Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

Decided last month to start putting red diesel in the car, i was doing a good few miles and i knew a couple of others doing it, i reckoned i would save the fine in 10 months if caught. Anyway second time ever putting it in and black smoke starts coming out of the engine, turns out it was dirty red diesel, car has been in the mechanics 5 weeks and still isn't fixed. >:(

Tyrones own

Quote from: Mario on August 30, 2009, 11:00:49 PM
Decided last month to start putting red diesel in the car, i was doing a good few miles and i knew a couple of others doing it, i reckoned i would save the fine in 10 months if caught. Anyway second time ever putting it in and black smoke starts coming out of the engine, turns out it was dirty red diesel, car has been in the mechanics 5 weeks and still isn't fixed. >:(

Time for a new mechanic Mario.... he's obviously throwing darts at it at this stage, my guess is that what you thought was red
is probably some concoction of pariffin or the like.
Is the symptom just black smoke or is there a drive ability issue to go with it?
I know I'd be going and picking it up tomorrow, change the fuel filter, fill it to the neck with clear diesel, and don't be at all surprised if the problem
goes away in 10 minutes!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Mac hinery

lift the car, fill her with clear and a double jag of Redex diesel treatment to clear out the pipes

Mickey Linden

Anyone any idea how much it would cost to replace a clutch cable on a renualt megane? I believe most of the cost will be in labour?

Mario

An update from my last post, car still isn't going, the mechanic thought it needed 1 new fuel injector, which he got at a price of £170, turns out it needs 3 more new ones. I can't afford to pay that money for 3 more. Looking at breakers yards for 2nd hand ones. Seriously pissed off at this stage, been in the mechanics about 5/6 weeks. I can't just scrap it because i have too big a loan out on the car, so i need to get it fixed to at least sell it on.

So if anyone has fuel injectors knocking about for a Diesel Fiesta let me know!

theskull1

Agree with tyrones own. Regardless of what colour you got, the fuel you got was most likely dirty, had water in it or it was loaded with parafin (reduced lubrication of your injectors) if you have to change all 4 injectors. Could you get a sample of the fuel in your tank and get it tested? Does anybody know how/where this could be carried out?

Real Biddy has more lubricant than clear low sulphur city diesel, so it is actually better for injector wear.....so I've heard...which makes sense considering the very expensive farm equipment that needs to run on the stuff
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Denn Forever

turns out it was dirty red diesel, car has been in the mechanics 5 weeks and still isn't fixed. >:(

Have you tried other mechanics?  If it has taken 5 weeks to tell you your injectors are f..ked it doesn't sound as if your mechanic knows a lot or doesn't have the equipment to check injectors.

Did you tell all when you bought it in?  Red diesel works well enough in tractors and I would imagine that current tractor engines wouldn't be or a lower standard than a car.

Do you know anybody who doesn't work in a garage but is good with cars/does their own servicing?  Talk to them about the car and see what they think.  They may also know a good breakers yard where you might get some injectors. If you go down that route, ask the breakers yard can you see the engine that they come from running or maybe get a guarantee.

Best of luck.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Cúig huaire

Quote from: Mario on September 02, 2009, 05:49:57 PM
An update from my last post, car still isn't going, the mechanic thought it needed 1 new fuel injector, which he got at a price of £170, turns out it needs 3 more new ones. I can't afford to pay that money for 3 more. Looking at breakers yards for 2nd hand ones. Seriously pissed off at this stage, been in the mechanics about 5/6 weeks. I can't just scrap it because i have too big a loan out on the car, so i need to get it fixed to at least sell it on.

So if anyone has fuel injectors knocking about for a Diesel Fiesta let me know!

What year is the fiesta? You`ll pick up a second hand engine for that money. Ring round the breakers tomorrow, you`ll get plenty of numbers in the salvage section of the Autotrader.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

Rois

Trying to find the AUX-IN thingy in my car.  It's a VW Eos.  I have looked in the book and it says it's in the glove compartment but for the life of me I can't find it.
Any VW drivers who know where it might be, or is it likely to be definately in there and I am just missing it?  Though I am sure I've looked everywhere inside it and tried sticking the iphone connector in every possible crevice. 

Cúig huaire

You may need an Aux In Adaptor, if its something like an ipod you are trying to connect. The connection itself is usually just a little hole, for want of a better term, though it should be clearly marked. I will find out exactly where it is for you tomorrow, or alternatively ring the dealer you bought the car from.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

Tyrones own

Quote from: Rois on September 02, 2009, 11:01:33 PM
Trying to find the AUX-IN thingy in my car.  It's a VW Eos.  I have looked in the book and it says it's in the glove compartment but for the life of me I can't find it.
Any VW drivers who know where it might be, or is it likely to be definately in there and I am just missing it?  Though I am sure I've looked everywhere inside it and tried sticking the iphone connector in every possible crevice.

Rois, I believe it's a little 2.5mm Jack your looking for, if my memory serves me it's in the center console but I think the lad above is right
you'll need an adapter for the iphone.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Rois

Yeah, have the adaptor but can't find the hole (sounds wrong!).  I have looked all around but must be missing it somewhere.  I've googled it but no joy.  If you can help cuig huaire, I'd really appreciate it, otherwise my good friend at Donnelly's will be getting a call. 

botman

If you put in some Green diesel, then a spoonful of marmite and wee taste of waste oil, it will clean her up lovely. Run the old 205 on this mix, great stuff altogether.
Keep them at it.

Donagh

The bird at the end of the street called out the AA to her house the other morning when she got a flat on her wee Audi Coupe. Then stood over yer man with her arms folded while he changed with the wheel. Some people shouldn't be allowed on the roads.

orangeman

Quote from: Donagh on September 03, 2009, 12:28:18 PM
The bird at the end of the street called out the AA to her house the other morning when she got a flat on her wee Audi Coupe. Then stood over yer man with her arms folded while he changed with the wheel. Some people shouldn't be allowed on the roads.

Could you not have given her a hand with the change ?  ;)