Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fitzroyalty

Quote from: hardstation on August 21, 2012, 08:30:28 PM
How did you manage that, Fitzroyalty? Texting or fcukin about with the radio?

There are no two ways about this - he's putting in for a whipper. We all have to buy bread.
I was trying to open my tin of special brew if you must know.

supersarsfields

From experience I'd agree with Hardstation. Worked in Insurance for 5 years, and part of it covering Belfast. The % of claims were there was no Personal injury was nearly Zero regardless of the level of impact. So I'd be expecting a "nice" letter in the post from a solicitor informing you of your negligence.

Was there any passengers involved?

fitzroyalty

Quote from: supersarsfields on August 22, 2012, 03:46:43 PM
From experience I'd agree with Hardstation. Worked in Insurance for 5 years, and part of it covering Belfast. The % of claims were there was no Personal injury was nearly Zero regardless of the level of impact. So I'd be expecting a "nice" letter in the post from a solicitor informing you of your negligence.

No passengers involved. That's what I'm now expecting. What are my options, for when this letter comes, level of impact was less than what you'd get at the bumper cars in Portrush.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 02, 2011, 04:01:04 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 02, 2011, 02:48:20 PM
At MOT centre now! Hateful place. Not looking good
You never told us what the issue with the car was?

The problem was the Thermostat sensor, and the wiring around it had corroded. Cost £40 for diagnostics and 55 for labour and parts.

Had another problem there and it was the ABS sensor picking up a fault and automatically bring on the ABS ffs, it was picking up a crack on part of brakes. Diagnostics cost £48 and parts/labour £50.

Would make a right few pound on buying one of those diagnostic computers!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

supersarsfields

Quote from: fitzroyalty on August 22, 2012, 06:13:52 PM
Quote from: supersarsfields on August 22, 2012, 03:46:43 PM

No passengers involved. That's what I'm now expecting. What are my options, for when this letter comes, level of impact was less than what you'd get at the bumper cars in Portrush.

Just keep an eye out to see if you only receive the one letter. You'll prob get one claiming for Personal injury and property damage. Too be honest there's not much you can do. You could try TYP's suggestion but I wouldn't advise it. Firstly the insurance company will ask how the third party managed to get your Reg and personal details (I'm assuming you swapped details when it happened) Secondly they'll look to assess both vehicles so if there is any paint transfer, even the smallest amount on either vehicle you'll be fecked. and if there is a mark, no matter how small on the TD vehicle they'll do the measurements of the height of your bumber etc to see if it matches up. And if it does you'll find most insurance companies won't take the risk of putting it in front of a judge. And with the No win no fee solicitors these days the third party will be happy to run it the whole way.

Puckoon

If you get dinged for personal injury there's a bunch of physiotherapists from Mayo direction who can do all sorts of equations regarding angles, torque etc and most likely provide definitive evidence guaranteeing you total absolution. They can do it in a matter of seconds too, mighty job.  :)

Olly

If your fuel gauge is showing critical and you have about 5 miles to go to get to a petrol shop, does freewheeling help ie getting there by picking massive hills and trying not to use the breaks after you've hit the peak - or does freewheeling (ie neutral eg) not make a difference?

Also, if there are no hills, is it best to drive in first, second, third, fourth or fifth to the petrol place?
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Abble

I've just discovered the car has a broken front spring on the passenger side. is it still safe to drive for a few days until i can get it booked in with my mechanic ?

Last Man

Should be ok but take it easy over the bumps or you could dislodge it and put it through the tyre.

Denn Forever

Quote from: Abble on February 03, 2013, 02:51:08 PM
I've just discovered the car has a broken front spring on the passenger side. is it still safe to drive for a few days until i can get it booked in with my mechanic ?

When you say spring, do you mean Shock Absorber?  If it is the shock absorber, you should be alright for a few days.  Just be careful and go slow.  No Motorways.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Abble

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 03, 2013, 05:16:52 PM
Quote from: Abble on February 03, 2013, 02:51:08 PM

When you say spring, do you mean Shock Absorber?  If it is the shock absorber, you should be alright for a few days.  Just be careful and go slow.  No Motorways.

i think its the coil spring which maybe sits outside the shock ? but it sits well above the tyre so i might be able to chance a short trip tomorrow ? theres not a chance i'd motorway this. I'll get it into the mechanic on tuesday.

Denn Forever

Ring your mechanic in case he needs to order them in.  Also, he may suggest that you replace the spring on the other side.  If it failed due to wear tear, it may be prudent to replace both sides.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Abble

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 03, 2013, 08:30:10 PM
Ring your mechanic in case he needs to order them in.  Also, he may suggest that you replace the spring on the other side.  If it failed due to wear tear, it may be prudent to replace both sides.

Thanks D.F.  :)

WeeDonns

Get the spring yourself

I broke the bottom coil of a coil spring a few years ago and Charles Hurst in Belfast were going to charge me something like £56 for the spring alone! I called in at Traynors in Moy and got one for £9 and my cousin who was working in a Tyre place at the time replaced it in about 5mins

tbrick18

Apparantly the cold weather is to blame for a lot of springs breaking!
A front spring is dangerous enough, it could go through the tyre, or it could damage your braking system by damaging brake pipes etc.
Either way I wouldnt chance it too much. Apart from the additional cost of more damage, you could finish up in a ditch or worse.