Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

one for the road

Quote from: small white mayoman on December 02, 2009, 05:28:02 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on December 02, 2009, 05:08:41 PM
Reality is gawa we all have a feckin nightmare keeping a car on the road....it really is a ballix

Bring back cars with less electronics and cheaper parts please

thats for sure did the nct on my car back in september cost me about 700 squid to get it through but i thought to myself happy days at least its ok for 2 years and no fear of me getting 5 points on my license low and behold i find out that i have to have it done again in january as it was not tested before in that previous 2 year period so i booked in in straight away and feck me they found a list more problems with the car that didn't show up 8 weeks ago  ??? and it going to cost me a ball more money in order for it to pass again   >:(

Are you bringing it back to the same place? That sounds like they are dipping the hand in

small white mayoman

Quote from: one for the road on December 03, 2009, 10:16:08 AM
Quote from: small white mayoman on December 02, 2009, 05:28:02 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on December 02, 2009, 05:08:41 PM
Reality is gawa we all have a feckin nightmare keeping a car on the road....it really is a ballix

Bring back cars with less electronics and cheaper parts please

thats for sure did the nct on my car back in september cost me about 700 squid to get it through but i thought to myself happy days at least its ok for 2 years and no fear of me getting 5 points on my license low and behold i find out that i have to have it done again in january as it was not tested before in that previous 2 year period so i booked in in straight away and feck me they found a list more problems with the car that didn't show up 8 weeks ago  ??? and it going to cost me a ball more money in order for it to pass again   >:(

Are you bringing it back to the same place? That sounds like they are dipping the hand in

its the same nct test centre . i asked him how come this didn't show up 8 weeks previously and he had no answer i would't mind if i had a lot more mileage done but i have only done about 800 miles. it went down on emmisions this time even though it was perfect before a money racket if you ask me >:(
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

the watcher

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 30, 2009, 11:40:05 AM
If it happens as soon as you start up it sounds like an electrical problem, i.e., if anything it should be telling you its bleeding freezing, not warning you for overheating.

there is a faulty heat sensor giving a false reading
you can get the car put on the computor £30 in any service garage on a snap on diagnostic machine and it will tell you which sensor....
then they will change the sensor.....£20        if that is what the problem only is or if the sensor is ok it means problems furture up the line      dont ignore it  as it will not go away

awideisneverasgood

Does anybody know a good auto-electrics mechanic in dungannon / armagh area?

Have a VW passat with electrical problems and the dealer wanted over £60 per hour to start "investigating" the problem.

takeyourownpath

Quote from: awideisneverasgood on January 14, 2010, 01:07:01 PM

Have a VW passat with electrical problems and the dealer wanted over £60 per hour to start "investigating" the problem.

my aunts 2 and a half year old passat has the same problems, a grand to get it fixed. lucky it's still inder warrenty. watch the abs, it goes next

Abble

Quote from: takeyourownpath on January 14, 2010, 01:12:54 PM

my aunts 2 and a half year old passat has the same problems, a grand to get it fixed. lucky it's still inder warrenty. watch the abs, it goes next

peter donnelly, first turn on left, past mcgearys big compost sheds (headin from armagh to moy direction)....300 yards up on the left...v good

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Abble on January 14, 2010, 01:15:58 PM
Quote from: takeyourownpath on January 14, 2010, 01:12:54 PM

peter donnelly, first turn on left, past mcgearys big compost sheds (headin from armagh to moy direction)....300 yards up on the left...v good
There is a mechanics out that way that Traynor's recommend - Eugene somebody (can't remember his surname) but his number is 37549972. Rang him about a problem which he couldn't fix but was good enough to put me on to another crowd that had the diagnostics gear.

Goats Do Shave

Eugene McGrail, he's a good mechanic, but Petey does the electrics.

Tony Baloney

Kelly's out by the Rock Road in Armagh do auto-electrics too if you're closer to the town. Have only ever used them once years ago and they were dead on/cheap.

maggie

Need some advice.

I got my car serviced 2 weeks ago (07 Yaris) and was told the brake pads were ok but would need replaced the next time.
Today an orange ABS light came on the dash(and stayed on)- is this something different and should i be worried about this?
I usually do 120ish miles a day so don't want it to blow up or anything on the way home  :o

Thanks in advance......................

Mario

I'm at the end of my teather with my car, This time last year i spent £300, i was getting a new timing belt put on and thought i'd get the rest of the  car serviced as well, MOT was in May, i thought it would just be a matter of putting the car through but was told i had to hand over another £250 for new exhaust, couple of tyres and something else which i can't even remember.

A month later i put bad red diesel into my car and started having injector problems, sent it to the mechanic who tried to get the injectors repaired, this was ok for a week and they went again, then i bought a new injector, this was around £300 as well. The car still wasn't going right but it went for a month or so, one Sunday i was going into the Derry SFC final and the whole engine blew.

Bought a new engine and steering pump for about £800, i know people might laugh at this, but if you own a car you can't sell it unless its fixed, its a 2004 fiesta worth about £3200-3500 according to autotrader, I couldn't afford to just lose all that money. Anyway car was going grand for a while, though i noticed some electronic problems. On Sunday I was driving to Dublin and the car battery went low, my lights went very dim, mechanic reckons the alternator is gone and a new one costs £170!

I reckon thats about £2000 i spent on a car in the last year, i bought it for £4000 in June 08, i suppose most of the main problems probably relate to the bad red diesel which i shouldn't have put in, in the first place. But doing round trips to Dublin everyweek i would save a fortune. I didn't want to change it because i kept saying to myself, i have changed every fking part in this car, its practically a new car with an old chasis, nothing more can go wrong but there is always something. Might just cut my losses now and sell it, but then i'll be into more money changing cars!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: maggie on January 22, 2010, 08:45:31 AM
Need some advice.

I got my car serviced 2 weeks ago (07 Yaris) and was told the brake pads were ok but would need replaced the next time.
Today an orange ABS light came on the dash(and stayed on)- is this something different and should i be worried about this?
I usually do 120ish miles a day so don't want it to blow up or anything on the way home  :o

Thanks in advance......................

ABS is the automatic braking system (that prevents the wheels locking when you slam on the brakes in the wet or ice, etc.), and it's possible (AFAIK) that worn pads would raise an ABS alarm (since it won't work properly if the pads are worn), though I would have expected an explicit worn brake pad warning..

I'd get the pads replaced regardless I think.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Mario on January 22, 2010, 09:12:48 AM
I'm at the end of my teather with my car...

A fecked alternator on a Fiesta, let me guess... there's almost 80,000 miles on the clock?

haveaharp

If you were driving an 04 motor with 52000k on the clock would you bother going to the dealer to get it serviced ? Its got the full service history up to now but i reckon its not worth continuing with the dealer when i can get it serviced for half the price at a local garage.
What do you think ? Car would be worth about 3k

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: haveaharp on January 22, 2010, 09:40:13 AM
If you were driving an 04 motor with 52000k on the clock would you bother going to the dealer to get it serviced ? Its got the full service history up to now but i reckon its not worth continuing with the dealer when i can get it serviced for half the price at a local garage.
What do you think ? Car would be worth about 3k

As long as the local garage was reputable enough I'd be inclined to get it serviced there, since it wouldn't really have much impact on the sale value were you to sell.