Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Donagh on May 15, 2009, 01:50:43 PM
Some b**tard keyed my car (05 Passat, metallic silver) the other night in Belfast. The scrape itself is about 8 inches of which half of that is down to the metal. Anything I can do myself to fix it or at least do a good patch up?
Feel for you. Some **** did the same to my car a few years back and managed to scratch both doors on the drivers side. Hanging by the scrotum would be too good for them. I tried various over the shelf solutions eg t cut etc but I'm afraid a re spray is your only man - 100-150 per door depending where you go.

maddog

Any motoring experts know the answer to this one ?

Last couple of mornings ive noticed liquid running out from under the car when i get out to go into the office. Usually id be sat outside for about 5 mins before id go in as the missus then takes the car onto her office. Anyway when i got home last night i had a look underneath and there is nothing dripping when the car isnt on. Then i noticed when i started it up that there is what looks like a metal strip with little holes all along it, this would be bang in the middle of the car under where your handbrake would sit. There was liquid dripping off both ends of it so i caught some in a tin and it seemed to be water (the old dip finger technique). Then i noticed when i switched off the aircon but left the car running it stopped dripping. Could it be something to do with aircon leaking or is it because its 31c at the minute and its a build up of condensation. Any ideas ?

Tony Baloney

Check your coolant levels in radiator and if okay then I'd say is a/c but I'm far from an expert.

EC Unique

Totally normal with AC. It is condensation as you say.

tyronefan

The ac will do this. It is not water leaking out but must just be condensation. Happens on all cars when the ac is on

maddog

Quote from: tyronefan on July 02, 2009, 09:21:13 AM
The ac will do this. It is not water leaking out but must just be condensation. Happens on all cars when the ac is on

Id never noticed it before, must be just because its working overtime. Hope thats the case anyway.

theskull1

Yeah in this weather it will be more noticeable
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

fitzroyalty

the brother in all his wisdom accidentally put heating oil in the car instead of diesel. He only put in £2 worth before he twigged on,then put £8 diesel in. Will the diesel that was already in the tank and the extra diesel he put in be enough to dilute the heatin oil and prevent any potential damage?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: fitzroyalty on August 30, 2009, 05:16:33 PM
the brother in all his wisdom accidentally put heating oil in the car instead of diesel. He only put in £2 worth before he twigged on,then put £8 diesel in. Will the diesel that was already in the tank and the extra diesel he put in be enough to dilute the heatin oil and prevent any potential damage?

Jaysus, I never heard of anyone doing that before. I'd play it safe if I was you and bring it to a garage to be drained as I'd imagine the heating oil will float on top of the diesel and when it gets low it will get into the engine.

Tyrones own

That amount will cause no problems other than a bit more smoke for a day or two...just fill her with diesel and on ye go.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

tyrone girl

Wouldnt have a clue but dont think that amount would be enough to cause any real damage. I drive on kerosene and diesel all the time but it does mine no harm, whats kerosene suposed to be used for anyway?

joebloggs

I have a Mk V golf and the glass on the drivers wing mirror is broken and bits of the glass have come off. How much is it for a new piece of glass and do i need to get a special part if my mirrors are heated or is it just a matter of sticking new glass over whats there?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: joebloggs on August 30, 2009, 07:56:43 PM
I have a Mk V golf and the glass on the drivers wing mirror is broken and bits of the glass have come off. How much is it for a new piece of glass and do i need to get a special part if my mirrors are heated or is it just a matter of sticking new glass over whats there?

If you go to VW they'll probably want €300 - €400 for the whole unit. If you go to a scrap yard you might get the whole unit for half that or if you are lucky they might sell you the glass with heating element. You could just get a bit of glass cut and stick it in but of course if wouldn't be heated (unless you could remove the element from the old mirror and reuse)

fitzroyalty

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 30, 2009, 06:18:54 PM

Jaysus, I never heard of anyone doing that before. I'd play it safe if I was you and bring it to a garage to be drained as I'd imagine the heating oil will float on top of the diesel and when it gets low it will get into the engine.
The pump was black, and was in the middle of the forcourt  ???  easy mistake to make, it was in S.Armagh though, probably explains why. Probably fill it up tomorrow and hope for the best!

Mac hinery

Won't be a problem if he only put that amount in. As stated, might be a bit smokey but otherwise no real problems.  The yanks during the war used kerosene for their diesel engines.  There is more lubricants in the diesel at the pumps than in kerosene/heating oil and the yanks had a ratio for lubricant to kerosene mix to keep their diesel engines running.