Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on September 05, 2009, 02:31:08 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 05, 2009, 02:26:47 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on September 05, 2009, 02:22:03 PM
Actually just checked,the s40 is the saloon the v40 is the estate....s40 it is then..

i allways like the audi in fact if i had a few bob i'd buy the a4 cabriolet ( don't hold that against me LL :D ) i like the s40 i know what your saying about vovlos been boring but they are a fine bus a friend of mine has one and has only good things to say about them i don't think they hold their value as well as the audi .He bought his in england top spec and saved himself a fortune

Yeah was thinking of going up north or to England,only thing is we would have to get rid of her car as I'm sure they won't take a Irish reg trade in up north..
It is a '04 206...Anyone wanna buy it?

I give you a tenner
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 05, 2009, 02:37:03 PM
Actually just checked,the s40 is the saloon the v40 is the estate....s40 it is then..

i allways like the audi in fact if i had a few bob i'd buy the a4 cabriolet ( don't hold that against me LL :D ) i like the s40 i know what your saying about vovlos been boring but they are a fine bus a friend of mine has one and has only good things to say about them i don't think they hold their value as well as the audi .He bought his in england top spec and saved himself a fortune

Yeah was thinking of going up north or to England,only thing is we would have to get rid of her car as I'm sure they won't take a Irish reg trade in up north..

I give you a tenner

You'll Never Walk Alone.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on September 05, 2009, 03:35:29 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 05, 2009, 02:37:03 PM

I give you a tenner

great will you throw in 20 yo yo's luck money and a fill of petrol and i'll take it off your hands LL
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

BenDover

Bit of advice please lads - woke up this morning to find the hazard lights on my partners renault clio 1.2 flashing away like a good one, put the key in the ignition and tried to start it but nothing then tried to do a rolling start from the driveway but still nothing. I'm thinking that the battery is flat but i was telling someone else about this and they've mentioned the immobiliser might be on, anyone else any ideas?

Mario

Sounds like the immobiliser to me. Get the manual out and see how you reset it.

Aerlik

If anyone here has, or knows someone who has a 'AH" model (2005 onwards) Astra be advised of what happened to a friend's car recently.  When I went to start it, all the normal ignition lights came on but the service light started flashing.  I thought it was the transponder in the key, but as it was an automatic, I couldn't push start it.  I had to have it towed to the dealer who diagnosed a failed computer.  It is a very rare occurrence but a bloody expensive one.  It cost $A750 (including tow fees) for a tiny wee piece.  Not a happy owner.  Thank feck it wasn't mine.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Rois

Glad this topic has come up.

I have a 2-year old VW Eos still under warranty.  The service light has come on, as it's just past the two year mark in the last couple of weeks.  The VW dealership I got it though will charge me an arm and a leg - what do I need to look for in a random mechanic that will mean my warranty is protected for a smaller service fee?  Does he have to have a special VW approval or something?

Aerlik

Not 100% sure if a "random mechanic" is authorised to do so, but ring around some of the bigger service centres.  They should be able to service it without invalidating the warranty.  Be sure to get a WRITTEN quotation of all that they plan to do, so that you don't get a nasty surprise.

Also, make sure that if they find something extra needs done, you get a call and preferably an email from them BEFORE they lift a spanner.  CYA, cover your arse.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

one for the road

for the last 3 mornings when ever i start the car (2004 seat) the temperature light coomes on and it bleeps twice, I have checked the coolant level and it seems fine. Is there anything else I should look at or should I just get someone to look at it?

Fear ón Srath Bán

If it happens as soon as you start up it sounds like an electrical problem, i.e., if anything it should be telling you its bleeding freezing, not warning you for overheating.

Does the warning light go off shortly after driving away?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

one for the road

if i turn the car off after a few minutes and restart it the light doesnt come on

Fear ón Srath Bán

So you need to turn the car off to get the light to go away without returning?

The key (no pun intended) thing here is, that if the light comes on shortly after you start up when there's no chance that the coolant could have reached an overheated temperature, then it sounds like there's a problem with the temperature probe (or circuitry), where it's giving you a false positive.

And if the warning light goes off after you switch off, and doesn't return, that would tend to support the faulty electricals theory.

Does the temperature gauge show a high reading when the warning light comes on?

one for the road

No the hand doesnt move, it will rise slowly after driving for a while which is normal and just stays at the halfway mark.

It sounds like a fault but I have looked into it and it doesnt seem to be a common fault

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: one for the road on November 30, 2009, 12:28:15 PM
No the hand doesnt move, it will rise slowly after driving for a while which is normal and just stays at the halfway mark.

It sounds like a fault but I have looked into it and it doesnt seem to be a common fault

Yes, I'd say there's an electrical issue there, and by their nature they are not necessarily common. It seems the colder weather has exposed this problem.

It won't cause you any running issues, and won't interfere with the running of the car, so there's no great urgency to get it sorted, but you should see about getting it fixed.

one for the road