off and saw that it is meant to be vertical, just behind the wheel. The top nut has cracked or just buckled. Is it important? I've been driving three weeks or so now with it just hanging, battering away. Don't feel any difference in the handling but it's hard to hear the radio or the wife..

What is that yoke?

Where do you get a problem like that O'Neill?  ;)

Tyrones own

Quote from: ONeill on April 22, 2010, 02:30:57 PM

What is that yoke?
Anti roll bar...we'll be gathering you out the moss some night if ye don't get her looked at!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Mario

A friend drives a 2001 Petrol Focus, recently when i'm driving it seems to be losing power and when its stationary if I get out and listen to it the engine seems louder than usual, as if its working harder than normal.

Anyone know the possible reason for this?

supersarsfields

I had a mondeo 02 and something similar was happening and the engine was getting louder. It was the fly wheel with me. Might be something like that.

DirtyDozen12

Tyrone girl has serious car problems at the minute, check out the diesel dippers thread   
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

aontroim

Quote from: gawa316 on April 22, 2010, 12:26:30 PM
Need a window regulator for my freelander. Mechanic can't find second hand one and new ones cost the guts of £140. Found this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280495557239&_trksid=p2759.l1259  anyone have any idea if this will do the job?

Did you get this one GAWA? I've the same problem and a new regulator is far from cheap - at the minute the window is being held closed by half a clothes-peg on each side of the window  :D cheap solution that will do for now!

AbbeySider

Quote from: Mario on May 31, 2010, 09:56:47 AM
A friend drives a 2001 Petrol Focus, recently when i'm driving it seems to be losing power and when its stationary if I get out and listen to it the engine seems louder than usual, as if its working harder than normal.

Break or handbreak could be sticking. She might need new brake callipers

screenmachine

QuoteA friend drives a 2001 Petrol Focus, recently when i'm driving it seems to be losing power and when its stationary if I get out and listen to it the engine seems louder than usual, as if its working harder than normal.

Why are you driving your friend's car and more importantly why are you trying to fix it?   ;)
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Aaron Boone

My girlfriend's car failed the NCT (26-county MOT) on a visual for the bottom corner of her brake pedal being worn. Just checking you can buy what's needed in Halford's etc?

Denn Forever

Quote from: Aaron Boone on May 31, 2010, 09:47:36 PM
My girlfriend's car failed the NCT (26-county MOT) on a visual for the bottom corner of her brake pedal being worn. Just checking you can buy what's needed in Halford's etc?

Should do but have you tried the dealer for the car.  Shouldn't be that expensive and at least you'd be sure its the right fit.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tyrone girl

Had flat tyre yesterday evening - got it changed and since that im feeling like a dull rattling out of the car - like a dull thumping - hard to explain. Thought it was maybe the sound of the boot now being hollow cos no spare wheel or something - i know that sounds stupid. Anyone any ideas? Ta in advance

Final Whistle

flat spot on the tyre? did you drive it for long while flat?

you are not having much luck with the car TG.