Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone girl

Its a banger anyway - its 99 so more than on its last legs - saving for new one but the time keeps getting pushed back - tis gonna be sept at least before can afford it. Wanted this thing to keep me goin till then. How much would it cost to get that thing fixed? More than the cars worth prob

AFS

Quote from: tyrone girl on March 29, 2010, 09:24:59 AM
Frig im always complaining about my car but here goes.

Every time i go to start the car if it has been sitting for any length of time it starts but as it does it like seems to jump up and down, sort of rattle about for ages before it settles down, and in mornings when go to reverse it if i do that after just starting it there doesnt seem to be enough power and it cuts out. If i rev it like mad as i start it though it bes grand and it only happens if i have left the car sitting more than 5 or 6 hours without starting. Cant see it being the battery cos not long after getting new one. My da reckons its just cos its cold but im not convinced

Mines the same. I just put it down to the car being old and shit.

tyrone girl

:D :D Thats what the bf says - asks me what do i expect from a banger over 10 years old - supose i should count meself lucky it even still drives. Feck it as long as it does me til september time then i can get rid

theskull1

Quote from: tyrone girl on March 29, 2010, 10:55:46 AM
:D :D Thats what the bf says - asks me what do i expect from a banger over 10 years old - supose i should count meself lucky it even still drives. Feck it as long as it does me til september time then i can get rid

:-X
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

illdecide

Quote from: theskull1 on March 29, 2010, 11:03:03 AM
Quote from: tyrone girl on March 29, 2010, 10:55:46 AM

:-X

I would say there was plenty of that done in March :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

tyrone girl

Denn Forever

Is it Diesel or Petrol?

It sounds like an idle problem.  Does the car have a rev counter?  Proper idlining speed for a petrol car would be 800-900RPM. 

Alternativly you could become a buddists and spend a minute or two meditating after starting up the car until it warms up.

On another topic, I have heard that you are not supposed to reverse from your driveway on to a road.  Is this true? 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

illdecide

Quote from: tyrone girl on March 29, 2010, 11:12:58 AM
::) Why March?

Were u and a mystery man (whom i know off) not away on a dirty little adventure there during the month of March?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

tyrone girl

tyrone girl

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 29, 2010, 11:43:33 AM
Is it Diesel or Petrol?

It sounds like an idle problem.  Does the car have a rev counter?  Proper idlining speed for a petrol car would be 800-900RPM. 

Alternativly you could become a buddists and spend a minute or two meditating after starting up the car until it warms up.

On another topic, I have heard that you are not supposed to reverse from your driveway on to a road.  Is this true?

Its diesel - whats a rev counter though?

I dont reverse from the driveway though - i reverse it round the corner of the drive then drive it out - good distance between house and entrance to road

tyrone girl

Also ildecide who is this mystery man - enlighten me?

Denn Forever

I would expect a diesel to be quite rattley especially after start up.

Diesels are not as quick to go as petrol cars. 

Back in the day the proper start up procedure for a diesel car was to turn on the ignition and leave it for 5-10 seconds to warm up a thing called the glow plug (which heated up the fuel I think) before trying to start the car. 

Were you given any start up procedure when you got the car?

The rev counter if you have one would be the dial beside the speedometer on the dash which increases as you press the accelerator. 

Don't know what the typical idle speed for a diesel car is but it would be lower than a petrol car.
means what he says...

tyrone girl

But im driving it over 4 years and never been like this before - its like jigging up and down flat out before it settles and only settles when i rev it like mad. I always leave it for 5 or 10 seconds before starting it anyway - was thinking it may be that its full of kerosene but been happening long before starting driving on it again.

Denn Forever

So are you using Kerosene or Diesel now?  Were you using 100% kerosene or blended with diesel?  Diesel would have better lubricating propterties than Kerosene so it may have affected some of the fuel delivery components. 

Though if you say it clears up when the car is warmed up keep on truckin' and as Take That say "have a little patience" and allow the car to warm up before driving off.

Also is it legal?  Different rate of duty?
means what he says...

tyrone girl

Always drove on kerosene mixed with diesel then stopped and just was driving on diesel - too dear now though so back to mixing it again.
I may have to grin and bear it and hope the car lasts me new few months