Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on December 27, 2018, 10:40:16 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on December 27, 2018, 08:20:14 AM
Quote from: marty34 on December 24, 2018, 08:31:33 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on December 24, 2018, 07:37:47 PM

Without being specific to the model......Your first stop would normally be the thermostat
If the engine is heating up normally on the gauge and its only the heater blowing cool air you likely have an airlock, your coolant system may also be blocked

Yeah, seems cool all the time. No heat at all...ever after 30mins of driving.

If engine is not heating on the gauge it's most likely your thermostat.
Btw unlikely anything to do with air con. Not impossible that the cabin thermostat might be wonky but fairly unlikely

I've a 2006 Audi A4 doing the same thing, bit frosty the odd time, but no biggie.

Thermostat is a pig to get ot although the engine temperature gauge looks fine, so might have to wait till it's in for a service to get it looked at.

A lot of online forums believe the heat exchanger into the bulk head may need flushed out....

Yeah, hard to know. A few different ideas on here too. I'll get mechanic to check it out when I drop it in to him in the New Year.

macdanger2

Quote from: marty34 on December 27, 2018, 01:27:30 PM

Without being specific to the model......Your first stop would normally be the thermostat
If the engine is heating up normally on the gauge and its only the heater blowing cool air you likely have an airlock, your coolant system may also be blocked

Btw unlikely anything to do with air con. Not impossible that the cabin thermostat might be wonky but fairly unlikely

I've a 2006 Audi A4 doing the same thing, bit frosty the odd time, but no biggie.

Thermostat is a pig to get ot although the engine temperature gauge looks fine, so might have to wait till it's in for a service to get it looked at.

A lot of online forums believe the heat exchanger into the bulk head may need flushed out....

Yeah, hard to know. A few different ideas on here too. I'll get mechanic to check it out when I drop it in to him in the New Year.

Easy to check if the thermostat is working or not - run the car for 5-10 mins, feel the water pipes either side of the thermostat, both should be hot if it's working. If one side isn't hot, the thermostat is jammed (i.e. Hot water isn't passing through) and needs replacing.

omaghjoe

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 29, 2018, 02:29:11 AM
Quote from: marty34 on December 27, 2018, 01:27:30 PM

Easy to check if the thermostat is working or not - run the car for 5-10 mins, feel the water pipes either side of the thermostat, both should be hot if it's working. If one side isn't hot, the thermostat is jammed (i.e. Hot water isn't passing through) and needs replacing.

Thermostats usually jam open for safety. If they jam closed it's good night for the engine. So In other words the hoses on either side of the thermostat will always be at the same temperature no matter how hot or cold the engine us

So to check for it see if the temp gauge heats up to temp during normal driving

Thermostat is the first port of call for trobuleshooting with these symptoms but it could just as handy be a blockage as suggestted.

toby47

Quick Question -

Think my daughters 2010 ford fiesta needs a new clutch.

How much can I expect this to cost?

general

Parts and Labour...450 wouldnt be far off

toby47

Quote from: general on January 03, 2019, 09:55:40 AM
Parts and Labour...450 wouldnt be far off

Lovely Jubbly.

Cheers!

general

I feel your pain, 2 tyres, 2 x shocks required for upcoming mot. the joy of living on country roads

snoopdog

2008 hyundai santa fe. Ignition is quite loose and can take a few seconds to start. It can turn straight to start. Is this a sign of an ignition switch failing? Or would it be the whole barrell failing?

Olly

How far can you go on zero petrol, as in the dashboard is saying zero?

I'd appreciate if someone could answer this quickly.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Newbridge Exile

Done about 10 miles one time on zero fuel indicator

Aristo 60

You will be ok for another few miles yet provided you are in an electric or diesel yoke

general_lee

Anyone any experience of getting money off roads service for damage caused by potholes? Have heard it's a bit of a handlin, is it worth the hassle?

delgany

Get a photo of the pothole asap for your evidence.
There is a form to fill in and that's about it.
RS contested mine because it was in a development otherwise it is straightforward enough

marty34

Quote from: general_lee on January 05, 2019, 12:14:50 PM
Anyone any experience of getting money off roads service for damage caused by potholes? Have heard it's a bit of a handlin, is it worth the hassle?

GL, i had the forms filled out and took photos of the pothole etc.  It was the time of the bad snow/frost last year and all the roads were poor.  The only thing is that the car was still in my brother's name. I bought it off him but it wasn't transferred over to me.  It was taxed and MOT's etc.  Anyway, if doing it, I remember you had to fill out a form with all the details, draw a wee picture of where it happened and as I say, take photos and have the tyre receipt.  Maybe something where you go on-line and log a report where it happened and you get a reference no.iirc.

laoislad

Brand new car fail 🙈
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.