Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 09, 2010, 09:04:55 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on March 09, 2010, 03:08:15 PM
just after shelling out the better part of £300 to a ford dealer to get my car connected to a computer, change a turbo inlet pipe and recalibrate an injector which is probably on its way out anyway, would make you weep.

Its £70 odd quid for the diagnostics, absolute rip off for a 5 minute job, hoors..
Its not just me then?! I have had serious bother with the car since before Xmas (tdci focus). Was cutting out all the time and took it to those robbing c***ts Lindsays on advice from my local mechanic as it needed a diagnostic. A 70 quid diagnostic later they told me it needed a new inlet monitoring valve at 200 odd quid. Shelled out for it and the f**king thing cut out 5 minutes after leaving their garage! They took it and rediagnosed it as needing new injectors at £1200!!!!! When I asked about the 300 paid already the response was that they were responding to the error code and therefore fixed it in good faith! b**tards.

Got my injectors reconditioned in DES in Cavan for 500 and just collected her today. Money box on wheels!

I'd a similiar problem a couple of years ago with a Fiesta - guts of £1000.

Hydraulic clutch now gone - £200
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

EC Unique

Moral of the story..... Don't buy a Ford.

gerry

Snap oneill, drive home 20 miles from work tonight with the car stuck in second gear. Thank feck i no towns to go through.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Tony Baloney

Fuel injection system goes tits up in any diesel car you are into big dough. My uncle has just forked out over a grand for a new fuel pump in his Merc.

Since having my issues I've heard about a lot of people suffering with tdci injection system. It's sickened me that much I'm thinking of shifting my car on.

ONeill

I know everyone has personal favourites, but what make is known to be relatively reliable? Toyota?

Gonna invest within a few months.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on March 09, 2010, 09:46:47 PM
I know everyone has personal favourites, but what make is known to be relatively reliable? Toyota?

What sort of dough?

Not fashionable, but I have never heard any complaints about Honda. Despite their recent troubles the people I know driving Toyota ( father in law and brother in law both drive an Avensis) have never had a minutes bother.

tyronefan

FORD

Fix Or Repair Daily    :D

Denn Forever

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 09, 2010, 09:44:53 PM
Fuel injection system goes tits up in any diesel car you are into big dough. My uncle has just forked out over a grand for a new fuel pump in his Merc.

Since having my issues I've heard about a lot of people suffering with tdci injection system. It's sickened me that much I'm thinking of shifting my car on.

Would you uncle not get a reconditioned pump from DES?  Are DES in Shercock?

Japanese car (avoid Lexus. Theres a reason that they may be cheap) are reliable but I reckon if you talk to Taxi drivers they will give you an idea of what cars are best and most reliable.  I would have said Mercedes would be very reliable and in older models you get a lot of bang for your buck.

FIAT
Fix it again Tony
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

gerry

Fiat

Fix
It
Again
Tomorrow
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

ONeill

Quote from: hardstation on March 09, 2010, 09:51:56 PM

That's the feckin job for me.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 09, 2010, 10:00:27 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 09, 2010, 09:44:53 PM

Would you uncle not get a reconditioned pump from DES?  Are DES in Shercock?

Japanese car (avoid Lexus. Theres a reason that they may be cheap) are reliable but I reckon if you talk to Taxi drivers they will give you an idea of what cars are best and most reliable.  I would have said Mercedes would be very reliable and in older models you get a lot of bang for your buck.

FIAT
Fix it again Tony
Aye DES in Shercock. Wish I had known about them before wasting 300 quid in Lindsays. I must ring my uncle right enough and ask him as he was talking about a second hand pump out of Molloys up beside me here. He lives in N Antrim.

The wife is looking a 7 seater and I might take her wagon. Anyone here driving the big bus yet? Recommendation?

RMDrive

I've had a skoda superb for the last couple of years and it's been very dependable. All the VAG brands have pretty good reputations but skoda in particular seems to be able to put cars together pretty well.

Denn Forever

The guys in DES may know someone in your uncle's area who reconditions pumps as I'd say Shercock would be a little too far.

For 7 seaters Japanese would be safeish bet. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tyrone girl

Frig im always complaining about my car but here goes.

Every time i go to start the car if it has been sitting for any length of time it starts but as it does it like seems to jump up and down, sort of rattle about for ages before it settles down, and in mornings when go to reverse it if i do that after just starting it there doesnt seem to be enough power and it cuts out. If i rev it like mad as i start it though it bes grand and it only happens if i have left the car sitting more than 5 or 6 hours without starting. Cant see it being the battery cos not long after getting new one. My da reckons its just cos its cold but im not convinced

mc_grens

Quote from: tyrone girl on March 29, 2010, 09:24:59 AM
Frig im always complaining about my car but here goes.

Every time i go to start the car if it has been sitting for any length of time it starts but as it does it like seems to jump up and down, sort of rattle about for ages before it settles down, and in mornings when go to reverse it if i do that after just starting it there doesnt seem to be enough power and it cuts out. If i rev it like mad as i start it though it bes grand and it only happens if i have left the car sitting more than 5 or 6 hours without starting. Cant see it being the battery cos not long after getting new one. My da reckons its just cos its cold but im not convinced

Timing chain getting old maybe?

What age is the car?

Had similar problem with mine and it turned out that it needed replaced. If this is indeed the case get if sorted before it breaks or you'll be in deep shit.