Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

The persistence of archaic coolant system designs that consistently fail in motor vehicles bugs my shite.

Electric pump, electric fan, do away with the thermostat. Vary the speed of pump dependant on coolant temperature (you could even factor in ambient and car speed if you want to get really fancy)
Cars will heat up faster, cool down quicker and you have to have to worry about an engine overheating when its not even running, you could possibly even do away with fan and radiator if you do your sums right by incorporating a simple & strategically placed heat exchanger into the block

Over the Bar

Quote from: DickyRock on October 26, 2017, 06:25:32 PM
Cheers General lee. Got an email the other day.

QuoteThank you for your communication regarding the above case.
On behalf of the relevant Issuing Organisation, we are pleased to confirm that due to the circumstances of this particular case, the Notice has been cancelled.
However, EPC reserves the right to re-issue the notice should it be proven that the representation was accepted in error, or evidence is presented which contradicts the facts stated in the original representation.

Will see if they come back with a late payment fine. It did answer my question I had though from a few months back 🙈

Quote from: DickyRock on July 11, 2017, 10:55:42 PM
Has anyone in the North ever got a request for payment after not paying the M50 toll? If you did, what did you do?

I've ignored them, but being the cautious sort looked into it.  Apparently the requests for payment cannot be enforced up Naarth, but they could potentially hit you when you head back to Mexico  but it would take a bailiff/debt recovery agency to impound your yoke, if they decided to appoint one to watch out for you which is as unlikely as Liverpool winning the Premier League this year.   

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: omaghjoe on October 26, 2017, 06:42:22 PM
The persistence of archaic coolant system designs that consistently fail in motor vehicles bugs my shite.

Electric pump, electric fan, do away with the thermostat. Vary the speed of pump dependant on coolant temperature (you could even factor in ambient and car speed if you want to get really fancy)
Cars will heat up faster, cool down quicker and you have to have to worry about an engine overheating when its not even running, you could possibly even do away with fan and radiator if you do your sums right by incorporating a simple & strategically placed heat exchanger into the block

The coolant system is a heat transfer system
The rate of heat transfer is dictated by water pumps that is geared to cater for  heat generation at a given RPM to reach a radiator exposed to Cool air
With cylinder combust temps upwards of 600 degrees it's feat of engineering to keep them cooled
Charge air coolers assist most cooling systems now as well
I think your trying to recreate the wheel here
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

giveherlong

2006 VW Jetta 1.9 PD engine
Using coolant and only blowing cold air

Tried a number of things:
New water pump
Flushed heating matrix
Put in a bottle of the £30 gasket sealant

All to no avail

There are no water leaks and I think the coolant is blowing back out over the overflow
After the engine heats up and you switch off and open coolant bottle- there is serious pressure and coolant floods back in again

Any ideas what it could be. Hopefully not a head gasket

GJL

Sounds very like the head gasket. Is there oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil?

giveherlong

Quote from: GJL on January 28, 2018, 02:54:13 PM
Sounds very like the head gasket. Is there oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil?

No coolant or oil mixing either way. U ever come across my issue on the 1.9 PD engines?

GJL

Quote from: giveherlong on January 28, 2018, 09:20:53 PM
Quote from: GJL on January 28, 2018, 02:54:13 PM

No coolant or oil mixing either way. U ever come across my issue on the 1.9 PD engines?

I have not but that said it could still be head gasket. Take off the lid and fill to the top. Run the engine cold and see if there are bubbles coming up. If there are it shows that compression is escaping the cylinder and getting into the coolant system.

trueblue1234

Not a problem as such. But does anyone know a company who can ship cars from England to NI for a reasonable price? Tried online but some serious charges been quoted.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

GJL

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 01, 2018, 09:12:45 PM
Not a problem as such. But does anyone know a company who can ship cars from England to NI for a reasonable price? Tried online but some serious charges been quoted.

Should be around £250 - £300 depending on where it is. PM me if you want a name and number of who I use.

trileacman

Looking to buy a people carrier/ suv. Any suggestions?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

BenDover

Quote from: trileacman on March 05, 2018, 01:53:27 AM
We've a Ford S-Max, three full seats in the back for car seats, and the two seats in the back are a decent size as well when they're up.

paddyjohn

Quote from: trileacman on March 05, 2018, 01:53:27 AM

I bought the Mrs a 2010 VW Touran. Great bus

tyrone girl

Someone help me out. Torn between buying an automatic and manual. Really really want an automatic but the counterpart in manual is good bit cheaper and seem to be lot better on fuel. Need to make a decision basically by the end of today. Anyone guide me in the right direction?

GJL

Quote from: tyrone girl on March 05, 2018, 10:09:41 AM
Someone help me out. Torn between buying an automatic and manual. Really really want an automatic but the counterpart in manual is good bit cheaper and seem to be lot better on fuel. Need to make a decision basically by the end of today. Anyone guide me in the right direction?

Depends on your annual mileage? What type of car is it?

maddog

Hi GJL - any ideas on how to stop the fan on a VW passat from squealing. On settings 1 and 2 it squeals some of the time but when you turn it up to 3 and 4 it stops. Guess something wants oiling ? Is it something that would be hard to get at ?