Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

Quick question, car is due for MOT in a couple of weeks and the service due light has just came on. I had no plans to service the car before the MOT.  Would the service warning light have any impact at all on the MOT? I'm assuming not.

oakleaflad

Quote from: lurganblue on February 15, 2019, 02:51:44 PM
Quick question, car is due for MOT in a couple of weeks and the service due light has just came on. I had no plans to service the car before the MOT.  Would the service warning light have any impact at all on the MOT? I'm assuming not.
Same thing happened myself last year or year before and it passed so i'd guess you're safe enough.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: lurganblue on February 15, 2019, 02:51:44 PM

Had the same issue a few years back and it passed. As long as the warning light does not indicate that it would affect the performance of the car.

lurganblue

BennyCake

Noticing a strange noise when gently braking. Sounds like something sliding underneath the engine area. Like a metal plate or something. I can feel it under my feet. Kind of reminds me of the noise you'd get if you hadn't just put the car in gear properly, and it slips out again.

I don't get this noise if I have to brake harder. It's only really when I'm turning or slowly approaching junctions etc.

Brakes working fine. As is the gearbox. Any ideas?

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: BennyCake on February 26, 2019, 06:14:30 PM
Noticing a strange noise when gently braking. Sounds like something sliding underneath the engine area. Like a metal plate or something. I can feel it under my feet. Kind of reminds me of the noise you'd get if you hadn't just put the car in gear properly, and it slips out again.

I don't get this noise if I have to brake harder. It's only really when I'm turning or slowly approaching junctions etc.

I have my car in the "shop" right now and this sounds similar to my problem.

Can you hear it or feel it when turning to a certain side or both?
My car's Wheel Bearing Assembly was shot in the driver front and rear passenger sides. Parts are not too expensive but the labor is, because if they "do it right"  the assembly has to be pressed into the spindle on the rear and the whole wheel "area" has to be removed. Thankfully my brother is a mechanic.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

BennyCake

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on February 26, 2019, 06:52:04 PM

My car's Wheel Bearing Assembly was shot in the driver front and rear passenger sides. Parts are not too expensive but the labor is, because if they "do it right"  the assembly has to be pressed into the spindle on the rear and the whole wheel "area" has to be removed. Thankfully my brother is a mechanic.

I usually hear it when gently braking, No matter if car is straight or wheels slightly turned left or right.

Is it a major problem or a danger to continue driving? As I said, gearbox and brakes working fine. I just thought maybe something underneath was loose.

GJL

Quote from: BennyCake on February 26, 2019, 07:01:03 PM
Quote from: DrinkingHarp on February 26, 2019, 06:52:04 PM

I usually hear it when gently braking, No matter if car is straight or wheels slightly turned left or right.

Is it a major problem or a danger to continue driving? As I said, gearbox and brakes working fine. I just thought maybe something underneath was loose.

Brake pads getting low or disks getting rough and need replaced?? Look at the simple things first..

David McKeown

My mechanic recently told me the timing chain in my engine was about to go at 37k miles less than a month after the warranty ended. Audi quoted me £4500 to fix it but as a gesture of good will would reduce that to £4200 as I had a full service history with them. Portadown Audi offered to do it for free but only if I took out a warranty package £1800.

Charles Hurst who I bought the car off as a gesture of good will offered to do it for free. Not often I get impressed by dealers but fair play to Charles Hurst on this one.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

whitey

Quote from: David McKeown on February 26, 2019, 09:42:37 PM
My mechanic recently told me the timing chain in my engine was about to go at 37k miles less than a month after the warranty ended. Audi quoted me £4500 to fix it but as a gesture of good will would reduce that to £4200 as I had a full service history with them. Portadown Audi offered to do it for free but only if I took out a warranty package £1800.

Charles Hurst who I bought the car off as a gesture of good will offered to do it for free. Not often I get impressed by dealers but fair play to Charles Hurst on this one.

How the hell did the timing chain go in a car with 37K miles?

Solo_run

Is it an a3 by any chance?

David McKeown

Quote from: whitey on February 27, 2019, 12:56:49 AM

That was exactly my point to Audi. The mechanic told me it was the second one he had that week with a timing chain issue at 40k miles.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

GJL

Quote from: David McKeown on February 27, 2019, 04:08:54 AM

That was exactly my point to Audi. The mechanic told me it was the second one he had that week with a timing chain issue at 40k miles.

Has to be a serious design fault. Timing chains should be good for at least 200k if not the life time of the car!. Maybe the tensioner is failing?

whitey

So I would assume you took it in for all scheduled services at the dealership if it was under warranty

I don't know much about timing chains, but could they not have picked up in it before the warranty ran out

My dealership went through my car with a fine tooth comb on the service before the warranty expired. It's the warranty company that's in the hook for any repairs, not the dealership, so the mechanics have a vested interest in finding problems (at least that's how it works in the states)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: GJL on February 27, 2019, 09:19:45 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on February 27, 2019, 04:08:54 AM

Has to be a serious design fault. Timing chains should be good for at least 200k if not the life time of the car!. Maybe the tensioner is failing?
I have an Avensis with 90k on it and I thought the timing belt was due a replacement but I can't find any clear information either online or in the manual. I think it is a chain rather than a belt. Had to replace the timing belt kit in the wife's motor last month so would rather not pay for another this month!