Next Laois football manager

Started by SCFC, July 30, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrimtain

It is disappointing enough for John Sugrue to resign his position as Laois football manager, but for him to join O'Connor's team, would be, for me, extremely disillusioning. I would feel stupid for having put so much faith in what I believed he was trying to do over the past two years for Laois football. Living and working in Laois, I genuinely believed he had the best interest of Laois football at heart. I also believed he was the best thing to happen to Laois since Micko. He is free to do what he likes, but I sincerely hope he does not join O'Connor's team.

This may sound pathetic, but is it too late for us to go cap in hand to him, give him what he wants and ask him to reconsider and return to his position of Laois football manager?

Could what he was looking for have been so outrgeous that the CB could not concede to his wishes?

The CB cannot come out of this saga well. But maybe they don't give a damn.

les Antiques

There is absolutely no substance to the rumour of Sugrue joining
up with with JOC . Where these stories get started are bemusing.

Countyminor

Lots of insiders were happy to see Sugrue go. That's the reality. There will be no going back begging for him to come back. A man with his intelligence, demeanour and nous was a threat to them. John's the kind of person who will be successful wherever he goes. It doesn't matter who we appoint next because whoever it is will not give to Laois what John Sugrue did.

Chrimtain

Quote from: Countyminor on August 14, 2019, 05:48:45 PM
Lots of insiders were happy to see Sugrue go. That's the reality. There will be no going back begging for him to come back. A man with his intelligence, demeanour and nous was a threat to them. John's the kind of person who will be successful wherever he goes. It doesn't matter who we appoint next because whoever it is will not give to Laois what John Sugrue did.

Why on earth should they feel threatened by John Sugrue's success? Surely his achievements couldn't but reflect well on the CB? I just don't get this? Were they also threatened by Cheddar's success?

Should anyone considering applying to take Sugrue's job stress during the interviewing process that they are not overly ambitious for Laois football?

Giovanni

Quote from: Chrimtain on August 14, 2019, 05:11:54 PM

This may sound pathetic, but is it too late for us to go cap in hand to him, give him what he wants and ask him to reconsider and return to his position of Laois football manager?

Could what he was looking for have been so outrgeous that the CB could not concede to his wishes?

I don't think this is pathetic at all. If there is any window of opportunity to convince him to stay on, they should use it. There are some good young players coming through and it's very important that there's someome like him at the helm.

High Fielder

Quote from: les Antiques on August 14, 2019, 05:39:45 PM
There is absolutely no substance to the rumour of Sugrue joining
up with with JOC . Where these stories get started are bemusing.

I guess when you're treated like mushrooms (kept in the dark and fed shite) you'll get this sort of speculation. You seem to know. Others seem to know. But the rest of us don't. And our money is as good as anyone else's when we're asked to support Laois GAA.

High Fielder

I find this unbelievable. Are you taking the piss?

on the hop

Quote from: High Fielder on August 14, 2019, 06:31:30 PM

I find this unbelievable. Are you taking the piss?
Are you trying to ruin my holiday, your going to have to back this up.

Tony

If he does go to Kildare, who are we to begrudge him in all fairness. He would be forwarding his career. If it turns out that the CB were not going to back his ideas for Laois, then why wouldn't he get out and join a county that have serious ambition? Of course it would hurt but we have to let the man do what he wants with his career. A simple statement to end all the needless speculation would be nice. If he does join Kildare, then the lack of statement thus far will make a whole lot of sense. All will be revealed with time; in the meantime, let's get someone from within Laois for 2020. I can't see anyone from outside the county putting in the required time, effort and passion to keep us driving forward. JS still the man for it if something can be worked out. If not, Chris Conway for me wouldn't be too far off.

Chrimtain

Quote from: Tony on August 15, 2019, 09:08:41 AM
If he does go to Kildare, who are we to begrudge him in all fairness. He would be forwarding his career. If it turns out that the CB were not going to back his ideas for Laois, then why wouldn't he get out and join a county that have serious ambition? Of course it would hurt but we have to let the man do what he wants with his career. A simple statement to end all the needless speculation would be nice. If he does join Kildare, then the lack of statement thus far will make a whole lot of sense. All will be revealed with time; in the meantime, let's get someone from within Laois for 2020. I can't see anyone from outside the county putting in the required time, effort and passion to keep us driving forward. JS still the man for it if something can be worked out. If not, Chris Conway for me wouldn't be too far off.

As I said before, I would hate to see him go to Kildare. Nothing will change my mind on that. I would see it as a kick in the proverbials, and an 'up yours' to Laois. It would also taint my view of the last two years.

Meanwhile, Chris Conway was an interested spectator at he match in OMP last might between BallyroanAbbey and Port.

GAA-SMART

What exactly has Chris Conway done on the sideline to warrant the Laois Senior Job ? Chris and Laois would be better off if he got involved at U14s and builded upwards and  try create something and gain experience instead of jumping into the top job where he is questionably qualified for if qualified at all.

Tony

He doesn't owe you or any of us anything. He gave his all to Laois for 2 years. If he wasn't getting the standard required to match his ambitions in Laois, then why wouldn't he go to Kildare. I'd like to find out one way or another, but if that scenario comes to light, then best of luck to him and shame on the people within the Laois CB who let him go.

Tony

Quote from: GAA-SMART on August 15, 2019, 09:53:30 AM
What exactly has Chris Conway done on the sideline to warrant the Laois Senior Job ? Chris and Laois would be better off if he got involved at U14s and builded upwards and  try create something and gain experience instead of jumping into the top job where he is questionably qualified for if qualified at all.
so who do you want then, evans?

Chrimtain

Quote from: Tony on August 15, 2019, 09:57:29 AM
He doesn't owe you or any of us anything. He gave his all to Laois for 2 years. If he wasn't getting the standard required to match his ambitions in Laois, then why wouldn't he go to Kildare. I'd like to find out one way or another, but if that scenario comes to light, then best of luck to him and shame on the people within the Laois CB who let him go.

He owes me nothing, but if he had not been given the opportunity to work with Laois footballers for the past two years, it is unlikely that he would be seen as an attractive option to Kildare.

GAA-SMART

Quote from: Tony on August 15, 2019, 09:58:12 AM
Quote from: GAA-SMART on August 15, 2019, 09:53:30 AM
so who do you want then, evans?

No not evans as I stated before.. but it annoys me when I see fanciful names being connected with no foundation whatsoever. There are many better qualified candidates than Chris Conway, Billy O Loughlin would be more qualified even tho he wouldn't be on my list. Point being he has at least put something into Laois Underage and got some experience instead of being connected because of name, playing years and looking after school teams. If I had a pick id go back to Liam Kearns and team in Jason Ryan as the trainer. Right or wrong that be my choice from available realistic candidates with experience and if Conway wanted to be a selector id be delighted.